Guessing my School's Ranking (1 Viewer)

ClassicFine

HSC
Hi.
Just recently found out my school's average HSC mark per subject based on results from 2009-2011.
English Advanced 84
Economics 84
Math EXT 1 88
Math EXT 2 89
Physics 85
Chemistry 84

Anyone able to guess/estimate my school's ranking on HSC 'league tables'.
Cheers

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Are they not in the top 150 published in 2011? If your schools results have been pretty stable, just look at the full 09 or 10 rankings.

D94

HSC
N/A
Hi.
Just recently found out my school's average HSC mark per subject based on results from 2009-2011.
English Advanced 84
Economics 84
Math EXT 1 88
Math EXT 2 89
Physics 85
Chemistry 84

Anyone able to guess/estimate my school's ranking on HSC 'league tables'.
Cheers
Just solely based on this, there is 1 extreme case and 1 likely case, but both are possible. The extreme case is that you have a cluster of 95, 96, 97 etc. and then a cluster of scores in the 70s. Let's call this case A.

The second case, the likely case, is that you have a cluster of low 90s scores and a cluster of low 80s scores and a few in between, maybe the odd outlier in the 60s or 70s. Let's call this case B.

Now, if we take the SMH method ranking, i.e. the proportion of Band 6 results compared to the total number of HSC exam attempts. Going by your school's average results, it seems case B is what's happening, because your scores are rather high and this has the average taken into account. However, the sub-case of A is that there is a massive cluster of 88, 89 scores, and no Band 6 scores (but I doubt this for MX1 and MX2). In the sub-case, whilst the magnitude of your scores are great (and I would expect ATARs in the order of 95+), it won't be reflected in the ranks because they go off Band 6's, not 89's.

Not knowing how your school performs in the other subjects (I would hope there are more subjects than those 6-7) and not know how many students are in your cohort, my bet would be your school is in the top 100, probably in the top 60.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)