"..growing number of law schools .. around the world that have moved to a JD.." (1 Viewer)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
You'd be more familar with it than I am, but are all the universities offering JDs making the same arragements as UTS in terms of evening classes and such?
I don't really know about 'all' universities but I think before overhauling their JD program, UMelb used to have classes which made it easy for JD students to work around. In their LLM programs for example, they have intensive subjects taught over a week or semi-intensive taught four days over the weekend and two days before/after the weekend to make it easier for the postgrad students who have other commitments. The idea being that it's easier for these students to apply for annual leave over a few days and completing the whole subject in one easy block rather than spreading it over a whole semester with one hour classes sprinkled during the week.

At Monash, the JD classes are all predominantly Friday mornings and/or Thursday afternoons. So it makes it easier for working professionals to just be able to arrange to only work a half day every Fridays or Thursdays, plus some subjects are taught intensive so that's easy convenient as well. Plus the classes are located in a central city location at the law chambers, for whatever it's worth, so students don't have to travel to Clayton which is a bit out in the 'burbs.

I can't speak for the current UMelb program since they've overhauled it, I think they're now openly going for the US three year full time model but for Monash they do try to make it easy for the postgrad students who are a very different demographic from the LLB student group..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)