Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 21 July 2007 (NO SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
mmmm that cover is interesting!!
Obviously there is more to do with Hogwarts than any one on this thread, or at least in the last 10 pages of it, has suspected. It would be on the back cover for no reason.
And whats with all the treasure....still, i never found the bloomsbury covers particularly enlightening.

HSC
Uhh..i used to think Harry was a horcrux but..

1-why would Voldemort try to kill him?
2-Dumbledore said Lily 'protected' Harry, with whatever spell/curse et she made.
3-You cannot just 'make' a horcrux, there is a process, and i'm guessing its a difficult one, which involves some spell. [Have you been to the CoS forums?]
4-if you're going to say Voldemort will die because is a childrens novel, then Harry will also live, because of the same reason...

There are people who think Dumbledore was a horcrux. I dont get it, but man there are some wild theories.

Also, Dumbledore [i think..] said that there are things worse than death. Voldemort can still live, but be in a state worse than death, which would sort of be like a punishment for all the deaths...

HSC
IN REPLY TO SHIFTY ICE QUEEN:

mm, good points.

I dunno, it just seems the most plausible of all the theories i have read.
Maybe harry is a horcrux but even voldemort doesn't know it...

I'm sure the CoS forums are very detailed, but even they can't know the process. It is never mentioned in the books, and as Dumbledore and Slughorn said, it isn't written down in many places. Perhaps some strong emotional charges or particular cirumstances enable them to be made rather than a spell. Perhaps they can be made unintentionally...

We don't know, so obviously this is all speculation. No doubt rowling will enlighten us and answer these questions.

I suppose that its possible that because it is a childrens book, Harry has to live. But somehow i can't see it happening. Its too fairytale for HArry Potter, which is getting darker and darker with every installment.

Thats a good point about death not being as bad as some things. Maybe he won't die. Something to ponder.

HSC
haha, lol sorry shifticequeen.

Like he said to Harry at the end of Half Blood Prince, he is not a coward.
Yeah, i certainly think that little conversation they had in the grounds is highly significant. there were so many ways that night fight could have ended - she chose to have that convo for a reason. Damn she is clever!

Also another thing i thought of when Snape says he is the half blood prince is that earlier in the book harry worked out that it couldn't be his father because it was dated to 50 years ago, not 25 or so when his father would have been there...plot discrepancy or significant to snape saying it was him - is he covering for someone or something. Dunno. Maybe someone will point out the obvious truth to me, but its been annoying me since i last read it.

Yeah, the whole Neville's parents thing, Harry being the first to know - he already knew when they saw them in st. mungo's, being Neville's mentor and hero through DA and the fact that neville has always been the idiot who stuffed things up and couldn't do any magic. He has to prove himself in this novel. And there is clearly anger at Bellatrix pent up there, you see it at the end of OOTP.

Haha, interesting about the twins. I am a twin myself and it is certainly a dark prospect, yet not altogether unlikely....one or more (because there are so many of them) of the weasly's will die. Wondering who it will be.

HSC
haha, by the way. Anyone a Doctor Who fan?

Lol, last night there were several references to the new book - things like the doctor saying "oh you have to read the 7th book - i almost cried!" and his new assistant Martha saying "Expelliarmus" when asked for a suggestion for what Shakespear could say to stop the Witche's spell!

Hilarious stuff!

HSC
Who do you guys think will die?

I think the most likely people to die are:
-Rubeus Hagrid
-One of the twins
-Draco Malfoy or Severus Snape
-Minerva McGonagall

Only mentioned Harry coz he's stuck in the middle, but i dont see more than one person from the trio dying. Same as the Weasleys. Also i think its just me, but wouldnt she kill the main good characters?

I seriously can't see Harry dying. He IS the main character, and even though he will be somewhat happy in his afterlife [i'm guessing] he had a tough life, the people he loves most are dead, he pretty much only has his friends and Ginny, the Weasleys + the Order. She may kill him to end it all, but she may leave him, so he can live-since his mother and many others died for him.

Ginny is meant to be powerful, she is in a relationship with Harry, only girl ...i doubt she'll kill her off. Agreed with the rest of the stuff Malfoy said.

HSC
Yeah, Malfoy you pretty much summed up my thoughts on the weasly's.
I also thought briefly of a reconciliation with Percy who would then die kind of senario, but i honestly can't see how she could fit something so superfluous to the main plot into what is already going to be an enormous book.
I would put molly in the not likely category though - also don't think it is worth wasting page space on.

As for overall people i think will die:

Harry
Voldemort
Draco or Snape, but not both, possibly neither.
Someone else close to harry - Ginny, Hermione...
A less major character who sacrifices themselves for HArry - Neville, a member of the order (lupin..., Tonks...arthur possibly, but unlikely), another teacher maybe (minerva).
Obviously a few death eaters and a few minor members of the order who are expendable without seriously affecting the main plot.
A weasly. One has to go.

Don't agree about Hagrid i must say. Personally i can't see him having a huge role in the end. I don't know, maybe its just because i don't really like him all that much as a character.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I'm going to be very disappointed if McGonagall doesn't turn out to be a death eater. after I read that essay I'm convinced that's what JKR shoooould do. not that she necessarily will, but yeah, I reckon that would be an orsum twist since I pretty much refuse to believe snape is evil. :santa:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
If Hermione dies I'm going to burn the book... and anybody else's book I come across.

HSC
I don't know about rowling.
I have this funny feeling that a person clever enough to write these books and cunning enough to add in all the twists and unexpected bits we have seen so far, would be clever enough to go out of her way not to give away for definite any parts of the last book, and possibly even to lead rumours down the wrong track.
She knows there is going to be hype about the book, but the hugely tight security i have heard about surrounding the books (i heard that all the 750,000 copies coming to austrialia will be held in one highly secure warehouse until the 16th, when they will be boxed in lots of 20, marked HP7, and transported by locked van to the various bookshops around the state. THe boxes aren't allowed to be opened until within 1 hour of being sold or something, the books cannot go on display (in shop windows etc) to the public until 30 minutes before the 9.01 am official sale opening time and all people who have come into contact with the books have to sign a huge legal document about not revealing any of the information), which gives her great power because she is pretty much the only person on the planet who has the ability to reveal information about the books without being thrown in prison. I think she is too clever to let anything slip that would give fans a clue to the answers.

I reckon anything she refuses to comment on doesn't necessarily mean the answer people want - by not giving an answer she isn't denying anything but she isn't supporting any ideas either - and when she does answer questions, i wouldn't be so sure she isn't just stirring the pot a little.

I 've just had this feeling for some time that everytime someone says "Rowling admitted that so many people die, and that this and this and this might happen bla bla bla" that it's not entirely right. She hasn't written 6 hugely famous books and kept the answers to all of them a secret to let loose on the last one!

Anyhows,

personally i don't think i am the type to burn the book. I suppose i will accept whoever dies...especially if its your favourite character who dies, because it makes the whole reading experience more emotional, which is what is fun about reading. Everyone loves a book where they get to have a good cry at the end.
I think i will be most dissapointed if she makes it too soppy at the end or too fairytale like, but i don't think she will.
I read in the newspaper that something like 60% of potter readers are ageing with him. Like us i suppose. We started the first one in primary school, at about the age potter was when he started at hogwarts, maybe a bit younger, and we have aged with potter so now we are his age, or a little older.
Therefore a more mature ending would work for those readers.
But then there are all these ten year olds who found the books 8 years after the first was written, and probably haven't understood the more subtle things in the last couple of books because they are too young.
Unfortunatly, to make the money, she has to cater for all these readers...:(

HSC
oh, i just remembered (in the shower - great place for remembering things, seriously!) about the Unbreakable vowel that Narcissa and Snape did.
Certainly will have to be included in the seventh book i should think. Maybe somethng to do with them liking each other - lol, it was definitly slightly seductive in the way they had their hands bound together etc - or maybe something to do with the actual vowel. So far Snape has upheld it - but will this continue?? Will he die to protect Draco, seeing as not protecting him would kill him anyway (thats right isn't it - by breaking the vowel they die??)....
thought provoking!

HSC
I thought it was, if Draco couldnt do something he had to do, Severus had to protect him-therefore do it himself or else he will die...

Severus loved someone once, she has to mention this! I want him and Narcissa together :eek: And then Draco will have Severus as his new 'Father':p

JKR doesnt have to do anything for anyone. She has already said that she thinks there will be people who hate the ending.

I 've just had this feeling for some time that everytime someone says "Rowling admitted that so many people die, and that this and this and this might happen bla bla bla" that it's not entirely right. She hasn't written 6 hugely famous books and kept the answers to all of them a secret to let loose on the last one!
Is this directed at me? She has said something about the characters and death...which i have posted up already, and the link i posted was from the people in charge of mugglenet and the leaky cauldron, she has done many interviews with them, and they are the main HP fan sites. Also after reading nearly everything she says, you sort fo get an idea of who will live...

HSC
no its not directed at you, sorry

i just mean that i keep hearing people saying Jk said this and from that i gather this, which therefore must be true, and instantly think they have a spoiler on their hands.
Personally, i am not going to assume too many things from interviews she does etc. because i think she is probably quite aware of what she says and how much influence she has, being basically the only person who knows what happens in the last book who can reveal anything about it..

many things are ambiguous. I read somewhere that she said 'two main characters die'. Okay, so we know two main characters die. But that doesn't rule out the possibility that all the main characters die, it simply confirms that at least two will.

stuff like that makes people think 'oooh, which two main characters will it be', diverting attention from 'how many people overall will die' or 'what does she consider a main characer'.she's clever is all i'm saying.

HSC
No she said two good ones will die, but didnt mention the evil ones. And personally i just take what she says, because she always says the stuff which end up all true..

what she says is ALWAYS true

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
mat2154 said:
apparently the ending of the book has been leaked and a few of the pages have been scanned telling us who dies: dunno if its BS but:

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!
http://bored1654.notlong.com
that was posted here before. It cant be true, and besides, harry is looks like a sook in it. Plus, who the hell is Rimulus? i thought that no new characters were going to be introduced :confused:

$hiftyIceQueen said:
Ok no you're true. She said more than two die. She also says its like a 'bloodbath' :|

http://mugglenet.com/app/news/show/1059
:s :s ...good thing they have that hotline then :( :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)