Girls Please Answer This. (1 Viewer)

aussiesurfer

HSC
Ok... I have a question.

On these boards nearly EVERY girl here says how they dont like metrosexual males. The thing that I dont get about this is that when I do my hair with gel, and try and scrub up alright I get a lot of looks and asked out usually if I go out... BUT when I dont bother with all that and just go out without the metrosexual look, I will rarely get a girl looking at me and barely get asked out. Now why is this? What dont I understand about this whole topic?

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Just the hair gel isnt metro. i don't think. Metrosexual men care about everything. the entire look. especially clothes. they tend to wear pink, or at least know what colours match and what doesnt. they care about what shoes they wear, and what hand and face moisturiser they use.

According to wikipedia: Metrosexuality is, according to British journalist Mark Simpson, the trait of an urban male of any sexual orientation who has a strong aesthetic sense and spends a great amount of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle.

so maybe you just don't look all that appealing without the hair gel. dressing nicely and 'scrubbing yourself up a bit' when you go out isnt exactly metrosexual. girls just like a guy who is well presented, but not over the top.

so when you dont bother with all that, the chicks just think you're a derro bummy street rat. or something. *shrugs*. it seems like the places you go are extremely shallow.

kb1509

NO COMPROMISE
HSC
i actually dont mind metrosexuals.. i mean.. of course there comes a stage when the guy is so full of himself.. but i think its good you take care of yourself... better than a stinky and gross looking dude.. honestly LOL

i like a guy who knows what matches with certain clothes and can colour co-ordinate.. my friends boyfriend even has a shoe fettish.. it may be bball shoes.. but a shoe fettish nonetheless

maybe its not nearly every girl..?!

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
i dont get the whole thing against metrosexuals in the first place. i understand there are guys that are a fair bit obsessive with their looks, but then again so are most women too..I take care of myself in that, a) i use wax if my hair is short, if its long then i use nothing, b) i do use moisturisers and face products to ensure i have a smooth face which my current gf loves and helps me with, and to be honest if i was a chick i would hate a ratty or rough uncared for face and c) i like to look good and wear clean clothes, i dont match colours or wear pink cause i hate pink, but i do like to look good..That doesnt make me a metro i just prefer to go out looking good than looking like a piece of crap..but thats my opinion and how i prefer to present myself. so all this metro bashing should stop as it is unjustified and unfair. is it so wrong for a guy to take care of himself? honestly the consesus against metros is stupid. as i said if i were a female i would prefer a man who took care of how he presented himself then some derro looking guy with holes in his shirts,pants and shoes..but thats just me

davin

HSC
N/A
there's a differerence in being hygenic and well groomed vs either being unkempt and a mess, or being overly focused on appearance in what is catagorised as metrosexual

aussiesurfer

HSC
Yeh, Well whether it is just groomed or not people do have different opinions of what metrosexual is. I have been called metro a few times.. I didnt know whether it was directed as an insult or not. And i hope i dont look derro when i dont wear gel :S ...lol

gracie007

HSC
hair gel isnt metro. heapps of guys use it. but i rkn metros r pretty seedy.

katy-g

HSC
OK... like when i think metrosexual i think david beckham. he's a huge metro. and he's fully in love with himself.

Someone who gives an effort into what they look like is of course, going to be noticed. Thats like saying... Orlando Bloom is a metro, i dont think he is highly metrosexual at all, i think he just has pride in his appearance which is nice :)

But when guys are totally padantic about themselves and take longer to get ready then an average girl would... that pretty much indicates their a dickhead.

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
katy-g said:
OK... like when i think metrosexual i think david beckham. he's a huge metro. and he's fully in love with himself.

Someone who gives an effort into what they look like is of course, going to be noticed. Thats like saying... Orlando Bloom is a metro, i dont think he is highly metrosexual at all, i think he just has pride in his appearance which is nice :)

But when guys are totally padantic about themselves and take longer to get ready then an average girl would... that pretty much indicates their a dickhead.
All people in Orlando Bloom's profession spend a HUGE amount of time, money and effort to look their best.

I think the key message is that being clean, smelling nice and dressing well doesn't make you a metrosexual, looking good doesn't make you a metrosexual.

Metrosexuals are the guys that have a "gay man's" taste in fashion but are in fact straight - ie they don't wear the same clothes as Average Joe trying to look good.

HSC
N/A
Metro is fine. Spending MORE time on yourself than your gf/potential gf does appearance-wise, is when it crosses the line.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
lol i would very easily choose the rugged, unshaven stubbly, wife beater clad guy than the overpowering perfume smelling guy with a tub of gel in his hair and a pink collared shirt on.

darkroomgirl

HSC
When guys scrub up nicely, girls love that... but when they start OBSESSING over their looks, i.e. when they start asking if their pores are huge, when they worry about the size of their butt (one of my friends actually bemoaned that his was too "perky"), when they spend more time in the bathroom than their sisters (I know shaving may take some time, but still!), then that's a HUGE turn-off. For me, when a guy slides over to the effeminate rather than the metrosexual, then that's when he's crossing the line from hot to absurd. My boyfriend, I reckon, makes the best out of both worlds (bit of bias here, but anyway). He dresses really, really nicely but he's not scared to get his clothes a bit dirty (he's a footy player), he's not overly self-conscious and he's just as comfortable in a football jersey as he is in a nice Ben Sherman shirt.

So in answer to your question... it's not that we hate the metrosexual look. It's just that we get really turned off by those who take it too far.

Slavrix

HSC
ill just stick in my computer world along with study, then i dont have ot worr abot this kinda stuff.....yet.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i am actually ashamed to admit that I spend quite a bit of time on myself - especially with hair preparation. I check for what clothes go together, and check myself out in the mirror extensively before I go out.
However, metero goes even further: its wearing designer stuff, pink shirts, etc, manicures, pedicures, waxing and the list goes on.

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
I take care of myself but I'm not metro, nor do I spend heaps on clothing. This isn't so much because I hate nice clothes. I just don't have the money, and clothes that try to look expensive always look tacky. If I don't have the money, I'm not going to go out of the way to pretend I do.

Anyway, I prefer spending money and time that most would on clothes and hair care on books, booze, weights, music gear, camping and snokling gear, good boots, lumber and paint to fix up my house.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
i hate to point out the obvious... but i love doing it and will anyway.

if you spend some time looking good, then you will get attention from girls, honestly. and i dont mean 5 hours doing your hair and making sure your pink shirt looks so hawt, i mean basics like keep your hands and fingernails clean, keep your hair and clothes clean, iron your stuff, pick clothes that work for you etc.

it's not about being metro, it's about picking the right clothes (stuff you like and that shows off your best feature) and maintaining basics that your mum taught you (such as washing, making sure your clothes dont smell etc)

i dont like metros but i hate slobs more.

HSC
i have nothing against metro's. one of my bestmatesis metro, he often gets mistaken for a queer but he's straight.. just very metro..
theres nothing wrong with metro males.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
your opinion is null cause it's biased. you have a * therefore there is nothing wrong with *.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)