Got rejected from doing subjects? (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Had my interview today :( there still trying to make me pick subjects like pe and Cafs?? They said I can do sor2 and they would see about extension english depending how I go over the following semester. There refusing chemistry so far and I need to go have another meeting with my principal on Tuesday :
:evilfire: I contacted bored of studies today about it and I was told to again contact my principal and there was nothing they could do about it?? :frown2:
Q

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
SuchSmallHands said:
If all that you've learnt in regards to chemistry and physics in junior years is Newton's three laws, you're probably going to struggle a bit
Do you think I should try chem and extension?
That is not true. did you do light? Did you do astronomy? Did you do chemical equations? This is year 10 syllabus work. You have done more than you think.
If you enjoyed year 10 Science, then pick the subject that suits your science. Are you considering Biology?
How many hours of study after school are you prepared to do? If you do 4 hours for say 4 days, you should be fine to do "harder" subjects.
Just do what you want. Do you have any future aspirations? Pick subjects that will relate to your uni course.

nkw

HSC
N/A
That is not true. did you do light? Did you do astronomy? Did you do chemical equations? This is year 10 syllabus work. You have done more than you think.
If you enjoyed year 10 Science, then pick the subject that suits your science. Are you considering Biology?
How many hours of study after school are you prepared to do? If you do 4 hours for say 4 days, you should be fine to do "harder" subjects.
Just do what you want. Do you have any future aspirations? Pick subjects that will relate to your uni course.
I haven't done any of those topics you mentioned.

deloving

HSC
From what I know chemical equations is not part of the syllabus. Some schools, like mine, covered it anyway.

deloving

HSC
I didn't cover astronomy or light either lol
I did light and covered a bit of astronomy in year 9. I don't know why your school hasn't covered the basic syllabus topics. I'm not judging, but can we get a rough estimate of your school's ranking? You must unfortunately be attending a less capable school, hence why they don't want students doing subjects that are considered hard (i.e. sciences).

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
E.g. the reflective, refracting and absorbing of light?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Odds are the school is doing it for your benefit. That is what so many students do not understand.. Apparently, every single student is going to get 99 ATAR and become a doctor or lawyer.. At least if you ask the student anyway..
As harsh as it sounds, perhaps they are not the subjects for you?
The fact that I do not see any Mathematics in your subjects and you want to do physics and chem has gotten me worried. If you are no good at Maths, I can all but guarantee that you will be no good at Physics and Chemistry. This doesn't come from stereotypes, it comes from results. I have analysed data and correlated Mathematics with Physics and Chemistry and there is a distinct trend, at least within the schools which I have analysed.
If you feel like you are being hard done by, best you can do is appeal to the Board of Studies.. But, keep in mind that your teachers know you, they know your abilities.. Of course you think you can do it, but you are somewhat biased.
Teachers have YOUR best interests in mind, not theirs.

nkw

HSC
N/A
Odds are the school is doing it for your benefit. That is what so many students do not understand.. Apparently, every single student is going to get 99 ATAR and become a doctor or lawyer.. At least if you ask the student anyway..
As harsh as it sounds, perhaps they are not the subjects for you?
The fact that I do not see any Mathematics in your subjects and you want to do physics and chem has gotten me worried. If you are no good at Maths, I can all but guarantee that you will be no good at Physics and Chemistry. This doesn't come from stereotypes, it comes from results. I have analysed data and correlated Mathematics with Physics and Chemistry and there is a distinct trend, at least within the schools which I have analysed.
If you feel like you are being hard done by, best you can do is appeal to the Board of Studies.. But, keep in mind that your teachers know you, they know your abilities.. Of course you think you can do it, but you are somewhat biased.
Teachers have YOUR best interests in mind, not theirs.
I actually ended up swapping physics for maths as a sort of negotiation thing but they still are putting up a fight. I'm not naturally good at maths. I enjoy it and I enjoy problem solving which is why I really like chemistry :smile: but I'm just not that great at maths in general, I make a lot of careless mistakes even if I know the exercise quite well. I've had this issue ever since I was in like grade 3. I understand that the school wants me to achieve good marks, however I've seen myself work hard before and I know for a fact that challenging and stronger academic subjects are more engaging and I feel like I would be more likely to succeed in chemistry over something like cafs or modern history.

Lol I know I probably sound really whiny about this and to everyone else this is probably quite a mindless topic, where its either call the Board Of Studies to appeal or pick something easier. But I really wanted to do chemistry and I can just already see myself not being able to do it and its really upsetting. I feel like the bored are going to tell me to take it up with the principal again and the principal will tell me I can't do it.

nkw

HSC
N/A
I did light and covered a bit of astronomy in year 9. I don't know why your school hasn't covered the basic syllabus topics. I'm not judging, but can we get a rough estimate of your school's ranking? You must unfortunately be attending a less capable school, hence why they don't want students doing subjects that are considered hard (i.e. sciences).
135 I'm pretty sure. We did a lot of ecosystem and ozone layer stuff. I don't know science was a blur for me last year. We kind of got off topic and we watched a lot of YouTube videos.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Do you think I should try chem and extension?
I think you should, you can always drop. First day of chemistry, class had 27 students. Second day of chemistry, 22. After half yearlies my class has 17 people. It's better than always wondering how you could have gone if you'd tried.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I actually ended up swapping physics for maths as a sort of negotiation thing but they still are putting up a fight. I'm not naturally good at maths. I enjoy it and I enjoy problem solving which is why I really like chemistry :smile: but I'm just not that great at maths in general, I make a lot of careless mistakes even if I know the exercise quite well. I've had this issue ever since I was in like grade 3. I understand that the school wants me to achieve good marks, however I've seen myself work hard before and I know for a fact that challenging and stronger academic subjects are more engaging and I feel like I would be more likely to succeed in chemistry over something like cafs or modern history.

Lol I know I probably sound really whiny about this and to everyone else this is probably quite a mindless topic, where its either call the Board Of Studies to appeal or pick something easier. But I really wanted to do chemistry and I can just already see myself not being able to do it and its really upsetting. I feel like the bored are going to tell me to take it up with the principal again and the principal will tell me I can't do it.
I didn't see the lack of maths, I'd definitely recommend against physics without math, I wanted to physics over chem at first but since I don't have math either I was told that I'd be at a sizable disadvantage if I was going for band 6. Similarly to you, I made a lot of stupid mistakes in maths, I wasn't terrible (4/100) but not excellent either and I just didn't like the hours of mindlessly applying other people's logic. I do like the problem solving side of it though, and chemistry really focuses on that so I think you'd like it a lot (I do). You shouldn't have to bargain with your school in terms of subjects, do what you want; it's your future. If you think you're capable go for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)