Griffith University the Next Top Australian Madrassa? (1 Viewer)

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Top university an 'agent of extreme Islam'
By Richard Kerbaj
April 23, 2008 12:35am
Article from:

• Griffith University likened to Islamic madrassas
  • Uni sought 'questionable' Saudi Arabian funding
  • Judge says uni is Islamic vehicle
A JUDGE has likened Griffith University to hardline Islamic "madrassas" in Pakistan - notorious for breeding radicals - and accused the Queensland institution of promoting a Muslim ideology espoused by Osama bin Laden.
Queensland District Court judge Clive Wall also accused Griffith of becoming an "agent" through which the Saudi Arabian embassy was propagating extreme Islam.
Judge Wall, a deputy judge advocate-general in the Australian Defence Force holding the rank of air commodore, told The Australian it was clear what brand of Islam the university would be teaching through its Saudi-funded Islamic Research Unit.
"It would have to be Wahabism, similar to many of the madrassas in Pakistan who receive funding from Saudi Arabia," he said.
At least three of the suicide bombers responsible for the 2005 London bombings - which killed 56 people - attended Pakistani madrassas, which are considered indoctrination centres for Islamic extremism.
The Australian revealed yesterday that Griffith asked the Saudi embassy in Australia for a $1.37m grant for its Islamic Research Unit, even telling the ambassador that certain elements of the controversial deal could be kept a secret.
It was also revealed through documents that Griffith - described by vice-chancellor Ian O'Connor as the "university of choice" for Saudis - offered the embassy a chance to "discuss" ways in which the money could be used.
The Australian first revealed in September that Griffith had received a $100,000 Saudi grant.
Griffith Islamic Research Unit director Mohamad Abdalla has rejected accusations the Saudi funding would be used to promote Wahabism, saying his centre was opposed to the hardline ideology and in favour of "moderate" Islam.
But Judge Wall yesterday accused Griffith of becoming a Saudi stooge. "They're using the university as an agent to promote their bigoted brand of
Islam," he said. "I'm concerned that a country which doesn't itself tolerate freedom of religion is promoting its own quite bigoted version here with the acquiescence of our learning institutions."

This is the first time Judge Wall, who was appointed to the District Court in 1996, has publicly declared his views about the threat of Wahabism and aired his concerns about the Saudi Government's connections.

Asked why he wanted to weigh in on the topic of Saudi funding, he said: "Like many people, I follow what's out there around the world and I was just concerned in particular about the source of the funding being Saudi Arabia. I'm concerned that a university which is in my area is not being entirely frank about what it's doing."

Judge Wall accused Griffith's management of being being "naive" in accepting Saudi funds, which have historically been linked to the propagation of fundamentalism.
The Saudi Government - largely through its embassy - is believed to have funnelled at least $120m into Australia since the 1970s to bankroll radical clerics, build mosques and propagate hardline Islam.
"I don't think the university should be involved in any way with these people," Judge Wall said.

Asked whether Griffith should return its Saudi grant, Judge Wall said: "That's a matter for the university, but I just think that they're being very naive at best and very greedy at worst.

"They (Saudis) are not being simply altruistic," he said. "They don't give anything for benevolent reasons, there's always something behind it."
September's report in The Australian prompted Judge Wall to inquire about the nature of the fund and how it was intended to be used.
He wrote to Ross Homel - then director of Griffith's key Centre for Ethics, Law, Justice and Governance, which manages the Islamic unit - raising questions about the branch of Islam the university wanted to propagate.

"You have said that the Saudi grant to the Griffith Islamic Research Unit will be used to promote 'moderate Islam'," says Judge Wall in the letter obtained by The Australian.
"What do you mean by 'moderate Islam' and what do you understand is the difference between moderate Islam and Wahabi Islam or Wahab-ism (sic) or 'hardline' purposes?"

Judge Wall's questions were hand-balled by Professor Homel to Dr Abdalla. But he never received an answer.

"I'm a little concerned that I've received no response from the university to my letter," Judge Wall said.
"They seem reluctant to discuss the matter."

Griffith did not return several phone calls from The Australian yesterday.
Mr Abdalla could not be contacted.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23583556-421,00.html :jaw:

TacoTerrorist

HSC
chicky_pie you are the biggest idiot on these forums.

OMG their iz a minority groop in oztralia in da 21st senturee their iz gonna be liek a teorist atk wotch out 4 da muzlims!111!!

Fuck off. So what there is a university with a higher than average ratio of a particular minority. OMG.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
TacoTerrorist said:

OMG their iz a minority groop in oztralia in da 21st senturee their iz gonna be liek a teorist atk wotch out 4 da muzlims!111!!

Fuck off. So what there is a university with a higher than average ratio of a particular minority. OMG.
Its not about the number of minorities, its about the funding and the motive behind the funding you retarded cunt.

I'm afraid that the judge will probably be targeted by muslims and accuse him of racism, soon.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
lmao, the judge doesnt seem to know what the word "madrassa" means :rolleyes:
Its the arabic word for "school" ffs! He's making it sound like some sort of training camp :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Aryanbeauty

HSC
MaNiElla said:
lmao, the judge doesnt seem to know what the word "madrassa" means :rolleyes:
Its the arabic word for "school" ffs! He's making it sound like some sort of training camp :rolleyes:
Yeah madrassa has become synonymous with extremism and terrorist training school, thanks to Saudi's funding of extremist madrassas in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
^totally agree with you. they fucked over pakistan with their version of islam

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
bigboyjames said:
^totally agree with you. they fucked over pakistan with their version of islam
pakistan would be fucked over anyway

Gay Captain

HSC
lol @ muslims defending wahabism which is fucking up their whole religion around the world :D

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Its not about the number of minorities, its about the funding and the motive behind the funding you retarded cunt.
Hey fuckface, I don't see the problem with the funding. Anyone having a problem with the motives is a douche. A Wahibist sect of Islam is not going to sprout in contemporary Australia.

I'm afraid that the judge will probably be targeted by muslims and accuse him of racism, soon.
Fuck off Jew. Now go file my tax return while I fuck your mother as she screams out 'goy! goy!'.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:

I'm not against Islam, I'm against all forms of RELIGION, which includes Islam. :)

Shut down any University that is funded by religion, god gave us Atheism not books.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
I'm not against Islam, I'm against all forms of RELIGION, which includes Islam. :)

Shut down any University that is funded by religion, god gave us Atheism not books.
WTF, whats with the guys chin?

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Hahahahha muslims are just like jews in that they haven't found Jesus.
lol, I know that its meant to be Jesus, but whats with the chin?
looks like he has 2 little doodles dangling from it :shy:
...or maybe i just didnt get it :(

Aryanbeauty

HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
Hey fuckface, I don't see the problem with the funding. Anyone having a problem with the motives is a douche. A Wahibist sect of Islam is not going to sprout in contemporary Australia.
You are the biggest douche. London tube bombers, WTC bombers, Madrid Train bombers, Bali bombers are all radicalised by Saudi's funds in their own countries.

Fuck off Jew. Now go file my tax return while I fuck your mother as she screams out 'goy! goy!'.
Good to know there's a filthy leb in taxable income strata. I thought most of you derives your income from criminal activities, robbery, drug peddling and gang raping. ha ha:rofl:

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Aryanbeauty said:
Good to know there's a filthy leb in taxable income strata. I thought most of you derives your income from criminal activities, robbery, drug peddling and gang raping. ha ha:rofl:
hahahahahahahahahaha.

Your so funny man. :uhhuh:

Aryanbeauty

HSC
Uni chief lifted Islam text from Wikipedia

GRIFFITH University vice-chancellor Ian O'Connor has admitted lifting information straight from online encyclopedia Wikipedia and confusing strands of Islam as he struggled to defend his institution's decision to ask the repressive Saudi Arabian Government for funding.

Professor O'Connor also appears to have breached his own university's standards on plagiarism as they apply to students' academic work - a claim he denies. And he appears to have ignored his own past misgivings about Wikipedia and internet-based research.

In September, The Australian revealed that the Queensland university had accepted a grant of $100,000 from the Saudi Government. Last week, it was revealed that Griffith had asked the Saudi embassy in Australia for a $1.37million grant for its Islamic Research Unit, telling the ambassador that certain elements of the controversial deal could be kept a secret.

Griffith - described by Professor O'Connor as the "university of choice" for Saudis - also offered the embassy a chance to "discuss" ways in which the money could be used.

Professor O'Connor's response to The Australian's revelations, which was published as an opinion article in the newspaper on Thursday, contained whole passages of text "cut and pasted" from Wikipedia.

"The primary doctrine of Unitarianism is Tawhid, or the uniqueness and unity of God," Professor O'Connor wrote. "Wahhab also preached against a perceived moral decline and political weakness in the Arabian peninsula and condemned idolatry, the popular cult of saints, and shrine and tomb visitation."

The Wikipedia entry for Wahhabism reads: "The primary doctrine of Wahhabism is Tawhid, or the uniqueness and unity of God ... He preached against a 'perceived moral decline and political weakness' in the Arabian peninsula and condemned idolatry, the popular cult of saints, and shrine and tomb visitation."

Professor O'Connor, whose academic credentials are in social work and juvenile justice, appears to have substituted the word Unitarianism for Wahhabism.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23600451-12332,00.html :mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)