Great firewall of China: Gates helps Beijing to delete freedom from net (1 Viewer)

uni_dust

HSC
Yes, because our media that isn't told word for word what to write by the government is much less bias than ur media
== that's bad because its much bias based on a personal opinion sometime and u believe its not biased , have a look at that articles on smh posted by withoutaface
== do u believe american govn has totally no control of their media ?
== i also hate govn to control the media but in some circumstance it better to control when some interest group trying to do bad thing.
== and the truth is its getting much better , govn controls less less less than before.
Thomas Hobbes,1588-1679: a country has absolutely right to control its media when it needs
i think Hobbes is respected by most western politician.

also remember protests always hard to control in china, because chinese people are very emotional and the population is huge!!!!!!!

by the way , my msn: wanderercj@hotmail.com

i am from shanghai , an international student and studying in UNSW

glad to know u guys, we can argue through msn and its more efficient

i am happy to show u what i saw and what i am thinking

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
In the US there is the first amendment right of freedom of speech... far more press freedom than China!

A girl in my journo class who comes from China was telling me that a friend wrote an article that was critical of the government and posted it on the internet and she was jailed. That is wrong, you should be able to criticize what you percieve the faults of your government are, that is of utmost importance to maintaining a free democracy. She was just a young university student, and she got sent to jail with no contact with her family or anyone and know apparently she suffers from psychological issues due to her treatment.

The beauty of a press which is not controlled by the government or censored is that it allows a free exchange of ideas which in itself is a self regulatory system- there will always be someone publishing stuff which refutes what someone else publishes etc. The marketplace of ideas principle is considered fundamental to democracy.

I am a big advocate of freedom of speech so of course I think the censorship in China is uncalled for and punishing people for expressing their opinions about the government is horrible. The whole spaces firewall is pretty stupid- if it were my company I would tell them to go jump. But my company probably wouldn't ever be as a big as Microsoft haha. A corporate conciousness doesn't seem to please the share holders that much.

uni_dust

HSC
Josef Mengele moved to Argentina after WW2. Does that mean Argentina are completely supportive of his actions at Auschwitz?
it Does not mean Argentina were completely supportive of his actions at Auschwitz

Falun Gong wouldn't have gone to Argentina and the only place for him is USA, because Argentina had no power to support him and there was no " human rights, democracy market" for him, only USA could raise him.

Josef Mengele wouldn't have gone to American , because heaps Jew would have been trying to kill him
the better place for him was the place where there weren't many Jew or anti-Nazi atmosphere. Argentina was a better place to hide

sorry i misleaded you ;-)

P.S. it seems Mr.withoutaface and Mr.not-that-bright must be heavy regular guests on the bos?

Last edited:

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes, because our media that isn't told word for word what to write by the government is much less bias than ur media :rolleyes:
Not by the government, instead it's told what to write by Rupert Murdoch :rolleyes:

Generator

HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
Not by the government, instead it's told what to write by Rupert Murdoch :rolleyes:
Murdoch's press organisations may lean to the right more often than not, but at least they are 'free' to criticise whoever they want, rather than be forced to toe a government line. That's the point, supercharged, and it's one that I know that you cannot understand.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Murdoch's press organisations may lean to the right more often than not, but at least they are 'free' to criticise whoever they want, rather than be forced to toe a government line. That's the point, supercharged, and it's one that I know that you cannot understand.
They may be technically "free" to do so, but the fact that they choose not to for their own interests and agenda, means the end result is the same. And that's the point, Generator that I know you cannot understand.

Instead of some so-called "free media", often it just becomes little more than a mouth piece for peversely biased political commentry by deluded neocons such as Piers Ackermen (who can hardly be considered to be less biased than any government).

Generator

HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
They may be technically "free" to do so, but the fact that they choose not to for their own interests and agenda, means the end result is the same. And that's the point, Generator that I know you cannot understand.

Instead of some so-called "free media", often it just becomes little more than a mouth piece for peversely biased political commentry by deluded neocons such as Piers Ackermen (who can hardly be considered to be less biased than any government).
No, the end results are not the same. Despite News Ltd's obvious preference for the neoliberal market, its papers still report the news in a critical manner (I'm talking about the broadsheets more so than the tabloids, but that should be obvious), without fear of reprisal from a higher entity (it isn't as though they fear the ABC's mediawatch, anyway). Also, News Ltd papers hardly operate in a vacuum as the single provider of news for a given country, so to suggest that the news outcomes from a 'free' enterprise operating in what is a competitive media market are similar to those of a restrictive state-controlled media organisation is just ludicrous.

There is little point in using an columnist, one employed to engender a strong reaction, to characterise an entire stable, too.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
What Generator is saying is quite true. Despite media-baron skepticism, it is not realistic to believe that they have that kind of huge influence over the content of their newspapers and television news networks. Though there has been somewhat of a history of playing favourites, the press barons are no longer involved in that sort of thing (nor did they have much impact in the first place anyway).

It has been said rather pertinently, gone are the days when Murdoch could walk down the hall and check up on what his editors were writing. They have far bigger concerns with managing multinational corporations to be concerned with the ideologies of every journalist in their employment. As a result there is a significant level of autonomy in the Australian media.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think it is zany to try and make comparison between Murdoch's media ownership and a communist country which basically outlaws freedom of the press.

Even if you think there is a right wing agenda at News Ltd, which is probably true to an extent, Murdochs control still has far less of an impact on freedom of expression than the government having control.

In Australia, if you don't like Murdoch you can read another paper, watch another channel etc. You can even buy the Green Left Weekly, pick up your free student rag or access anything you want on the internet. In China this is not the case. All news and publication is controlled and restricted by the government. Thus Murdoch is hardly a comparison.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'd like to see a comparison of the ammount of media coverage say by channel 9 that is favourable to the government/against the government during an election?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I think it is zany to try and make comparison between Murdoch's media ownership and a communist country which basically outlaws freedom of the press.

Even if you think there is a right wing agenda at News Ltd, which is probably true to an extent, Murdochs control still has far less of an impact on freedom of expression than the government having control.

In Australia, if you don't like Murdoch you can read another paper, watch another channel etc. You can even buy the Green Left Weekly, pick up your free student rag or access anything you want on the internet. In China this is not the case. All news and publication is controlled and restricted by the government. Thus Murdoch is hardly a comparison.
I get the GLW, it's even better than the Honi Soit. :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I'd like to see a comparison of the amount of media coverage say by channel 9 that is favourable to the government/against the government during an election?
I have noticed channel 9 being particularly narky occasionally with the Labor party. During the last election more than once a newsreader made some snide remarks about Latham. Newsreaders mind you, not political reporters, or opinion writers. It would be a generalisation to say it's their general attitude though.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
The guy on chanel 7 is the worst. The fuckwit that thinks he is intelligent when he asks the labor leader a stupid question. You know the guy with the crap hair.
haha

Well, no not exactly... there are a lot of people with crap hair, or lack of hair

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
A picture or a name would be helpful even a regular timeslot he appears in...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Do you mean Ian Ross? He gets paid 1 mil a year to read the Sydney news. He commutes from the Gold Coast.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
So the commercially owned one is a subsiduary of the commercially owned one? Sounds suss to me...

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
withoutaface said:
So the commercially owned one is a subsiduary of the commercially owned one? Sounds suss to me...
hmm no, same name
nan fang means southern

basically the commercial paper is daily telegraph shit.

edit: actually I'm not sure.

I'll find a better example. oh look one in english

http://www.tvscn.com/en/news0010.html

and this is the govt owned channel

www.cctv.com

there isn't a commercially owned channel nationwide however each of the provinces have their own.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)