hardwork vs. natural ability (1 Viewer)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
thats tru

but i know a kid in my class who used to be smart- but: became lazy in yr 10 as follows:

slept through chemistry (half the year)
dropped 3 unit math
slept during physics and caught up later on coz he dropped 3 unit math
stuffed up in english
\
and ended up with ~93. he was one of the brightest from yr 3- 11, but he doesnt even care!

daemonic666

whats the point of this?
HSC
ur right, but its not everythinhg hard work can help.
i used 2 b the smartest kid, but now ppl are always beating me. i still get high marks but never top, as there are just a few better than me. im an all rounder, good at everything, but not excellent.
study hard and u shall exceed
:uhhuh:

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Curry said:
I think some people have the natural ability to just study more efficiently. I mean, I might sit at the desk for around 2 hours, but bludge around for half and hour or so. Others might spend the whole time studying, because they can concetrate more intensly for longer. So they probably study for the same amount, just quicker.

More arrogant to pretend that you are so superior that you don't HAVE to study. :p
Na, I just dont like showing off. Also I never consider what I have done is enough :p

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
I dont think its either. I think its being able to perform in exams. I think that stress management and essay techniques will get you more marks than any huge study sessions will.

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
In physics I averaged about 65% all the way thru year 11 and 12, I just didnt study enough I guess, fell behind and it all became too much, then, the night before the HSC exam for physics, I read thru the entire jacaranda textbook. Got 84% in my HSC exam, but my overall mark was dropped to 81 because of my trial mark lol

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
it depends on how well you can absorb and manipulate all the materials you have and to regurgitate it during the exam/assessment.

i don't think uai's are a reflection of how much or how well a person studies and it certainly isnt an intelligence ranking. would intelligence have scaling?! Hm!

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
pussy_cat said:
In physics I averaged about 65% all the way thru year 11 and 12, I just didnt study enough I guess, fell behind and it all became too much, then, the night before the HSC exam for physics, I read thru the entire jacaranda textbook. Got 84% in my HSC exam, but my overall mark was dropped to 81 because of my trial mark lol
lol i got 65% in hsc for physics, i rkn i wouldve got the same as u if i had studied it before the exam properly, but thats what i done for english, my gay teacher said that it would be impossilbe for me to get 70 in the exam coz my skool assesments were like mostly fails and she said theres noway i could get to uni( warra abuse!!!) but then i got 80 in the exam and got 75 in assesment and i also got into uni!! I mean i wouldve studied properly before all the exams but i had problems, but ofcourse if u study hard u can get 90+ in anything easy.

kaitoufion

HSC
I never really believe in natural ability~ :)
Or maybe in my POV, natural ability = people who can pick out the main points easily/straight away~ While "normal" people have to read or listen to it a couple of times in order to get the main points~

People who get high marks (like 90+) and tell others they never study just wanna make people think they are naturally smart, or another reason for them to say that is that they don't want others to study as much as them so then they can get a higher mark than them.

I guess everyone do that sometimes too :) But just they might say it in another way~ Like:
* I didn't start studying until last night! @_@
* I started studying but soon I always fell asleep~! z_z
* Oops I forgot to study that chapter~! >o<
* I've started studying since 3 weeks ago but not really on this subject~ ^.^"

Hehehe~ I believe everyone do that~ ^_^ Coz I did them sometimes too~ Just didn't want others to study so hard coz I was very lazy~ ^.^" Hehehehe~

S

Shuter

Ok I'll outline this plain and simple.

Natural Ability will only get you so far, probably anywhere up to 90, but not beyond it. This is reffering to pure natural ability. This is probably what I relied mainly on but even I had to pull myself out a little before the HSC exams and actually read through the revision guide once. The only thing I put a bit of sustained effort (few weeks towards the end) was 3U maths, and this showed, as assessment mark of 57, HSC mark of 73. I acheived my 86.90 UAI with 0 complete past papers done in any subject, only looking at/doing homework maybe once a fortnight, minimal class attendance, and normally a few hours revision before a test. Now see I still did get far, but it's not great. What happened was in some of the exams say Biology and Economics, I felt I knew everything in the test, even after I completed it, but I received exam marks back of only 86 and 88 respectively. I can put this down to not knowing how to answer the questions as they wanted. I had the content knowledge, but the HSC also requires the knowledge of how to structucture your responses to include everything they want. This is where natural ability will not help you as the only way to know this correctly it from studying past papers and exemplar responses.
Thus;

Hard work will get you further, if you are in a study pattern which at least involves 5 days a week of doing extra work (even if it's just homework), you can acheive up to 97 without that much difficulty. How well you do will of course depend on how much effort you do put it, but if you simply study some exemplar responses and past papers, you can be assured of doing fairly well.

Now, to acheive anything 97+ will usually require both natural ability and motivation/hard work. It may be avrying quantities of each in different people, but you will definatly require both to get this high, no one quality alone will get you here, despite what people say.

P.S. 1000th post!

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
daiana said:
it depends on how well you can absorb and manipulate all the materials you have and to regurgitate it during the exam/assessment.
i agree with the first part, but not the second.

you have to make links between plain facts, then apply them to the HSC style questions, which require you to do more than just regurgitate. it is literally impossible to get an extremely high mark without having that ability. i guess this applies more to the science subjects - the humanities you can bullshit your way through fairly easily if you absorb things easily on one go.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
daiana said:
wow.. a teacher said that to you? that u wont get into uni? gosh
yup yup....interesting how teachers discourage students these daiz ay....actually for me it worked the other way, coz i got pissed off at what she said and particularly promised myself id do well in dat subject to show her dat she dusnt know wat shez talkn about.....i dnt believe there is such thing as natural talent...i mean we are all born into da world without knowing crap.....we are taught things by people around us and by seeing things...ie 'learning' lol theres noone with natural ability its just laziness dat gets pple down and if they dont like the subject...if they repeat the same thing over and over again - ei read dere textboox, they wil register the content to thier brains, its jus like memorizing da lyrics of a song u hear it a bazillion times so u get it.

Stan..

HSC
Hard work yields results, wheras Natural Ability has to be harnessed. Few people can do that, the ones who do are Genius.

sladehk

le random
HSC
if you ain't smart then you've got to work hard. if you are smart, you should work harder!

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
hmm, interesting subject - havne't read the whole thread...only page 4,so sorry if i'm repeating anything!

so ppl don't get confused, i went through high school in QLD, so instead of HSC we had continued testing throughout yr11/12 (though the yr12 exams were weighted more, and in some subjects eg. maths only yr12 counted)

i personally think you can only get so far with talent - you really need hardwork in the end...but this really depends on the subject.

For example, I find maths/science MUCH easier than english type subjects. And I can tell you now that i did Maths B and Maths C, and the combined time I spent on those two maths subjects was probably less than the time I spent on English...BUT I got a lower mark in English than Maths...but my english marks did improve over the years.

And on the other end of the spectrum, I have 2 friends who are extra good at english (one of them topped english at my school) and unlike me, they found maths harder. BUT they worked hard in maths, and the nature of the subject meant that they did quite well too...

So really, i think it depends on a mix of talent/work/subject....

while typing all of this...2 friends come to mind. One of them does NOTHING (other than sleep) through class...and assignments are all done the day they are due...and she did quite well (obviously not as well as she could, but many people would die to get her mark). needless to say she is naturally smart.

My other friend, studies quite alot - regular studying etc. and no matter how hard she tries, she will just manage a pass. My other friends and I have tried helping her with her maths, but it just seems that she doesn't understand the main concepts - so i guess this is where talent sort of comes in. Despite her hardwork, her final exit mark wasn't as good as the friend i mentioned above....(life is not fair!)

but in the end i think hardwork is the most important...heaps of people in my school had ALOT of talent, but didn't really work/study hard so didn't perform as well...

azn_spirit

...messed up...
HSC
Hardwork always is reliable, as my teacher told me, you put in the time you get the results and I reckon he was right, all you need to do is put in the hard yard and try your best, there is little when it comes to natural ability, what I reckon natural ability is, is INTEREST, like I love maths, 4u maths I find a breeze, why? I was taught maths the the max from a young age hence I grew up having a liking to maths and being able to understand and comprehend it more easily, same for Biology and Physics.

But when it comes to the subjects which I have next to nothing Interest in, I really suck, English for example, I might be smart and all, but seeing how I hate english, I never really got that much marks. So i guess natural ability is about how committed and interested you are in a subject. Examples many asians have natural ability in maths becoz they love maths. :p

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
it's interesting.. because i think the people who do like 4U maths or 3U maths with chem and physics don't do well in English. Because they're not working hard enough.

It's kinda happening to me except i'm doing 4U English, so it kinda forces me to work hard in English.

BUt i thought of how much I spent on 3U Maths and I said, if I could concentrate on English as much i'd get way higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)