good advice for yr10 07 (1 Viewer)

-mz-u-wsh-

Cara Lee
HSC
Make sure when your choosing your year 11 subjects you really think if you want a uai or not.. i recommend even if you dont want a uai at the momment you still only choose one tvet course as i decided to undergo two tafe courses (retail cosemetic services & childrens services) im now entering year 12 and i am now wanting a uai which means i will probally have to repeat year 11 in 08... its a pity but good in someways as i never learnt how to study effectively or learnt how to pay attention in class..

A side note year 11 and 09 year 12 english work will be completly diffrent to the course that has been done the past few years as year 12 journey has been abolished! so dont bother looking at the notes of this year and past years prelim and hsc english topics!

hope i helped with a few querys or concerns..

P.s ask me for help with anything im here!!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
-mz-u-wsh- said:
Make sure when your choosing your year 11 subjects you really think if you want a uai or not.. i recommend even if you dont want a uai at the momment you still only choose one tvet course as i decided to undergo two tafe courses (retail cosemetic services & childrens services) im now entering year 12 and i am now wanting a uai which means i will probally have to repeat year 11 in 08... its a pity but good in someways as i never learnt how to study effectively or learnt how to pay attention in class..

A side note year 11 and 09 year 12 english work will be completly diffrent to the course that has been done the past few years as year 12 journey has been abolished! so dont bother looking at the notes of this year and past years prelim and hsc english topics!

hope i helped with a few querys or concerns..

P.s ask me for help with anything im here!!
Thanks for that =] No need to look through the english syllabus I guess..

HSC
i decided to undergo two tafe courses (retail cosemetic services & childrens services) im now entering year 12 and i am now wanting a uai which means i will probally have to repeat year 11 in 08...
I'm doing two vet course too, but i'm regretting choosing information technology.

You can still get a UAI, but only one vet couse will be included in your hsc.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
so its pretty much no use doing past HSC english exams

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
kaz1 said:
Well it is a good place to get a basis on what type of questions you'll be answering throughout the HSC course but the material used will presumably not be relevant.

bored of sc

HSC
should you do a HSC course based on how well you went in that subject in the school certificate?

I don't know whether to do standard or advanced english? should I maybe do standard if I get below 80 in the SC test and advanced if I get above 80??

:confused: which should I choose?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
If you've scored in the 80's then Advanced should be fine for you.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
Aplus said:
If you've scored in the 80's then Advanced should be fine for you.
It can really differ from person to person. One of my friend who's barely just got a band 4 in her English SC, did advanced English, and at the end, she came top 10 out of the 150 or so people that's doing this course in our school.

It's really just motivation.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
soopacow said:
It can really differ from person to person. One of my friend who's barely just got a band 4 in her English SC, did advanced English, and at the end, she came top 10 out of the 150 or so people that's doing this course in our school.

It's really just motivation.
Yeah I agree. Even if you don't do so well in the year 10 school certificate for english, it doesn't mean that you cannot do well in English Advanced. I've heard from teachers that after year 10 is finished, many people change, as the HSC is coming up and they want to study harder and are more motivated. So it all depends on you. But yeah, I'd recommend for you to do english advanced. And it is possible to get a band 6 in Standard English, as I've seen from statistics that a minority do get it.

So yeah it's up to you bored of sc :).

bored of sc

HSC
well I've put down advanced (as seen in my signature) and I can always change to standard if advanced is too challenging

thanks guys for all your opinions, really worthwhile

oh! I am quite motivated (have studied for a day before) so I can probably cope the harder concepts in advanced cause I can work hard for a long time

anyways, cheers :)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
kaz1 said:
For 09'ers, doing the past english papers will be useless as the syllabus is changing.

But, for all other subjects - It will help. :)

ZEROtheHERO said:
I'm doing two vet course too, but i'm regretting choosing information technology.

You can still get a UAI, but only one vet couse will be included in your hsc.
If you have two VET courses and one of them is your 12th unit, you'll recieve a uai but, if you do two VET courses and have only 10 units, you wont get a uai. Board of studies allows only one VET course to be counted towards your uai, as these courses are thought to be easier.

Edit: Added second quote.

Last edited:

-mz-u-wsh-

Cara Lee
HSC
yep it depends on the tafe course.. like if i had of done something like accounting an childcare i could of got a uai as doing accounting is a uai based tvet course.. but many courses do not contribute to going to a uai... and me always being naieve i just didnt care about a UAI... but i know im just going to sit a makeup course sometime next year or the year after that!!

-mz-u-wsh-

Cara Lee
HSC
and you cant really choose wether your in advance or standard *unless in like yr 9 & 10 you recived top marks* and same with general maths and 2 unit maths... i know my maths teacher explained it too me last year when we were in ranked classes E.g.
Say you have 4 maths classes 10m1 - 10m4 10m1 being the highest ranked students... Maths one and about half to 3/4 of maths2 being in 2unit and the rest of them plus maths 3 and 4 being put into general maths.. even if you were in maths 3 and you wanted to be in 2 unit you would not be placed there..
and another thing its easier to move down a class than up a class. like ive seen so many adv english and 2unit maths drop down but have not seen any one in stnd or gen maths move up!! so its not you that decides on it.. its the schools choice!!

o and one more thing... dont choose subjects because you did well with them in the school cert.. i sucked at year 10 science but chose Biology.. and im getting better mark than the hsc.. and same with maths.. i did bad in yr 10 maths but im doing better in prelim maths..

Choose the subjects you like and not the ones you just do well at!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)