Graphics Calculators-->Working Out (1 Viewer)

heyyawatever

Watch this space
HSC
Mine has proven to be a godsend. Saves time and stress ,while making the more complex exercises seem fun.

I have wondered what kind of working out do I have to show in exams. Have heard somewhere that you can just write down your input data from the calc and prove that you have substituted the formule and you will get full marks for questions. -->is this true/ false?

I can't find any useful information in regards to working out on the real bos website.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I have never used a Graphics Calculator, but because some of them are approved by the board of studies, l odn't see why you can't put the working out as input data. If l were in your position, to be on the safe side l would do working out as normal.

Beaker

If the question gives you the answer and says proove that so and so equals so and so then the calculator is only useful to really double check your working and confirm that it works.

However in saying that depending on the marking criteria and how many marks are awarded you can get away with just writing the question, then the answer however I always put myself on the safe side and do as much working as possible given the timeframe.

MouNtY

I heard that these calculators are really good. Are they worth the money? And exactly how much time would it save you on questions?

I also heard that some can be very difficult to use.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by heyyawatever
Mine has proven to be a godsend. Saves time and stress ,while making the more complex exercises seem fun.

I have wondered what kind of working out do I have to show in exams. Have heard somewhere that you can just write down your input data from the calc and prove that you have substituted the formule and you will get full marks for questions. -->is this true/ false?

I can't find any useful information in regards to working out on the real bos website.
Yes, it's acceptable to write/draw the screen with your input data as the working out. However, I would learn to do the problems manually as well, just in case.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by DooNy_TeChY
I heard that these calculators are really good. Are they worth the money? And exactly how much time would it save you on questions?

if u r in yr 12, i wouldnt even think about getting one, its too late to learn effectively how to use it, + it is BIG bucks
and they can be REALLY difficult to use

Beaker

Originally posted by Lundy
Yes, it's acceptable to write/draw the screen with your input data as the working out. However, I would learn to do the problems manually as well, just in case.
Yes but as I said the calculators are sometimes irrelevant. Teachers know that a lot of studnets use them for just about every questions therefore they word the questions differently. Instead of solving a problem they will make you prove the problem. Sometimes they will give you the answer and give you the first line of working but leave two lines blank. This is worth most likely two marks, if you don't know how to perform the operation you get nothing as the answer is provided there's no point writing that down from the calculator.

So yes its absolutely essential to know what your calculator is doing for you, in the same sense if you calculator ran out of batteries you should still get those questions correct it should of just taken longer.

Beaker

Originally posted by DooNy_TeChY

They are just over $100.

If you are stuck on topics that the calculator can assist you on eg: algebra, statistics and problem solving (equation solver) then it is wise to get one.

However, if you plan to just bludge off it and relax to an extent and let it do all the work I wouldnt' suggest it because it is late in the course and if you have made it this far ok you can do the whole thing just as well.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I hardly used my graphics calculator in the actual hsc. I felt more comfortable with the scientific one I'd had since yr 8. It got confusing when it came to entering all the data in the right places. If you're going to rely on your calc during the exam, make sure you know exactly what you're doing. It's better to practice with it than lose marks because you pressed a wrong button or forgot to change the settings.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by Beaker
Yes but as I said the calculators are sometimes irrelevant. Teachers know that a lot of studnets use them for just about every questions therefore they word the questions differently. Instead of solving a problem they will make you prove the problem. Sometimes they will give you the answer and give you the first line of working but leave two lines blank. This is worth most likely two marks, if you don't know how to perform the operation you get nothing as the answer is provided there's no point writing that down from the calculator.
Well, I don't remember ever having faced a question like that. As long as you know the formula (and you're given the formulas anyway) and how to substitute it, you'll be fine.

loucee

what's wrong with a graphics calculator?

i think graphics calculators are great! i have been using mine since the begining of yr 12 and although they are difficult to get the hang of, they really help. i think that in some ways they can give you and advantage over those that dont have one. this is not to say that i simply rely on my calculator to do everything for me but especially in terms of topics such as financial maths it really helps!
if you havent got one yet and your're in yr 12 then i dont suggest you go out and buy one now though, cause it will just take you too long to learn how to use it!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I used a graphics calculator for the hsc last yr ... but they design the questions so that people who do not have graphic calculators are not disadvantaged.

Although its nice knowing that u have another calculator, incase ur other one dies. lol.

craz

HSC
If you're good with graphic calculators go for it! but it is a bit late for using graphic calculators in your last year! In the HSC, I found graphic calculators with too many functions confusing so stuck to the ones which weren't confusing and easy to use.

chocc0

HSC
I got my graphics calculator in yr 9 when i sated at my school, but my maths teacher said that ppl with graphics calculators finish on average 20 minutes earlier then those who don't have them...and yes they are God sends!!!! :DGotta Love those Graphics Calculators :uhhuh: !

Super_Flyse

HSC
Am i the only one that finds Graphics calculators to be Devil spawn!

My school as class sets and have been taught to use them and can borrow one for the exam, however i hate to use them! I find it easier to use my normal sciencific one.

But yeah, everyone is right... Dont even consider going to buy one this late in the game coz they are the tool of the devil and insane to use and so, so tempormental!

LobbSACS

HSC
can you confirm what input data is? i have a Ti nspire, and say i needed to do working out for this question:

3x+5=14, find x

do i just write out what i wrote into my calc, which would look like this
"solve(3x+5=14,x)" and then the answer

PC

HSC
N/A
I would suggest that you work it out normally by hand. Show all steps as you usually would. But now you have the calculator as a way of making sure that your solution is the correct one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)