Government Spending on the Arts (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I read a Letter to the Editor in yesterday's Daily Telegraph attacking the NSW Government for spending $110 million on the redevelopment of the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, instead of spending the money on healthcare or transport. I ask why there is no such criticism of the $5.9 billion spent by the NSW Government on the Sydney Olympics? $690 million to build Stadium Australia (the Telstra Stadium), $197 million for the Sydney Superdome? What makes sporting any more valid for funding in Society than the Arts?

Discuss.

lengstar

HSC
Cause Arts isn't a neccessity. It's there to promote intellect and broaden an understanding of the world and generally seen as an activity left to those of wealthier standing in society. Sports is aim at the broader community and the general population take up sport more than arts. You can't use the Olympic facilities as an effective argue as the facilities can be used for numerous functions besides sports, the Olympics itself is a big thing, sports promotes health, and it boosted tourism and the economy as opposed to Art which... well I can't think of anything Art has done for anyone.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
lengstar said:
Cause Arts isn't a neccessity. It's there to promote intellect and broaden an understanding of the world and generally seen as an activity left to those of wealthier standing in society.
As a leftist, I find it really strange that you don't believe that people are equal. So only those with wealth require a greater understanding of the world and intellect? This is a novel way to examine the divide between the rich and poor.

Sports is aim at the broader community and the general population take up sport more than arts.
1) Actually, the arts are diverse, and include theatre, music, opera, art etc. Sports are a rather narrow field, and while they may appeal to some on an extremely basic level, its very hard to argue that sports appeal to a broader range of people.

2) WOW! So there are more professional athletes than graphics designers, artists, musicians, actors, directors, photographers, set designers etc. Stats please?

You can't use the Olympic facilities as an effective argue as the facilities can be used for numerous functions besides sports, the Olympics itself is a big thing, sports promotes health, and it boosted tourism and the economy as opposed to Art which... well I can't think of anything Art has done for anyone.
Youre right! The Olympic grounds are often used for concerts, and artistic exhibitions.

As a leftist, i thought you'd recognise and appreciate that the arts

- Promote cultural understanding and diversity, and additionally promote international links.
- Allow for expression of political views from members of society who' views may otherwise not be heard, i.e.: Aboriginal Theatre.
- Can lead to innovation and inspiration of new political and philosophical movements and can act as catalysts for social change.
- May be beneficial economically, see Australia's relationship with the American film industry. Hell, LOOK AT THE AMERICAN FILM INDUSTRY.

Also, the arts are a source of enjoyment and pleasure.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
Thinking is just so overrated. Postmoderism is overated. Realism is the now.
Thinking is for the elite apparently. ;)

lengstar

HSC
haha neo what makes you think i'm still left? and whats with calling me a left? are you going to place me under left just cause i vote or believe in more leftist ideals? you can't categorise me and anyways i was just giving the post creators ideas about why there is more spending on the olympic facilities.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
A society without the arts is no society at all. I'm one of those who'd be willing to argue that the Arts are just as important to society as healthcare or transport. That Arts is more important than Sports is a no-brainer as while sports keeps the body happy, the Arts keep the mind alive.

lengstar

HSC
Phanatical said:
A society without the arts is no society at all. I'm one of those who'd be willing to argue that the Arts are just as important to society as healthcare or transport. That Arts is more important than Sports is a no-brainer as while sports keeps the body happy, the Arts keep the mind alive.
i'm pretty sure the general population don't like having their minds stimulated TOO much. thats why theres tv.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
lengstar said:
haha neo what makes you think i'm still left? and whats with calling me a left? are you going to place me under left just cause i vote or believe in more leftist ideals? you can't categorise me and anyways i was just giving the post creators ideas about why there is more spending on the olympic facilities.
I can either pigeonhole you as a leftist or a troll. What would you prefer? :rolleyes:

Bone577

HSC
N/A
The Olympics have many financial benefits. Why would any country host the Olympics if it didn't have economic benefits?

I personally think sports for the most part are a massive waste of resources, which are far better in the Arts, but established power benefits more from sports.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Carr is a big supporter of the Arts. It was his work that allowed the Sydney Conservatorium of Music to be redeveloped into the world-class facility it is today.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
lengstar said:
are you going to place me under left just cause i vote or believe in more leftist ideals?
read that back to yourself

K

katie_tully

Asquithian said:
Thinking is just so overrated. Postmodernism is overated. Realism is the now. Constructionalism is literally dead.

Death of thinking as the summer months drift into daze as i draw closer to dying. If only i was a kid forever
I'm doing Retreat from the Global
FUCK I HATE POSTMODERNISM.

K

katie_tully

Anywho;
If you go back a few hundred years ago, even a few thousand, "art" has always been funded quite generously. I think though, during the 20th century there were too many other things going on, wars, technoglogical advances... We sort of jumped from the 19th century, right into the 20th century and art for a while was forgotten.
I guess too, because alot of art was based on religion before the 19th century, when the Enlightenment happened, religion through art became forgotten. We started getting literary theories such as structrualism, post colonialism, post modernism, feminism to try and place society into a block, and with those came art... Mainly because art is the easiest way to express ones self...
I think there is other things Carr should spend money on, like health or education, but at the same time preserving art when it has somewhat been forgotten by society as a whole is a good thing.

lengstar

HSC
Nick said:
read that back to yourself
i really should've added past tense to that but i was being facetious when i said it

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Yes, NSW, and Australia are still huge, thanks to the Olympic Games. In our LGA, the council has decided, in all their wisdom, that they want to build a performing arts centre. This will be right in the middle of town, were you already struggle to get parking spaces...in the middle of a weekday! The $2 million+ they are spending on it could be used to improve our roads, where there is at least 5 pot holes on every street...stupid Nationals and stupid councils.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
bug123 said:
Art is simply a three letter word for bullshit

Oh well you're a product of it

(regardless if you actually want to or not)

You:

-Watch Movies (directors, writers, actors, musicians, designers determine the way they should market this film ie the ads and the future dvd or video cover: ie a lot of people involved)
-Buy CD's (musicians, people involved in their tours and they management)
-Listen to Music/Go to concerts (as above, and if you argue that the musician may not require training, think about the people behind the scenes)
-Go to BoredofStudies (someone designed this layout for your viewing pleasure)
-Read Books (writers, editors etc)
-Watch advertisements (directors, musicians... same as film)
-Read/or at least View Magazines - same deal as books except graphic artists and ad designers come in
-Watch TV - every single show requires a whole crew that has dedicated themselves to the arts

and etc.

sex_bomb_410

ur_inner_child said:
Oh well you're a product of it

(regardless if you actually want to or not)

You:

-Watch Movies (directors, writers, actors, musicians, designers determine the way they should market this film ie the ads and the future dvd or video cover: ie a lot of people involved)
-Buy CD's (musicians, people involved in their tours and they management)
-Listen to Music/Go to concerts (as above, and if you argue that the musician may not require training, think about the people behind the scenes)
-Go to BoredofStudies (someone designed this layout for your viewing pleasure)
-Read Books (writers, editors etc)
-Watch advertisements (directors, musicians... same as film)
-Read/or at least View Magazines - same deal as books except graphic artists and ad designers come in
-Watch TV - every single show requires a whole crew that has dedicated themselves to the arts

and etc.
so what?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)