Has music made you smarter? (1 Viewer)

cmckie

HSC
So there is heaps of studies out in the world about the connection between music and human intelligence, but do you believe that learning an instrument has helped you out at school?!

HSC
As a pianist (played some of the Liszt Concert Etudes) and a guitarist, I really don't think that it's helped me much at school... especially considering the amount of time enjoyed practising rather than doing work:D! But even still, there are plenty of great reasons to take up music, other than improvements in intelligence...

Jazz improvisation, which i was into as well, may yield some benefits, because when there is complex and rapidly changing harmony, you need to develop the skill of memorising many complex scale shapes and working them around chords etc to fit in with the harmony, so yeah it would most definitely develop a sort of problem-solving ability.

nicbono

HSC
when i work i listen to classical music, this really makes me absorb what im doing and is really good because there are no lyrics to confuse the words and thoughs i have.
after that its just a mass burst of hardcore music :) gotta love it.

11kloseboy

HSC
N/A
Well I listen to rap and electronic music alot, I get good grades at school. People in society say that rap music damages your brain which i reckon is fake to a certain extent. It won't affect how you work out your maths or memorizing notes. It might affect your social life and the way you solve social problems. Music has limited affect on intelligence the only way it could affect you is if you just listen to music all day and don't study.

eliseliselise

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I think it helps in disipline more then intelligence
agreed.

having learnt violin since the tender age of ... 4 i think its definitely helped.

its kinda given me more problem solving skills, too. and a sense of perfectionism.

& besides music is my outlet. & everyone needs one of those

i think theyre doing alot of combined music degrees these days, lik comb med and music as music stimulates different neurone functions or something [dont quote me on this], i think theres a comb music law @ usyd too.

but yeah. holistically, music has made me smarter

and like the lathams add says...

'music makes you smaaaarter!!'

L-esky

HSC
I play the piano and I can tell you it hasn't made me smarter at all. I'd say I'm just too stupid to be saved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)