Has technology ruined the music industry? (1 Viewer)

anyscope

HSC
I honestly believe that music was better before technology was introduced. It was real, and honest, and nowadays, anyone can create a freaking hit. I mean, I was watching my friend play every instrument I can think of on garage band the other day, with a freaking plug-in keyboard...

and I was just thinking, what the fuck has happened to the world.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I don't see any issue with it, given it's opened up whole new avenues of music.

johony

HSC
i would beg to differ - technology in general has helped to create new genres/styles and broadened the practice of making music.

playing music physically might be a helluva lot easier on a keyboard than a guitar, but it still takes musical knowledge and skill to play it well.

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
people who say this really haven't listened to enough music imo

binary star

HSC
i would beg to differ - technology in general has helped to create new genres/styles and broadened the practice of making music.

playing music physically might be a helluva lot easier on a keyboard than a guitar, but it still takes musical knowledge and skill to play it well.
seconded

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Technology has ruined music in the sense that increasing illegal downloads will eventually destroy the industry it set out to broaden.

Technology is great for music in terms of diversity, accesssibility, and creativity.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Agree with what everyone else has said. The record industry shot themselves in the foot with the introduction of CD's. Not the CD's themselves but their ridiculously inflated price...

Arctopus

HSC
If you're talking about how sound manipulative technology has ruined the music industry then I take it that you only listen to music with instruments such as acoustic guitar as an electric guitar running through a pedalboard w/ Overdrive, chorus pedals and the like, which all have their own equalisers, which then runs through an amplifier, which also has an equaliser, which finally runs into a speaker cabinet, which also alters the sound depending on speaker size and power capacity, would be against your beliefs that technology has single handedly destroyed the music industry and has helped it advance in not even the smallest of instances.

Well, I'd have to agree with you, so excuse me while I go and notate all my music (by hand!) onto paper before I delete it all.

...If you don't like it, don't listen to it. There are still honest and original musicians out there.

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC

Agree with what everyone else has said. The record industry shot themselves in the foot with the introduction of CD's. Not the CD's themselves but their ridiculously inflated price...
the juice run the RIAA.
of course they overcharge and the artists themselves get about 5% of the profit.
not buying a CD means they dont get the equivalent of a single sausage.

go to their concerts instead.

pman

Banned
HSC
the synth, when used in conjunction with other instruments in a rock style song can be quite good, programing music on a computer does not count as being a musician, you are a computer programer

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
+1 to all the people who disagreed :]
i am all for the expansion of home recording due to technology tbh. i think that there is so much potential in musicians and good home equipment has opened up the chance of people with talent getting discovered. technology will always be advancing, I can't see why music shouldn't adapt with the change, especially if it can be improved by it

Arctopus

HSC
the synth, when used in conjunction with other instruments in a rock style song can be quite good, programing music on a computer does not count as being a musician, you are a computer programer

If someone is composing music via an audio interface such as Reason or FL Studio then they themselves are a composer as they have written and arranged all the parts for the particular piece they have created. Go ask an IT professional with no knowledge of musical theory nor the software he is using and see what he can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
N/A
people who say this really haven't listened to enough music imo
Where can I find this magic elusive music you speak of? Because it is certainly not on the radio and the internet is a whole other kettle 'o' fish.

I have yet to find a band that evokes the kind of feeling like when I listen to The Who, Neil Young and so on and so forth and see me feel me and so on and ambulance blues and so on.

I would really like to know.

chuboy

HSC
Technology has ruined music in the sense that increasing illegal downloads will eventually destroy the industry it set out to broaden.

Technology is great for music in terms of diversity, accesssibility, and creativity.
Anyone who thinks illegal downloads ruin music is wrong.

People who perform for money aren't true musicians. The truest musicians play their instruments because they love them, not because they want to get rich. I say, download all the crappy pop artists out of business, then leave behind the people who truly want to share their art. Downloading will kill businesses, but not music =)

Computer-based music is a good thing too. Just because you can make a violin sound on the computer does not mean it is better than real violin. They are completely separate from each other; computers aren't replacing real talent.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
People who perform for money aren't true musicians. The truest musicians play their instruments because they love them, not because they want to get rich. I say, download all the crappy pop artists out of business, then leave behind the people who truly want to share their art. Downloading will kill businesses, but not music =)
The truest musicians better have other jobs then, because from what your saying, no one will make money from the music industry. There is a difference between performing music to make a living and to survive, than those who merely want to capitalise on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)