Good Decision? (1 Viewer)

h0lla@dizQT

HSC
Well for both years 11 and 12 i was stuck doing the advanced mathematics course, i started alright in year 11 with a score of 70s and in year 12 im ending up in a score of high 50s low 60s, in terms of rank im in the bottom half of the class.

then just before this holidays before the trials some of us decided to drop down to general. I took the offer, but i have to catch up and learn 2 years worth of work. Alot of the teachers say i'm better of over there and will definitely get a better mark.

what do you think? am i really better off?

oh considering i want to do a science related course in the future. aiming for a uai with about 85+ ..

oh and the rest of my subjects are ancient his, bio, chem, ext his, adv english, SOR1, and now general maths..

tennille

HSC
At some universities, the minimal mathematical knowledge is mathematics (which allows you to do the "general maths" of uni). It's a tough call for you because you're finding the mathematics course difficult, but you want to do a science course.

Have a look at some of the requirements for science related courses on the uni websites. I know for B science (and its related streams) at usyd, you need to have done mathematics (although I don't think it's compulsory but you may have a lot of trouble in first year) because you need to do first year maths, but other unis may be different.

h0lla@dizQT

HSC
tennille said:
At some universities, the minimal mathematical knowledge is mathematics (which allows you to do the "general maths" of uni). It's a tough call for you because you're finding the mathematics course difficult, but you want to do a science course.

Have a look at some of the requirements for science related courses on the uni websites. I know for B science (and its related streams) at usyd, you need to have done mathematics (although I don't think it's compulsory but you may have a lot of trouble in first year) because you need to do first year maths, but other unis may be different.
yeah i have had a look at it, but most courses just say 2 unit mathematics.. which is confusing cause as far as i know mathematics general is considered 2 unit too isn't it..?!?! :confused:

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
h0lla@dizQT said:
yeah i have had a look at it, but most courses just say 2 unit mathematics.. which is confusing cause as far as i know mathematics general is considered 2 unit too isn't it..?!?! :confused:
General maths and 2 unit maths are different courses.

ellen.louise

HSC
I think if you were getting such low scores in advanced you are definitely better off in general for now. You can do catch up courses in uni. You'll probably also find that a lot of the 'catching up' you have to do is actually stuff you've already done, eg simpler trigenometry, maybe annuities and stuff like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)