Girl's generation on David Letterman show + will they become bigger than the beatles? (1 Viewer)

animeiswild

HSC
Re: Girl's generation on David Letterman show + will they become bigger than the beat

Ignorance is bliss.

Your attempt to constructively criticise me failed after the first sentence.

Why are you comparing traditional sound/vocals to modern music?

I blatantly stated 'chord progressions'. Do you not agree music is a dynamic form of art always influenced by change and evolution?

And ... Wtf is a Yui?
I am lost.... You did state "traditional Asian music = modern Asian music" Yes? ="=
In the beginning I never compared modern music to traditional music. I just stated I disliked most traditional pieces coz most sounded bad. It was you, however, that brought in stuff about modern music relating to traditional music.

Lol, dw about Yui =d

Ignorance is bliss but how does that apply to music? Not as though my perception of the world will change in anyway after the influence of music? What causes the bliss of not knowing things regarding music? Would I be happier if I didn't know? Lol. Does not compute. XD

Music is art, but what isn't these days?

Last edited:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Re: Girl's generation on David Letterman show + will they become bigger than the beat

Hey! That's not true!

There are many folk songs in Korea and in other parts of Asia that in my opinion holds more musical integrity than pop music of today.

If you look at traditional pieces they usually have complex, intricate chord progressions that have become the foundation of modern music today.

Therefore traditional Asian music = modern Asian music.

Since you hate old folk songs which equals to modern music I can conclude you hate music.

Lol.
NO. Traditional asian music used different scales/chord progressions.

Modern asian music is JUST a bastardised version of Western pop. Which has it's roots in funk/rock. Which in turn has it's roots in blues. Which in turn has its' roots in tribal African music.

Tribal african music has as much in common (if not more) with modern asian music as traditional asian music.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad

Modern asian music is JUST a bastardised version of Western pop. Which has it's roots in funk/rock. Which in turn has it's roots in blues. Which in turn has its' roots in tribal African music.

Tribal african music has as much in common (if not more) with modern asian music as traditional asian music.
I disagree to some extent.

It is known that many Korean ballads borrow (lesser these days due to the influence of the Western markets on Asian musc) from 'pansori' - a distinct, traditional type of sound of the percussional family.

The 4 by 4 song aka 'pop' music came from traditional music - this I thought incorporated all forms including Asian and European so that's my mistake on my behalf in stating it was just traditional Asian folk songs.

You stated that modern Asian music is a bastardised ver. of Western pop.

I agree though Western pop in itself is a bastardisation of itself mainly faulted to the technological boom of the late 80s and 90s where the use of synths/MIDIs replaced live instruments and a 'generic' electronica sound was formed. With the move towards globalisation in the late 90s and early 00s Asian countries were introduced to this 'new sound' from their Western counterparts - taking the influence on board and forming it into their own (unique?) genres i.e. Kpop, Cpop and Jpop where it was characterised by heavier synth lines, repetitive hooks and so on.

Music is always changing and evolves is kinda what i'm trying to get at where the sound of present has got ALOT to do with the music of the past.

And I can't be bothered addressing the African music part but I have read that is true to some extent but more so the influence is limited to the North American market which then trailed down into Asian markets so I guess your right.

Lol :S

Last edited:

Bendent

HSC

kpop even though has nice songs...deep down i presume most people would feel they are a bit superficial, which will be forgotten in the next few decades/century. Chopin's (which i <3 personally) pieces on the other hand have a universal appeal which can be felt by a wider audience. kpop on the other hand makes some people think "korean!" when you listen to it. just my 2c.

p.s. and ignore rural bogans coming in these kind of threads and then start talking about race, i.e. paraplegicmeilz/zombie omie jay

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

this hate the foreign look
hmm... well, those snsd people, i dont think any of them speak english. so.. how the hell am i supposed to talk to them about my feelings? <_<

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

hmm... well, those snsd people, i dont think any of them speak english. so.. how the hell am i supposed to talk to them about my feelings? <_<
Two of them are American so they speak fluent English. Don't give up hope.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Two of them are American so they speak fluent English. Don't give up hope.
oh okay.

but even if they can speak english, they're still not my type physically.

The Bui

HSC

oh okay.

but even if they can speak english, they're still not my type physically.
is just their foreign asian look doesnt seem attractive at all. Hate the cute asian look

inJust

HSC

David Letterman has an asian fetish.

Mikelseo

HSC
Uni Grad

I think not. So long as there are humans and the use of musical instruments, classical music will continue to be practiced and would be far from fading. Kpop on the other hand has no guarantee. I remember before the kpop wave, Chinese music was extremely popular for a few years and now look where it is now? Kpop will be the same. It'll die out eventually. Sorry about that.

Also you argue that you don't have a closed mind. How so? You show no indication of accepting other genres of music. Just like kpop there are songs that I like and dislike. You speak as though you completely hate all other music and there is no exception. How does that not show your closed mind?

And repetitiveness? Now that's not new with SNSD. Where were you when they released all their songs? Can you not hear their annoyingly repetitive music as well? Despite this they still win all the awards even if their song is crap. Talk about being biased to the max...

And what do you mean "It is still a shame that people find the relevance of classical music in the current world when it really doesn't do anything for the modern generation". So kpop actually does something for us? Oh really now? You're going to tell me there are 9 girls in this world who are genies and will grant me my wish? Or something about Taxis speeding in the night? Or stupid, love struck girls repeatedly crying 'gee'. I see it. EXTREMELY relevant to the modern society, my butt.
I donot think you are being reasonable. Kpop is better than almost all genres out there on absolute scale. Do you understand what it means by an absolute scale? It means the statement "Kpop is the best" is not an opinion but a fact. Whether you like it to be or not, you cannot change a fact. Also classical music is not even classical music anymore. Is long gone and dead. Classical music will act as a support for kpop when it turns progressive and incorporates other genres into it. When Kpop does incorporate other genres it will NOT mean that those genres are actually better but will be utilised in a way that will make kpop a much powerful genre. also you think Kpop isn't relevant to your life but that is because you are not listening to the true and deep meaning each artists like SNSD try transcend to potential audience and fans. This is where you have a closed mind not me. If you only can see how great kpop is compared to other genres especially classical you will understand what i mean.

Mikelseo

HSC
Uni Grad

Christina Aguilera gets all her songs from songwriters and her record company - true, but so does every artist in the Kpop industry. The difference between her and the entire Kpop industry is the mere fact that she can can genuinely sing - she's a true vocalist. She has massive pipes and on the basis of talent (singing, acting, dancing included) can destroy every kpop artist in the industry.
No a person who doesn't write her own music and is a major rip off of Whitney Houston and Maria Carry does not even qualify to be even compared with Kpop Musicians.

Mikelseo

HSC
Uni Grad

You don't have the qualifications to speak about musical origins. While every other genres might have its roots in funk and blues, Kpop is a totally innovated creation by people with real talent and creativity. Something the world has been lacking for a long time. You don't see anyone like kpop artists arising some any other countries. This shows how much of an exception the korean nation is.

Mikelseo

HSC
Uni Grad

Europop is trash. How dare you compare Kpop to such terribad music.
I honestly cannot agree more. Europop is just a major rip off of the many years of hardwork talented kpop artist put into in creating quality music for the world. The dance patterns, singing style and tone is just carbon copy. I guess this is a reason why European music will never be on a global calibre like Kpop.

Redyapper

HSC
N/A

I was so happy seeing SNSD perform on that show. Music was made to be global, people! It's one of the international languages, so to say that kpop will 'infect' other countries is totally invalid. I'll say right now that I'm not an SNSD fan but to have variation in the music industry is great. It shows the many views people have about the arts and this is great to see! Of course, kpop isn't going to suit everyone, just like Lady Gaga or Andre Rieu don't suit everyone. What disappoints me is that people practically cry out for attention by saying that something is terrible. Respect everyone's opinions. If you don't have anything supportive to say, don't say anything at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)