Good math tutor place at bankstown? (1 Viewer)

starryblue

HSC
apparently there's one in bankstown but i don't know the name of it so does anyone know/go there?
thankks

starryblue

HSC
terry lee? can you tell me more about him? like prices for yr 11 tutoring and stuff?

Aysce

HSC
All I know is he makes you take a test to see whether you're capable or not (based on word of friends)

Not sure if he tutors year 11 tbh.

qwerty44

HSC
All I know is he makes you take a test to see whether you're capable or not (based on word of friends)

Capable? Wasn't the main point of tutoring originally to help the students that are less capable. It's obviously changed but that's pretty slack to only take 'capable' students imo.

Aysce

HSC
Capable? Wasn't the main point of tutoring originally to help the students that are less capable. It's obviously changed but that's pretty slack to only take 'capable' students imo.
Again this is only from what I've heard.

pacman911

HSC
I think your talking about el hosiri's, his the most reputable/well known in bankstown-greenacre. Very expensive though

iampeterr

King
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah Terry does take year 11's but his daughter, which is a LAW student will teach you. He will take you for year twelve.
i think there are no more spots unless you're starting year 11/12 next year.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

His daughter teaches the Year 11's (sometimes his other son too, since he has 2, occasionally comes back to NSW because iirc he's studying Dentistry in QLD).

There is an initial test for entrance to the Year 11 class and then tests every couple of weeks.

For Year 12, there is no 'entrance test' if you've been there since Year 11, but you will get kicked out if you maintain a low standard and show little effort.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah Terry does take year 11's but his daughter, which is a LAW student will teach you. He will take you for year twelve.
i think there are no more spots unless you're starting year 11/12 next year.
His daughter (the Year 11 teacher) is actually an excellent teacher. Her name is Felicity Lee, I went there for a week in Year 11 (apparently I got a credited lesson for some reason) and she was very clear and helpful. The environment there is so-so, not very competitive at all. But the teaching resources are excellent, I must say.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Why would you want to go to Terry Lee for maths? Wouldn't he just teach from his book? May as well buy the book, study it yourself and get a different tutor.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Why would you want to go to Terry Lee for maths? Wouldn't he just teach from his book? May as well buy the book, study it yourself and get a different tutor.
Because there are some things you just can't learn as effectively from a book.

Also quite often, Terry uses 'alternative methods' that are best explained by himself of course, as opposed to learning it through somebody else who self taught it.

Suppose you have an original method of doing a question and you taught it to somebody else.

Who do you think would be better at explaining it if the student has any questions..?

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Because there are some things you just can't learn as effectively from a book.

Also quite often, Terry uses 'alternative methods' that are best explained by himself of course, as opposed to learning it through somebody else who self taught it.

Suppose you have an original method of doing a question and you taught it to somebody else.

Who do you think would be better at explaining it if the student has any questions..?
Yeah, well of course Terry Lee would be better than the book itself :p. I don't really use his book, but I noticed a lot of his alternative method is just doing it mentally to skip some lines (some of his methods which probably wouldn't be allowed in exams). Anyway just saying, may as well just do the book and get yourself a different tutor to get a variety of sources.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Looks like Mr Lee has more recently authored maths textbooks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)