Graphs - how much detail? (1 Viewer)

Seven3121

HSC
hey does anyone know how much detail the hsc expects graphs to be drawn in?

also, in those questions where they give you a sketch of q graph without an equation and tell you to graph say y=|f(x)| then do they want you to first copy out the given graph then draw your own or not?

sorry, one more question, you knbow how with some graphs you need to do dotted sketches of other graphs first, do you leave those on when you've graphed the final graph because when i do it it looks like there's extra asymptotes that aren't meant to be there.

sorry about all the long questions, but im very confused

P

pLuvia

A sketch includes important points like turning points, intercepts, POIs etc.

For those composite functions draw the original curve then sketch the composite function and if they gave you a point on the original graph and will need to plot that point on the new composite function

Well I usually just leave the original graph on the composite graph but I use a different colour and name each of the graphs so as to not confuse the marker

tichondrius

HSC
Uni Grad
Just out of curiosity with "different colours" - are you limited to blue and black or are you allowed to use green/pink/purple or any of those on diagrams?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
tichondrius said:
Just out of curiosity with "different colours" - are you limited to blue and black or are you allowed to use green/pink/purple or any of those on diagrams?
Anything.

EDIT: Actually, maybe they prefer pencil, I'm not sure anymore.

ssglain

HSC
My teacher has a fetish for pencil sketches and always growls at me when I do my graphs in pen. I never do what she says though. I much prefer drawing graphs in different coloured pens. It makes everything a lot clearer especially when dealing with manipulations of given functions and composition of different functions. She has sort of given up on my case. Ultimately it's about what I'm more comfortable with, as long as I get the graphs right.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Seven3121 said:
hey does anyone know how much detail the hsc expects graphs to be drawn in?
Usually the question will specify how much detail. If not, refer to the number of marks allocated. If it's like 1 mark, then the basic features should be sufficient (e.g asymptotes, intercepts). More marks usually indicates more details needed (e.g turning points and points of inflexion).

In relation to those questions where f(x) is given in its equation form or as a graph and you are required to sketch a variation in f(x) like |f(x)|, make sure you update all the points shown in f(x) and label the new locations of these points in the new curve. Update any new or additional asymptotes and other features like critical points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)