hardest degrees (1 Viewer)

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
PwarYuex said:
That's incorrect.
this was based on a 4th yr actuarial student on open day at macq.
He said initially there were 200 students, and now only 60 students remained.
Though drop out rate may be a little less due to some ppl repeating but if anyone can clarify what the actual dropout rate, then please do.

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
Monash is the only tertiary provider to have a double MBBS/Law program. USYD's med program is graduate I'm lead to believe, unless you have a really high UAI where you need to complete a degree and maintain a GPA to keep the secured place available to you in the MBBS program. As wells as that only "double degrees" are Arts (adv.), Med. Sci (adv.), Science (adv.), Music (adv.) and I believe something else is on offer as well. And your results of the years in the accelerated degrees of your choice are also indicators of if your place will be secured. I'm sure you can do the Combined Degree Law/?, but you will be spending basically the same amount of time on a degree as you would in MBBS.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
You need to be specific, certain degrees are harder at certain unis than others.

X

xeuyrawp

Deltan said:
Though drop out rate may be a little less due to some ppl repeating but if anyone can clarify what the actual dropout rate, then please do.
Meh, you've got to remember that people constantly push their own agenda; 'My degree's the hardest', 'my uni's the best', etc etc.

AFAIK, around 150 people a year enrol in the BCom-ACST and related (BCom-ACST LLB, BCom-ACST BEc, etc) degrees. Lots of students in BComs, BBAs, BEcs, etc will try ACST units, but will actually not be doing an ACST major and thus probably won't continue with it. Graduation for the ACST degrees seems to be quite high, although I couldn't be specific with the numbers.

That being said, with regards to any 'dropout rate' from an area of study, that's pretty much impossible to get. At a few unis (MQ for example) there's no way to tell the difference administratively for students who intend to permanently withdraw from a degree, or simply want to take a semester/year/time off, as all students are advised to take time off before permanently withdrawing - many just don't re-enrol. Also, many students withdraw from their degrees when they accept a UAC offer (transfer), as well as transfer internally.

I only know about this because my work's involved in lowering dropout rates, and it seems the best that can happen is a general idea of whether it's increasing or decreasing across the whole uni. It may be easier to talk about dropping out from a course at other unis, so *shrug*.

Last edited by a moderator:

Babbu

HSC
Some branches of Engineering have a high drop out rate. We all can sense that very high level Maths and Physics are bound to be harder than other subjects. But since engineers are not very well paid, it is not a high -demand degree (or vice versa). So people think it must be an easy course as it doesn't require high UAI in general. Imagine, engineers going to space or working in aeromautics -- are they less intelligent than any doctors? I suppoe theirs is a harder job than any other.

So engineering is harder in course content but less in demand (in Australia at least). In other countries, engineering is not any less than other courses.

So the thing is, degrees in Medicine, Law and others are in high demand as they fetch more money. More in demand also as there are more and more sick people hence teh job security. But it doesn't necessarily has a harder course content. There are other set of skills required to be a doctor and a lawyer some of them being more general like communication, empathy, your overall way of dealing with others. Besides this, I've heard it has easy syllabus content relted to huamn body.
Actuarial studies, I agree could be harder than Law and Medicine.

piitb

HSC
Deltan said:
well they prob just transfered to a B.Comm course instead. as there are more job opportunities doing a B.commerce, and requires lesser grades.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Babbu said:
Some branches of Engineering have a high drop out rate. We all can sense that very high level Maths and Physics are bound to be harder than other subjects. But since engineers are not very well paid, it is not a high -demand degree (or vice versa). So people think it must be an easy course as it doesn't require high UAI in general. Imagine, engineers going to space or working in aeromautics -- are they less intelligent than any doctors? I suppoe theirs is a harder job than any other.

So engineering is harder in course content but less in demand (in Australia at least). In other countries, engineering is not any less than other courses.
Aerospace is pretty difficult, though i would disagree that engineers arent paid well, and some are in very high demand such as civil engineering.

Med is overrated.

scora

HSC
WHO ON EARTH would want to do combined law/medicine. that's like 10 years in uni. By the time you finish one course and eventually finish the other, the information gained from the first would have probably fizzled over time.
-that being said, if the kids who do it got a 99.95 then maybe

selablad

HSC
scora said:
WHO ON EARTH would want to do combined law/medicine. that's like 10 years in uni. By the time you finish one course and eventually finish the other, the information gained from the first would have probably fizzled over time.
-that being said, if the kids who do it got a 99.95 then maybe
Aside from that, what's the point? Excuse my ignorance, but they don't seem to have anything to do with each other. The only reason I can see for doing med/law is to double your boasting opportunities

piitb

HSC
selablad said:
Aside from that, what's the point? Excuse my ignorance, but they don't seem to have anything to do with each other. The only reason I can see for doing med/law is to double your boasting opportunities
monday to friday you practice medicine

and on the weekends you have to serve as a pro-bono lawyer because you crashed your ferrari into the pole whilst high on cocaine.

hmmm makes a great tv plot

piitb

HSC
or you can alternate between being a lawyer and a surgeon. 1 year of each. that way it keeps your job interesting

xsjado

HSC
And you can represent yourself in court whenever you fuck up. :p

-Anfernee-

HSC
Imagine doing Actuarial Studies/ Software Engineering, that would be so yucky.

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
Actually, its to train Medical Lawyers to defend DR'z and stuff in malpractice suits in the coroner's court. So actually there is a point, dont denounce things :haha: you know the full facts. :haha:

piitb

HSC
Actually, its to train Medical Lawyers to defend DR'z and stuff in malpractice suits in the coroner's court. So actually there is a point, dont denounce things :haha: you know the full facts. :haha:

your 2 days late on that joke:ninja:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)