Hand over Hand vs. Pull/Push steering method? (1 Viewer)

55psi

HSC
i use push if i need the wheel at full lock when parking, sometimes push/pull to turn into streets etc but i feel its a bad habit because its lazy driving because its one handed, i cant really remember how i turn actually.. I just know that its nice and smooth. And when the wheel returns, i just rub my hand over it so it returns slowly and smoothly. My grip is usually at 10 and 3.
I hate it when people drive with completely STRAIGHT arms pushing their body against the seat. Looks like theyre going at the speed of light or something. And their turnings heaps jolty coz the stiff arms doesnt give way to small vibrations.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Never let the wheel spin back by itself
Why?

I usually apply little pressure on the steering wheel with both hands whilst it turns back by itself
Correct me on this... but I think that it is because if you go over a bump (or etc.) some cars have the jittery tendency to snap the wheel back instantly in either direction - in which case you lose control. Unless you were holding it, as it spun through. This could be more prone to FWD - but I'm not sure.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
CieL said:
Why?

I usually apply little pressure on the steering wheel with both hands whilst it turns back by itself
Just a control thing. Admittedly I still do it sometimes, especially in areas like carparks. By always holding on firmly at least you will always retain full control over where the car is going.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Letting is spin back does not imply letting it run freely but allowing the car to turn in its time. eg it is not about letting go but allowing it to move in your hands. The result is smoother cornering than when you are hauling it around yourself. Obviously however the camber and castor (especially the later) needs to be set right for this to happen fluidly.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I also let the wheel return itself a bit... just let it glide smoothly... easier than turning the wheel back!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)