Gym Junkies! (1 Viewer)

NinjaSauce

HSC
Muscle memory exists and works. But you have to eat like a mother-F***er.

Avoiding the gym for 2 weeks will also heavily effect your strength/form. Expect significant muscle dodgyness. And an inability to activate.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
I do most of my cardio at home but i go to the gym because i can't fork out thousands of dollars on a bench press, barbells, dumbells, cable and weights machines.

yennie B

HSC
i prefer running around the neighbourhood. BUT no matter how disguised i am (to hide the fact that i'm a girl) there will always be disgusting old truckies beeping & whistling.

the gym is too confined for my liking. Oxygen is the way to go!

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
yennie B said:
i prefer running around the neighbourhood. BUT no matter how disguised i am (to hide the fact that i'm a girl) there will always be disgusting old truckies beeping & whistling.

the gym is too confined for my liking. Oxygen is the way to go!
Except when you're next to the road running you inhale a lot more carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide than you would in a gym which doesn't do you any good. E.g. reducing the transport of oxygen in your blood or lung irritations is what you really don't want during high oxygen dependant activities.

Legham

HSC
I'm gonna return to my gym junkiness in a week.. I couldn't afford it before and i didnt really have time so i didn't renew my membership when it ran out.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
not that my gym is a proper gym but i have been going 3-5 times a week and last month lost 4.5 kilos out of a total 12 kilo goal. This month aiming to lose 1-2 kilos cos of the plateau. I think going to the gym makes me feel better ....its just part of the day now

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
ask the people there?
i generally just do an hr of cardio and then either arms (pushups/weight machines) or tummy (situps), alternating each session

im up to burning 750 calories per hr of cardio i do. fairly impressed. im not sure if ive lost weight. i havent checked for so long. too scared

Legham

HSC
Fuck yeah! :D i got a gym membership today, so i'll be heading back there again :) gonna try and make it a daily thing again

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
melimoo said:
ask the people there?
i generally just do an hr of cardio and then either arms (pushups/weight machines) or tummy (situps), alternating each session

im up to burning 750 calories per hr of cardio i do. fairly impressed. im not sure if ive lost weight. i havent checked for so long. too scared
where do you go at meli?

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
all of my muscles have degenerated into fleshy blobs of rubbery nothingness.

and i wont have time to hit the gym before schoolies.

this is so terribly horrible.

the only muscles i have left are the writing ones, and my tinnie-opening arm.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
does anyone strech and warm up before hitting big weights? It seems like im the only one who does at my gym. (serious question)

Legham

HSC
CharlieB said:
does anyone strech and warm up before hitting big weights? It seems like im the only one who does at my gym. (serious question)
I do a few stretches during my workout.. Not necessarily before it. Your muscles aren't tight and needing stretching until you've done a bit..

Collin

HSC
N/A
CharlieB said:
I do and it's certainly advantageous.

Ideally, you'd want to warm up with around atleast 5 minutes of cardiovascular exercise prior to hitting heavy weights, with some appropriate stretching too, but I usually just do some minor stretching before each exercise. But here we're talking about if you're planning on hitting some pretty heavy weights straight away, which would make you a pretty big meathead. Most people start off with just light weights of the same exercise (12-20 reps etc.) for one or two sets (followed by a little stretching inbetween) and that should be good enough for being a 'warmup'.

rozymisty

HSC
Apparently your meant to do the weights before doing cardio, but do a bit of cardio warm up to get your muscles warm. if you do all your cardio, you'd be too tired to do the weights. Plus you lose more weight if you do weights then cardio apparetnly

I signed up for Goodlife at Wintergarden on Thursday, coz they had their open day. Got the first month free, 3 free personal trainer sessons, and the free bag. I was intending to go today, but they arent open on Sundays since they are in the city, which is a bummer coz i was all ready to go and stuff. Oh well, go tmw, see how I feel (knocked myself out this arvo lol).

But when my friend moves up here from Canberra in 7wks, she's going to join the gym and make me go and motivate me to work out and stuff hehe.

NinjaSauce

HSC
Typically, Cardio prior to strength training is a bad thing. Sucking wind while trying to create tension is a recipe for disaster. Excusing that, you might be tired, or not able to give your all to the lift - thus your effecting you ability to get a decent session in.

Though, perhaps some of you above equate 'puttering around on a treadmill for 5 minutes' cardio. If that, then yeah, depending on how your function, and your goals for the day, it can work.

Personally, if warming up for heavy work, i would typically suggest mega light triples or perhaps 1 set of five (then working to triples), then on to singles, and progressively build. Remembering that your 3-5s SHOULD NOT BE a "Working set". They are to get warm. Not strain you, at all.
Take plenty of rest as required. 10 minutes (or more!) is no uncommon between your 90% plus sets.

Stretching is not a good thing before training. By elongating the muscles, you lower their elastic level, and thus lower strength. The old adage of heaps of stretching before a session is 80s thought. Hell, anyone with practical experience will atest to this. If you want to stretch, Dynamic would be better than static easily. 10 x 2 secs stretches are better than 2 x 10 secs holds.

Now, before people jump at me, i do a 15min warm up routine before i start, but it is not stretching. It is more accurately joint mobility, its to get 'loose'.

*Puts on flame-retardant coat and hood and expects the worst*

- Will

quik.

HSC
I've read (I think on t-nation) that the decrease in performance from stretching lasts about ~15 minutes. I stretch before I lift because some of my muscles get fairly tight, and something is all kind of retarded with my right hip abductors, so I tend to stretch, then do ~5min of the bike where I work up a sweat and get blood moving, then do bodyweight/light weight versions of my upcoming 'big' lifts to get the movement pattern warmed up.. then rest a couple minutes. Then go time :D

mzduxx2006

HSC
nah im not a junkie but i go for runs/walks every morning.

aw i guess im a health freak but hey i get a "gym junkie" from boost juice everyday. so yes. i guess i am a junkie :D

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
wow ninjasauce you seem to know your stuff.

I was talking to some of the trainers at my gym, they all told me that in the short-run stretching is a waste of energy and might deplete muscle endurance. HOWEVER, stretching is crucial for long-term joint health. Also, it helps expand the fascia around the muscle which can be a limiting factor in growth.

I still think that stretching increases my performance.
It doesn't mean you have to stretch for 20 mins before every workout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)