has anyone done geo trials? (1 Viewer)

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
It's quite obvious what you're trying to do. I just think it's unfair that other people have to go to their exam with a very broad idea of what is going to be asked when you think you can find out the questions in advance and get your advantage, for whatever reason. It's people that try to do that sort of thing that mean that CSSA trials have to be on the same day.

leginag: I'm under the impression that there is an organisation that call themselves the independent whatever, and they write trials, like the Science Teachers' one, so that schools can use them if they don't like the Catholic ones but don't want to write their own. On the bottom of the broadsheet on the back page ours had something about 'copyright Indepentent ___', I didn't pay much attention to it because I was busy trying to do the work.
If your broadsheet was blue with a map of Aus on the front, two topographic maps inside, pictures and population pyramids, then it's the same one as we used. :)

heyyawatever

Watch this space
HSC
Can't argue with that. Morality and fairness triumph over resourcesfulness and competitive advantage.

In regards to the purchasing of papers, all the Catholic papers are done on the same day due to the huge number of schools using them- whether or not thats due to resourceful people who share questions I cannot say.

I would probably share the same stance of you too, Midnight, if I had done the exam weeks ago-but hey " you can't blame a guy for trying".

:)

Last edited:

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I'm not sure about the Catholic reasons. I just assumed that it was the case, because my school makes us sit for international external exams in year 10, and they had to be taken at similar times around the world so that no one could pass information. [Why would they do that? I don't know. But rules are rules] So it could very well be that it's because of the large number of people that sit them, sorry for assuming. :)

heyyawatever

Watch this space
HSC
midnight said:
I didn't pay much attention to it because I was busy trying to do the work.
If your broadsheet was blue with a map of Aus on the front, two topographic maps inside, pictures and population pyramids, then it's the same one as we used. :)

Lets say...Northern Australia? Done and Dusted. Too easy. :)

SuZiE HiGh

SuZiE HiGh
HSC
geo trial

yeh the independant trial was weird...
extended response were predictable.. but the short answers were not a good test of what we know.. youll see. I agree - the 7 marker was so stupid - i only got 5 and i wrote like 11 1/2 pages..
i expected 95 - ended up only getting 90! dont expect high marks with this trial.. although its a standard paper..

SUZIE HIGH :rolleyes:

wwwww

HSC
can someone please tell me what was in their trials, extended response and short answer. what should i concentrate on? please, i'm not doin that well in geo and need to boost my rank!!!!!

thanks allot
mike

heyyawatever

Watch this space
HSC
SuZiE HiGh said:
yeh the independant trial was weird...
extended response were predictable.. but the short answers were not a good test of what we know.. youll see. I agree - the 7 marker was so stupid - i only got 5 and i wrote like 11 1/2 pages..
i expected 95 - ended up only getting 90! dont expect high marks with this trial.. although its a standard paper..

SUZIE HIGH :rolleyes:
Hehe, in comparison to the School based papers the teachers write, I quite enjoyed the "ITE" paper. I liked the generalist essays questions, but the multiple choice questions left a bit to the imagination.

In regards to the 7 marker, it was somewhat difficult to interpret what the question wanted. Those sort of short-ish long response questions are a burden on time. Explaining the features of __________ Island and their impacts made it easier to do but they still piss me off!

You sound like your headed towards high success, good luck with that 'Suzie':)

leginag

Sydney, NSW, Australia, Southern Hemisphere
The independant school trial WILL differ between schools. I've compared two papers and they had different essay questions.
I aced the analysis section..24/25...it was easy as lol..and full marks in the 7 marker
You just have to make sure u answer the question...and not the essay u want to write lol

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Gah i thought i would have done better but im still ranked one so no biggy but i thought i would have got higher =/

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
A couple of the multiple choice questions threw me because I didn't read the notes above the question properly and looked at too many sources. :( Oh well, our grade's average was 8.5. :eek: In fact, the average for the whole exam was 58. I got substantially above that, so I suppose I should be pleased. ;) I improved by 8% from the last exam too.

I ended up doing okay in the short answer section, I missed out on the population growth one [I was like 70% out...oops] and didn't get full marks for one of the others. But that's my weakest area, I didn't choose geography to become a weather girl. I got 6 for the 7 mark question, which will do. I'm still waiting to go through it in class because I had absolutely no idea on how to answer it, and just gave up after I filled in the lines so I could start my responses. :) [Did well in those, except I'll make sure that we've learnt how to answer 21 properly before the HSC, we never actually did that in class, just did a case study with the syllabus points and were told just before the exam that we'd need examples for the exam :mad: ]

I'd like to get another 5 or so marks for the actual HSC exam. Our top student got around my trial mark last year I think, and then ended up doing extremely well in the HSC, so I'm aiming to equal or better that. :D

Sorry for the life story. Good luck to everyone in preparing for the exam.

neonazi

got my marks back for the catholic trial paper. was pretty pleased. got 85%. that was the top in our class, and its the first time i have topped anythin. i fucked up completely in the multiple choice, but aced all the other sections. i was very happy.

stef since 1986

Tenille said:
Wasent too bad, the only thing i had a bit of trouble with was the essay question on Economic activites but i didnt study enough for it serves me right and i forgot what ecological dimensions or whatever it was. silly me. but other than that is was fine
yeh im exactly the same!!! but i still got reasonable marks in my essays.. loved the multi choice and short answer in the cath trial. i just neded to study a bit more for the essays.. altho the Urban Dynamics qu. was fucking easy! loved it!!

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I got my paper back today, so I'm assuming the other Independent people will have theirs back soon.
I'm still interested in seeing what others wrote for the 7 mark question, so if anyone would like to post their answer [in the extended or summarised form] I'd appreciate it. :) I don't think anyone at my school got full marks, and I know no one in my class did, and I was away when we were going through that part and forgot to ask the teacher about it.

I got 95 in the CSSA trial the next mark was 84, big gap. I lost all my marks in the essays I got 18 in the ecosystems nad ec activity essays and 19 in the urban places one.
So ive kept my rank at 1 which is good, and no matter what happens now no one can take that away from me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)