Hamlet Listening Task Help? (1 Viewer)

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
Next week is an assessment week for my school and in English its the Module B time. we got the question in advance (sort of?) and we'll be listening to an extract from one of the scenes. the question is:
Explain your understanding of this extract and how it contributes to the textual integrity of Hamlet as a whole
Problem is, this question completely stumps me...
How i read it is that we explain what's going on in the scene and how what occurs in this scene adds to Hamlet as a whole. We're supposed to use themes, techniques and language to support us in what we say but i'm not sure how to go about that. I understand the play well, have a good knowledge of themes, techniques and language but I'm unsure of how to incorporate that into the question.

If someone could give me an idea of what the question means or how to go about answering it, that would be awesome.
Many thanks ^^

xOllyx

HSC
Interesting question... at my school we did the listening task on a completely unrelated and unseen text. I'll try and help as much as I can.
So, Textual integrity means how unified the text is as a whole and how its use of form, language techniques etc produce an integrated text as a whole. In your response you should probably present a sustained analysis of your extract and how it is significant to the play as a whole. For example, the opening scene utilises imagery of sickness to create a foreboding atmosphere that presents the corruption in Denmark. It establishes the concept of corruption through quotes such as "sick at heat" "something is rotten in the state of Denmark" etc and the concept is persistent throughout the play i.e. claudius, r&g... It also uses the plot device of the ghost which is highly significant in its role as a calalyst in Hamlets actions (or inaction). Hope i kinda helped... I can explain it better because im not sure i was that clear :/

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
so talking about how the extract is relevant to the text as a whole is basically the question? so in a scene like the graveyard scene which deals with mortality through lines like 'ah yorick, i knew thee well' etc and brings to a head the struggles which hamlet has encountered throughout the play. and the use of the skull, symbolising death etc.
you explained it well i think, i am just a retard at english :/

xOllyx

HSC
Yes absolutely... do your normal analysis but tie it neatly to the extract and you should do well. Needless to say, during the listening aspect of the test take notes to remember the extract, it makes everything easier. good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)