god damned english! (1 Viewer)

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
HSC english .... should it be compulsory?

I want to poll everyone out there about the current HSC arrangements concerning english. I personally think the current structure is terrible. I think they should have a similar structure to England, that is english language is compulsory and english literature is an option. I don't think english literature is a bad subject, but making it compulsory disadvantages those who can't BS for 7 pages! Why is disecting literature compulsory and maths or science not? It isn't like you ever learn any english language in the current english course. Because of it I will most likely get a crap UAI and be unable to get into uni subjects that have absolutely nothing to do with english literature!

Plus my english teacher is a dumb American bitch who can't spell and gives you 2 for every anti-American satire you do.
:apig: :chainsaw:
Also I am a BoS forum n00b so this may not work....

So what does everyone out there think? :confused:

Last edited:

Over97

Banned
yeah, english sux shit, its a load of FUCKING crap and a waste of time, stupid and useless.
ok fair enough, whatever course u do in uni, you'll need to know how to write an essay and present you research and so forth

but learning how to analyse plays and all these dumbass stories and poems, and these dumbass language techniques (alliteration? WAHT THE FUCK IS THAT? blue ball, WOW U CAN FUCKING PUT WORDS TOGETHER THAT START WITH THE SAME FUCKING LETTER)

yeah english is gay

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
yeah they really need to replace english with a language and literacy based syllabus.. not fuckin analysing texts.. if its gonna be the compulsory units that count to UAI, then it should at least be the most important and relevant subject to life..

mon_mon

HSC
Well, i don't mind english, but perhaps they should allow a better integration from the SC, like i was really in the deep end when it came to HSC English, cause the essay style is pretty different.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeah even though i really like english i agree that a lot of people won't need the skills they've 'learnt' in high school english when they graduate

but then again if u think about it, there are so few things you learn in high school which you'll need to know in later life.

high school is just meant to stretch your mind anyway, and if you wanna do just language stuff and not much text analysis you probably should have done standard :p

Leanne

HSC
yeah exactly johnson...as if most things done in maths or science will even hyelp u in later in life! unless u become maths or science teachers...

Mazey

I kinda agree with the whole you should just study the english language but... its also good to study lit i guess. Cos its part of our culture and plus... lol horrible as this sounds, i think i DO appareciate texts more after i study them and think about them and stuff.

Like i'd never pick up any of Shakespeares plays and read them in my own time, but thats not to say i dont enjoy them u know?

Anyway essay writing's never fun :p

mon_mon

HSC
its true, Mazey. After doing English, a can't watch movies or read books without noticing the things they've done to trick their audience. It's made me more cynical but also i apreciate good texts so much more.

f001error

true i notice all that stuff now, but i hate it, just the BS way you got to answer, WTF would you give a speech about change or powerplay and use examples from texts ?! you wouldnt you will use real life examples.

ps i hate english

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
I don't think English is a bad subject, just that all the stuff we do is not worth being compulsory. I wouldn't take it up myself, I know plenty people like it, but I shouldn't be forced to do this stuff!!!!

Mazey

Aw yeh i guess tho like johnson said (and some other weirdo study i read) u dun use more than 50% of what u learn at school :p

The whole pt of english and all the bs skills u need is just to make u 'educated' ... tho when u think about that even, the concept of getting an 'education' is weird!!

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
i disagree... i think english should remain compulsory... we live in an english speaking country and it will help us more in our day to day lives than any other subjects that one would do at school... yeah maybe the whole language/literature thing is true to some extent but i think both are necessary... english is all around us and we need to know how to analyse texts etc so as to get the true meaning out of them

avazzi21

We dont study English literature solely to study the specific texts themselves, if that were the case then as you have said it would be useless in later life. However studying the texts is very useful in any walk of life whether you are consciously or subconsciously aware of the benefits By studying the texts it makes it easier to learn and explore the values and concepts contained within them, which in the majority of cases in the English course have great relevance to all students. For example changing self is far easier to understand and think about when we can see it illustrated or discussed in poems or articles, and the process of change or changing self is one that you will deal with no matter what your career, because change is inevitable. By studying the literature you may have noticed the outcomes, looking at how context shapes texts etc, by learning these kinds of outcomes through the texts which best demonstrate them we are able to understand context, which in turn helps us understand culture, and different peoples views, important even if you are a maths teacher. So as irrelevant as learning about literature may seem, if you look beyond the plot you will see it gives valuable skills helping us communicate, understand different people and different contexts and explore ideas that are universally relevant, making them a valuable part of the syllabus.:)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *~Dazed~*
i disagree... i think english should remain compulsory... we live in an english speaking country and it will help us more in our day to day lives than any other subjects that one would do at school... yeah maybe the whole language/literature thing is true to some extent but i think both are necessary... english is all around us and we need to know how to analyse texts etc so as to get the true meaning out of them
werd man!!

And avazzi21 sorta made my post :D ... so iwont double up on that but leave this little reminder...

...whilst i do agree there is so many unnecessary things in the course, the option was there to do standard, and complaining now about how it sucks or is too hard is not the BoS' fault but yours, remember you're the one that was given the choice to do this subject, and also the one who continued throughout the year...

...moral of the story... dont complain when you know deep down it was your fault

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think there are certain marking processes in my school that are a bit dodgy

and the fact that a 4 minute speech can have the same weighting as the AOS trials is baffling

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think english should stay the way it is. i mean, it is all about becomming 'educated'..
like, take those of you doing Frontline, you are now more aware of the media's misrepresentation of truth.
i admit there are some texts that arnt as valuable, but its all about valuing texts whether or not you like them, and whether or not they will have any impact on your later life.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
english needs to be compulsory because people need to know the english language. however, i don't know how having to bs for 7 pages, as you say, teaches us much about speaking the english language in everyday life. however, maybe they figure we are over grammer that we should have learnt in primary, and so this is the best way to expand and perfect our creative, analytical skills etc. it's also more interesting

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Oh yeah, what about oldschool grammar... no one knows that stuff and the language is turning into shit (take myself and C'town as examples!). And I didn't need school to tell me the media lies! You only have to go outside and live life for an hour and you'll realise that it aint sugary sweet and perfect?!

malayz_angel

Well I used to consider English (2, 3 and later 4 u) my favourite subjects until my wonderful teacher left and we got stuck with a stupid casual who's never taught English properly before. I HATE HER WITH A PASSION!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)