Gwen Harwood (1 Viewer)

jellybean500

Is anyone going to do some reading up on Gwen Harwoods background and history? i know a bit about it and all, but because of the time limit i don't think i'll be able to put anything in. And about the question....they may not specify an actual poem but more a theme.. for example maybe something like "Gwen Harwood's poetry often discusses childhood and family. Refer to two of her poems that convey these issues"
Can they do this?
I hope the question is in a nice simple essay form! I have a feeling it might be an interview tho! If so, i hope its just between 2 people and not 3!

What are your thoughts?

Good Luck Everyone!!!!

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
quite frankly i dont even know her background. All i know are readings, themes and techniques so yea. hopefully they wont specific a poem and some1 should make a poll on which poems they know very well.

*SHeLL!*

HSC
We have done quite a bit on gwennies context, and it pretty much sums up to be tat she was concerned wit the "continuity of human existance" as evident in alter ego and at mornington as well as valuing the powers of memorys as in the voilets and father and child!
hope that helps a little....

Jexi

HSC
Gwen Harwood makes me want to cry. Seriously. If they specify a poem other than Prize Giving and The Violets (or even maybe Glass Jar) then I am so dead that its totally laughable...not really.

I talk a bit about Gwen's context (only because I can't really answer the part of the question where it asks about reader's context). But only like one sentence per reading.

Man she scares me. She is one scary woman.

I don't think the question will be a theme based question, I mean how the hell would you apply reader response theory and your readings to it then? For Harwood, there could be possibly two types of question. One being 'why is she so great?' and the other being 'something about reader's interpretations and how they change with time' (like last years).

Oh god I keep having these images of the exam paper specifying the poems. :S

Frenglish_Angel

They can't ask you for a specific poem, seriously, because they never specify in the syllabus that u need to know every poem in detail...that's the equivalent of knoqing every stimulus booklet text...it's just not happening! lol...

Chocobo687

HSC
Frenglish_Angel said:
They can't ask you for a specific poem, seriously, because they never specify in the syllabus that u need to know every poem in detail...that's the equivalent of knoqing every stimulus booklet text...it's just not happening! lol...
If they do, Can i personally hunt you down and slaughter you? pleeeaassseeee?

:p

If they want anything other than Prize Giving and Glass Jar, I am up the creek. I know em all, just not enough to go into detail.. My brains already in overload, so they can shove it..

Jexi

HSC
Actually they can (though I hope not). They've done it before for Poetry, in this Module. Oh they can :( Its horrible.

forceblade

HSC
oh crap, the only poems i know in detail is glass jar and father and child.... crappp why didnt someone tell me this earlier :(

god...there goes 12 years of school for nothing (Fingers cross they dont ask for specific poem)

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Yeh. Well, hopefully they don't specify. But even if they do, they willl only specify one poem and another "of your own choosing". I think most people are screwed if they specify !!! Hopefully its glass jar if they do that. Evil BOS people...but when you think about it, they dnt want everyone to fail so no, lets hope they dnt make life harder for all.

katemcquiggin

HSC
they will never specify!
also are there set readings for each of her poems?? or is it just the main ones like feminist for prize giving, phychoanalytical for glass jar etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)