Guild elections (1 Viewer)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I'm not a keen fan of these guild elections. They have broad sweeping visions for the good of all the university community, how nice! (maybe with the exception of Young and Dangerous). Really, I don't care. Bring on VSU. That aside, I'm still deciding between CHANGE and VOICE, they say more or less the same things, just with a different coloured t-shirt.

Oh, and I'd like an example of what the guild has done in the last 12 months with regards to the 'environment'- one of the committees.

gman03

HSC
Done 15 mins ago....

One thing want to say is: VOICE, train your bloody people.... shez.... On the other hand, CHANGE has nice chicks ;) I could not believe how much paper VOICE has wasted... I am like a semi-pseudo-green-activist.... Also boys, if I am talking to CHANGE's chick, don't bloody bother me..

Voice guy approached:

"Vote 1 for VOICE"
" right....."
"You know how voting works?"
" yeah...."
"Just put a 1 in that box underneath VOICE"
"okay....."
"You want me to walk you throught the ...."
" No!"

Then here comes the chick

"Hi!" then hands me the flyer...
"So can you tell me who is Nan..."

Someone rudely interrupt my pick up line with:

"Vote 1 for VOICE, here is a flyer"
(Flyers were subsequently dropped to the ground. BEAT THAT!!!!)

Then the chick pointed to me babydoll_'s face. My task was completed. Damn boys, you should not interrupt me, or else 1 went to VOICE hahaha~!!! My voting is inversely propertional to # of flyers handed out to me.... Just to give you guys some idea: CHANGE - 1 flyer; VOICE - 232, others - none.

Have a good day people.

P.S. No, I am not against VOICE, not i am affliated with CHANGE. I am a VSU person and only one flyer that I see has "survival in a VSU environment" not "focused on fighting VSU with WOMD"

gman03 signed off and attend McLake's tut.

Last edited:

stamos

sellout
HSC
haha that wierd raelian guy angelus is running for nus

i voted for him

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
stamos said:
could you describe one actual concrete policy that you guys have

cause that was a whole lot of nothing haha
Anything for you, stamos

Change's main aim is to keep the Guild alive through the upheaval of the implementation of VSU. The Guild will have to Change, get it? Hahahaha.

Change's 4 key policies are:

- CASOC: We want to keep CASOC (who are in charge of clubs and societies) alive, with all possible benefits. Clubs and societies are an important part of uni life, and losing them because of VSU would be devastating.
- Fiscal responsibility: With the implementation of VSU, it is almost certain that there will be a great loss of funding. We aim to make sure that the Guild uses its money responsibly and for the greatest benefit of students.
- Media: Face it, how much do you know about the Guild? Crap all. Who reads Tharunka? It's boring as shit. We want to jazz up media and promotion of the Guild, especially Tharunka, to make sure that students know about the Guild, what it does and what services are available to them.
- Women's issues: Unfortunately, gender based harassment is still a big issue on campus. We want to make all women feel safe. (I'm not in charge of Women's stuff so don't ask me.)

and so on and so forth
gman03 said:
Then here comes the chick

"Hi!" then hands me the flyer...
"So can you tell me who is Nan..."

Someone rudely interrupt my pick up line with:

"Vote 1 for VOICE, here is a flyer"
(Flyers were subsequently dropped to the ground. BEAT THAT!!!!)

Then the chick pointed to me babydoll_'s face. My task was completed.
Hahahah, that'd be Newbie who interrupted you. :D

stamos

sellout
HSC
- Women's issues: Unfortunately, gender based harassment is still a big issue on campus. We want to make all women feel safe. (I'm not in charge of Women's stuff so don't ask me.)

yeah isn't that lauren howells? my friend gave her a bladder infection, true story

is a roflcopter
HSC
hey! meanie nancy! :D

gman it probably was me haha
i think i remember who you are now hehe
oh well its cool as long as you voted :)

the Voice policies are exactly the same as change :) .....except we have actually been working in the guild all year as volunteers and as part of the collectives and implementing the policies to survive VSU. I hope you all vote for experience and dedication rather than insubstantive promises.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone should vote for the Young and Dangerous...I mean, who wouldn't want UNSW to turn into Mong Kok??

gman03

HSC
It is so sad like I didn't look at anyone face while I was trying to check out those chicks...

To Newbie: its cool, as I wasn't refering to a particular person, but rather a group of people handing me flyers.... but yeah I felt so lonely when walking along the walking at 5pm and no one approach me ;( I shall be more polite next time.

Sorry for all the boys in the frontline. Take care all!

fidel_castro

HSC
I tried really hard to restrain from commenting, and I'm sure there's always one person once in a while who does this, but...

WTF?

To Voice:
Why are you guys wasting so much paper, HR efforts and Tshirts which could've been made into better logos? You've successfully rigged the elections! You don't have to try to cover it up by putting a lot of people and posters into the campaigning process. You have 3 direct tickets whose preferences will flow into yours; one of them Young & Dangerous. Why don't you tell people about it? Wait, no, that was part of the plan. Steal asian votes. I had friends telling me they didnt want to vote Voice, but instead voted for Young and Dangerous because it was 'funny.' Extremely extremely devious... I applaud you guys on this. How motherfucking democratic! You guys spat in the face of democracy and should be ashamed of yourselves.

Also, your campaigners: I applaud you on this one.
Rule #1 : Round up a bunch of guys and girls in skimpy outfits who have no clue how to spell Voluntary Student Unionism.
Rule #2: Make sure they can speak mandarin or cantonese to take advantage of the predominately large population of asian voters.
Rule #3: Interrupt every single other campaigner. That's the rudest thing you can do.

What happened to passionate campaigning? Where people spend endless hours fighting for what they believe in? I'm not saying that you are ALL passionless CV-line hunters, but I really question the integrity of Voice.

I was extremely upset with what I had observed and couldn't believe I had made UNSW my first preference to come to university. Seeing people, literally like flocks of sheep, knowing that no matter what they vote on the ballot form, it ends up going to Voice at the end. I feel so hopeless in these situations.

In the end I conclude, student politicians aren't as bad as they seem. University students are just STUPID.

is a roflcopter
HSC
fidel_castro said:
I tried really hard to restrain from commenting, and I'm sure there's always one person once in a while who does this, but...

WTF?

To Voice:
Why are you guys wasting so much paper, HR efforts and Tshirts which could've been made into better logos? You've successfully rigged the elections! You don't have to try to cover it up by putting a lot of people and posters into the campaigning process. You have 3 direct tickets whose preferences will flow into yours; one of them Young & Dangerous. Why don't you tell people about it? Wait, no, that was part of the plan. Steal asian votes. I had friends telling me they didnt want to vote Voice, but instead voted for Young and Dangerous because it was 'funny.' Extremely extremely devious... I applaud you guys on this. How motherfucking democratic! You guys spat in the face of democracy and should be ashamed of yourselves.

Also, your campaigners: I applaud you on this one.
Rule #1 : Round up a bunch of guys and girls in skimpy outfits who have no clue how to spell Voluntary Student Unionism.
Rule #2: Make sure they can speak mandarin or cantonese to take advantage of the predominately large population of asian voters.
Rule #3: Interrupt every single other campaigner. That's the rudest thing you can do.

What happened to passionate campaigning? Where people spend endless hours fighting for what they believe in? I'm not saying that you are ALL passionless CV-line hunters, but I really question the integrity of Voice.

I was extremely upset with what I had observed and couldn't believe I had made UNSW my first preference to come to university. Seeing people, literally like flocks of sheep, knowing that no matter what they vote on the ballot form, it ends up going to Voice at the end. I feel so hopeless in these situations.

In the end I conclude, student politicians aren't as bad as they seem. University students are just STUPID.
hehehe you need to chillax man

first of all i want to ask you what team you belong to and where you are getting the evidence to your claims from.

Its all good coming here and registering an alias just in time for elections and then saying whatever you want, go you e-warrior.

im not even going to bother addressing your rants on about our campaigners. haha trying to dictate our dress code, trying to dictate what language we use, trying to stop us from telling the voter our point of view? YOUR A GIMP

you state that we are subverting democracy just because your friend voted for a party that he wanted....very good logic there!

you claim that we are "stealing asian votes" ...so does that votes from a certain ethnic background automatically belong to you or something and we are stealing them? woah for your version of democracy!

and finally of all, in your desperation you go and tell the very people you are trying to convince to elect you that they are stupid for voting for a team that they chose, a team that they recognise as the only complete ticket, a team that had its ethnic and international student committees elected unappose because the other teams didnt bother to put up candidates, a team that tells that they are here to represent students and actually mean it. GOOD ONE!

stamos

sellout
HSC
well there's an eye opener

what is their other feeder ticket? is it 'put 1 in this box'?

fidel_castro

HSC
stamos said:
well there's an eye opener

what is their other feeder ticket? is it 'put 1 in this box'?
Evidence?
Last page of the Tharanka Election Guide. (page 32)
Tickets who will be giving their second preferences to Voice:
*Young & Dangerous
*Stop VSU
*Action

Include Voice, there are 4 under Voice. There are a total of 6 candidates.
Therefore, Voice owns 2/3 of the Ballot form.

Change's second preferences flows to Action, who will give it to Voice anyway.
Ditto in the same way with Put 1 in this box.

So in the end, all of the votes flow into Voice. Unless there's something wrong with the way I explained how Change's votes flow, either way, Voice dominates the ballot form by at least 2/3.

The only way to avoid this is to vote below the line and put preference votes.
But the sad thing, no one on campus is aware of that. The only way to find out is to either read the guide, which almost literally no one picks up, or ask a campaigner (who knows what they're talking about anyway)...

is a roflcopter
HSC
haha Put 1 in the Box i must admit was a great tactic for Change.
trying to fake a ticket as instructions...thats subverting democracy

fidel, you have no idea how preferences work do you
Voice is preferencing Action....so does that mean ultimately EVERY TEAM's votes will go to Action?

CLOWN

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
woah, the tension in here is so thick you could cut it with a knife

let's break it up with a picture of a monkey playing golf

gman03

HSC
babydoll_ said:
woah, the tension in here is so thick you could cut it with a knife

let's break it up with a picture of a monkey playing golf

Hey babydoll_ how come I don't see you among those people handing out flyers? :p

To fidel_castro: I agree, I got a copy of tharunka yesterday night and read it and have the exact same feeling... Let's hope CHANGE takes the first preference vote ... ... ...

I also notices most of the description, except most from the CHANGE candidates, uses some kind of a mail-merge template.... SOOOOOO uncreative. I "surely" want people to be like that!!

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
last day of polling tomorrow
red centre 8:15-11:30 heheee

B

Bambul

I have no alias! Though I am glad to see that there is some sort of "debate" going on here that is slightly more constructive than last year's (when I *did* get involved in the debate - this year I'm trying to stay more impartial, i.e. I hate you all equally :d).

Anyways. Last day of voting is tomorrow. We find out the results soon.

And ANGELUS IS RUNNING FOR NUS??!!! OMG!!!!...I really should know this :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)