Good Company for ADSL (1 Viewer)

Ghost1788

HSC
I've been playing Battlefield 2 online which has VOIP built in and it sounds preety good the VOIP that is....

VOIP shouldnt be expensive cause it is free until it hits the local exchange of the destination.

The internet isnt really owned by anyone so there is no one to charge VOIP call costs except by MB usage which would be included in the monthly download limit if one exists...

Ghost1788

HSC
yups instead of using a phone number you 'dial' the ip address of the computer

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
There are two kinds of VOIP out there. Softphones (completely software based) these are usually completely free. A good example of this is Skype. The other type is provided by companies like engin, it is a hardware VOIP, it plugs in between your modem (so you need a spare ethernet port on it) and your normal home phone. Engin does have a monthly service charge, though calls to engin users are free and calls to everyone else cheap.

Things to remember though:
You are still stuck paying line rental on your landline phone.
VOIP does use up bandwidth, slowing surfing whilst talking.
You do pay for the uploads and downloads it uses.
Make emergency calls from the landline as this gives emergency services your location information VOIP does not. (Though it will in the future).

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
addymac said:
There are two kinds of VOIP out there. Softphones (completely software based) these are usually completely free. A good example of this is Skype. The other type is provided by companies like engin, it is a hardware VOIP, it plugs in between your modem (so you need a spare ethernet port on it) and your normal home phone. Engin does have a monthly service charge, though calls to engin users are free and calls to everyone else cheap.

Things to remember though:
You are still stuck paying line rental on your landline phone.
VOIP does use up bandwidth, slowing surfing whilst talking.
You do pay for the uploads and downloads it uses.
Make emergency calls from the landline as this gives emergency services your location information VOIP does not. (Though it will in the future).
yeh this is whats gonna make VOip more3 expensive i read

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Calls with engin, i think are 10cents locally and like 30 cents/min to mobiles. Engin keeps a record of your location, and they do soemthing with it to ensure that it displays when you make a 000 call, so that i have heard. so unless you change your address and dont tell them, you'll be fine.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The biggest reason NOT to get VOIP is that even when you do and even if you make all your calls with it you have to keep paying line rental on a landline even if you don't use it (except for the net).

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
addymac said:
The biggest reason NOT to get VOIP is that even when you do and even if you make all your calls with it you have to keep paying line rental on a landline even if you don't use it (except for the net).
u have to use the microphone when tlaking using VOIP . however that requires you to be at the computer. This means u cant wlak around, go to room if the computer is in the living room.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i have a question about TPG for any of u who are with them.

it said that for new cutomers i can get the 1.5 mbs plan instead of the 512kbs. how ever i am just wondering am i considered a new customer if i am already connected with TPG with dial up internet>?

kalli

HSC
SashatheMan said:
i have a question about TPG for any of u who are with them.

it said that for new cutomers i can get the 1.5 mbs plan instead of the 512kbs. how ever i am just wondering am i considered a new customer if i am already connected with TPG with dial up internet>?

i was with TPG dialup and swapped to the 1.5 no worries

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)