Handball (1 Viewer)

V

vanbasten

Now that the Olympics are on people finally have the chance to watch this awesome sport. Because I have lived in Europe for most of my life, I grew up playing and loving this sport and it seems no one in Australia (that I know of) likes or avidly follows it. However, in Sydney 2000 it gained good recognition down under. Is anyone watching it? If not, does anyone else follow it on the global stage?

nerd2die4

HSC
geez, handball is hardly the good old aussie sport.

I remember playing it in primary school, but i cant imagine watching it on foxsports or anything.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i don't but i saw it in syd and i liked it very much

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
LOL...i was going to just start a thread asking if anyone at all follows it internationally....guess we are the only ones unless there are others lol!
But yeah my dad used to play in a county championship in Europe being Euro i love the sport and i follow all the international events i.e. Euro's, World's, Olympics, Champions League, EHF and KEK Cups and a couple of leagues in europe (Danish and Hungarian mostly) but yeah thats me!!

Newayz there are a stack of good portals but seeing as i dont know which languages u cant speak i'll give u the ones in english but u probz seen it but for neone interested they are

http://www.handball-world.com
http://www.eurohandball.com (this isn't the best site but oh well)

aj_number_10

HSC
I went to watch it in Sydney and tried to organise my school to go in a Gala Day this year (not allowed due to "important time in the hsc year") but yeah.

Theres a NSW handball association at Thornleigh which I wouldnt mind playing in.

jayz

walking
i don't understand why everyone has to crowd outside the ring to shot or defend, hardly any other forms of passing movement apart from left to right, i don't understand the whole concept, but it's good to watch when u want to pass time

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
jayz said:
i don't understand why everyone has to crowd outside the ring to shot or defend
Only the keeper can be in the 6m zone as soon as a defender steps in trying to stop the attacking player a 7m penalty is awarded....by the way the crowding u refer to is jsut one defence formation the 6-0. :)

Oh and the passing comment if ur ever in Denmark or Norway try and see on of their handball games...u'll be surprised!!!

Paulus

Master-Placater.
HSC
There are people actively playing handball in Australia, we have national championships and international squads that tour and everything. Given the nationals sees only a few states compete and we get pumped against the European teams, the profile of handball doesn't rise too dramatically as we're not winning all the time.

Winning aside, handball is an awesome game - akin to waterpolo on land almost for those unsure - and there are local clubs that run out of Sydney, like at Sydney Uni, that accept people from wherever. Dural Indoor Sport and Leisure Centre, already a dominating force in the development of another wonderful indoor sport, futsal, seem to have joined handball NSW and plan to raise awareness and interest in the sport in 2005.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
i used to play handball at primary school. i was so the bad at it.
but i had my good days. and was so the good.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Mejc said:
Oh and the passing comment if ur ever in Denmark or Norway try and see on of their handball games...u'll be surprised!!!
saw Denmark Vs Norway at Sydney......my god it was good!! (and Australia Vs Sweden or Switzerland..it was a massacre)

I used to teach/coach European Handball as apart of a Sports Science course in a previous life (about 7 years). I love the game and wish it was shown more on Foxsports (and that I lived near a team so I could play)....
Whilst the Aussie standard is getting better, it pales in the face of the European standard so if you only see a local game, it will of course look weak (aimed at the negative comments of course)

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
Hmm...after a small surge it seems the thread is dying :( oh well back to my Handball world at least there are a whole bunch of cup mathces (hopefully Gyori ETO will easily account for Lublin in the EHF!!) to keep me happy :)

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
snapperhead said:
saw Denmark Vs Norway at Sydney......my god it was good!!
I was at that game too lol i went there firstly for the Hungarian Vs. Angola game...not that i am biased....u should see the way the two teams are playing now but u probz saw that during the Olympics aye.... well Denmark at least!!!

vanbanned

Banned
HSC
N/A
I'm in Europe at the moment and I went to a few of the European Championship qualifying matches and the Women's Champions League and it was awesome. The 2000 Olympics were nothing compared to the Champions League.

Mejc, do you know of any handball clubs in Sydney? (or anyone else)

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
vanbanned said:
I'm in Europe at the moment and I went to a few of the European Championship qualifying matches and the Women's Champions League and it was awesome. The 2000 Olympics were nothing compared to the Champions League.

Mejc, do you know of any handball clubs in Sydney? (or anyone else)
U saw the Champions League damn u =p i saw (and went to ) last years group matches (FTC, Dunaferr NK), plus a few EHF's ..... but which matche's did ya see for Champ's Leagues and Qualifying??? Yeah the chmapions league is a class above what you get at the olympics i don't think u can get a better team than Slagese atm but i guess if you had Anita Gorbicz in top form and of course Katalin Palinger playing for Slagese then it would be the ULTIMATE team....

Newayz in terms of clubs in Sydney i don't really know of them too much like i don't play atm but i know that Sydney Uni has a clun (which i should bother to at least go and play at but oh well) and so does the Hills district and a couple of others but the site for NSW handball is:

http://www.nswhandball.com.au

ENJOY!

vanbanned

Banned
HSC
N/A
From the women I went to the Kometal D.P game against Lada Toljatti and this weekend I'm going to the Kometal-Slagelse game. Indi Kastratovic played awesome against Lada. She scored 5/5 - pity she is still suffering a bit from the injury. I wanted to make it to one of the Fotex games to see Lazarov play but I couldn't, but I watched him in the Macedonia-Belgium games and the leg against Turkey in Skopje.

I'll probably go to the Ikast Bording-Buducnost game as well. I wanted to go to the Slagelse-Motor game but the weather in Denmark is really bad. But yes, Slagelse are looking really strong, especially with Bojana Petrovic scoring so many goals, but I go for Kometal, so hopefully she wont score so much this weekend.

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
vanbanned said:
I wanted to make it to one of the Fotex games to see Lazarov play but I couldn't
I Like Lazarov style (and eyes lol) its a shame that Fotex are going to face Ciudad Real AGAIN...i doubt Fotex will make the semi's :(

vanbanned said:
I'll probably go to the Ikast Bording-Buducnost game as well. I wanted to go to the Slagelse-Motor game but the weather in Denmark is really bad.
Ikast have not impressed me they only beat a struggling Dunaferr by 1 at home (Dunaferr were coming off two slack games at home for the national champs and the team was out of form) maybe Buducnost can hopefully beat them but i'be heard that they aren't as strong as they were last year btw are you going to see the Buducnost - Dunaferr NK game i would be interested to see how they stack up against Katalin Palinger this year (since Dunaferr beat them twice last year to make it to the semi's) but that depends if Palinger wants to play well or not! :)

vanbanned said:
But yes, Slagelse are looking really strong, especially with Bojana Petrovic scoring so many goals, but I go for Kometal, so hopefully she wont score so much this weekend.
When does Petrovic not score ;) its good that she is back from the injury that kept her out of Euro's last yr ...i reckon Ausra Fridrikas may 'cause a few headaches but i haven't seen her play live for a while but i hope Kometal beats Slagese (if FTC did it last year at home so can Skopje)

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
I'm still in shock and in tears .....one of the most talented handball players Anita Kulcsar has tragically lost her life in a car Accident....its moments like this that make u realise how short and tragic life can be!

Here is a short extract from http://www.eurohandball.com about her i can't write ne more i'm too upset !

Anita Kulcsár 2.10.1976 – 19.01.2005 - REST IN PEACE

It is with deep regret, that the EHF has to announce the sad death of a very talented player.

Today, Hungary mourns the loss of Anita Kulcsár.

Anita Kulcsár was a part of the Hungarian National Team, where she played in over 150 matches scoring over 400 goals. She also played for the club team Dunaferr SE.

Anita Kulcsár who was 28 years old, died in a car accident; she was on her way to a training session when the accident occurred.

The forthcoming match of the Women’s Champions League, between Buducnost MONET and Dunaferr SE scheduled for Saturday in Podgorica is postponed until further notice.

ISTEN VELED ANITA!!! ;((
NYUDOGJ BÉKÉBEN ANITA!!!!!!

GOD BE WITH YOU ANITA, REST IN PEACE!

Last edited:

vanbanned

Banned
HSC
N/A
Kometal - Slagelse 20-12. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

R.I.P Anita Kulcsar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)