gough whitlam (1 Viewer)

jonowang

HSC
what did gough whiltam contribute to australia in post war development? i got no idea what this guy has done. all i know is medibank and free uni for all.

anyone got notes for this?

K

khorne

Omg? For real? This guy did everything...
General:

Made Uni free (for a while)

Women's rights:

equal wage
anti-discrimination in workforce
no tax on contraceptive
removed stigma attached to divorce, and poor divorce laws

Aboriginies:

Several services and organisations to help them
introduced land policies
Gave right to self-determination

International

Built links with china (recognised the communist state)
Made australia more independant

He did so much...

jonowang

HSC
sry guys, just kinda not in the mood to do it. been studying too much for my eco test

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
In 1972, Whitlam withdrew troops from Vietnam. Whitlam's government during the post war period was able to establish diplomatic relations with communist countries such as North Korea and North Vietnam. His government was the first western government to recognise communist China and begun trade. This is because Whitlam and the Labour Party believed they should strive to work with their Asian neighbours rather than confront them.

He established new Commonwealth organisations to deal with Aboriginal and Environmental issues, ended conscription in the Vietnam War and provided free tertiary level education (University). The organisations were the Law Reform Commission, Aboriginal Land Rights Commission, Social Welfare Comission and an agency for concerning Women's Affairs.

He overlooked the passing of a Commonwealth Bill or legislation (I think thats what it is referred to, please clarify with other sources) called the "family law act of 1975" which led to the creation of the family court.

He set up the Australian National Parks and Wildlife Service and the Australian Heritage commission.

He also passed down many other legislations that include:
1. The "Prices Justification Act of 1973, commonwealth", which established a committee to overlook the prices of goods and services sold to consumers.
2. The "Racial Discrimination Act of 1975, commonwealth", which made it illegal to racial discriminate others. The law concerning racial discrimation had jurisdiction in the areas of employment, accessing public places, the ability to purchase a good or service from a place, renting property and etc.
3. The "Trade Practices Act of 1974, commonwealth", created copyright infringements, made restrictive trade practices illegal and made sure that consumers were protected from faulty products and misleading conducts by the seller or manufacturer.
4. The "Administrative Appeals Tribunal Act of 1975, commonwealth", was created so that it provided the ability to reflect the decisions made by government ministers.

He also devised the National Pipeline Authority to review the planning and construction of a natural gas pipeline system for the nation. He also implemented the Health Issurance Act of 1973, commonwealth legislature, to create a national and uniform health scheme referred to Medibank. This legislature offered free public hospital treament and a significant proportion of the cost for medical service paided by the government. As you mentioned in your first post. Sorry for the repetition, just wanted to reinforce it.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
From memory:
- Increased spending in education : Abolished university fees
- Medibank: the universal health insurance scheme
- Changed the voting age from 21 to 18
- Equal pay for women
- Recognised the Aboriginals traditional ownership of the land.
- Mining on Aboriginal lands was stopped
- Abolished conscription and removed all remaining personnel from Vietnam
- Supported arts through increased spending
- Improved the opportunities of Aboriginal peoples and migrants through a variety of programs.
- Recognition of the emerging multiculturalism of Australian society
- Changed the immigration policy
- Abolished White Australia policy

Etc.etc. etc...

Hoped that helped.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Suprised noone mentioned the eradication of the White Australia Policy in 1973.

Riot09

HSC
The significance of gough whitlam was that he was in the very centre of what most modern scholers consider,to be was proberly the most dramatic event in the history of Australian federal politics.The whitlam dismissal highlighted the Constitutional significance of the Governor General,because No one thought those powers would be used, even if they thought they existed.The very fact that the governor general could sack a democratically elected government was very controversial among politicians,in the media and the general public and as a result (or as i call it the big 3 which i use to connect my points and highlight the cause and effect of what happened in history or in short answers or essays.it makes the writing longer and sound like you covered a whole lot in youre response so try it if you can) and as a result the dismissal changed the nature of politics,Party politics became more aggressive and less friendly than before the dismissal.Which just highlighted the great impact this had on the national stage.In conclusion(the question says to asses the significance after all) the whitlam dismissal was a very controversial and shocking event in Australian history which led to many,people questioning the morality,powere-play and ethics of what the role of the governor general and Australian politics.

please give me a mark and post comment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)