Has the Cold War begun again?? (1 Viewer)

mattchis

HSC
Yeah during the georgia crisis thats what i was thinking
Wooh! depression and cold war : D

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Trefoil said:
No.

Piss off.
Don't comment if you're out of the loop.

Cold War is back on again - only problem is Russia has more strategic allies. The U.S's biggest asset in the original Cold War was the friends it had on it's side.

ASNSWR127

HSC
The problem that the US faces is that it can't intervene in Europe or anywhere for that matter in a meaningful way.

They are so tied up in cockup 1+2 in the middle east that they simply don't have any troops to be deployed elsewhere.

hence we get a reinvigorated Russia flexing its muscles

and who is to blame them really?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
Don't comment if you're out of the loop.

Cold War is back on again - only problem is Russia has more strategic allies. The U.S's biggest asset in the original Cold War was the friends it had on it's side.
If we lept to Cold War alert status every time some fool misread tension with Russia as renewed hostilities, we'd never get a chance to rest. It's resurgent Russian nationalism, and that's about where it ends.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
lol, cold war has not begun. anyone that thinks so is a buffoon.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Russia intimidating former Soviet states is not a cold war.

Miffstaa

HSC
staticsiscool said:
http://azer.com/aiweb/categories/caucasus_crisis/index/cc_articles/goble/goble_2008/goble_0808/goble_0831_karaganov.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/georgia/2629981/Russia-ready-for-new-Cold-War-over-Georgia.html

Those are just some crap articles that are suggesting it, though they're not very good sources. While the first source does come from Azerbaijan, it does show the opinion of some Eastern European diplomats.

http://vostokmedia.com/n25115.html

But with sources such as the one above ^ we see the come back of classical cold war language. For example, the article quotes Rice as saying:
“We will never accept when one country presses free countries, this situation will never make us give up. The USA and Europe should stand together against such countries."
It just seems so similar to the type of language used by Reagan or the Iron Curtain speech or just the linguistic propaganda that was used at that time.

But in general, there havent been that many sources to tell you the truth. Generally, there have just been some comments by some Russian ministers such as Ermachkov who state that they are a nearing possibility.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
listen, fucking do us all a favour and define 'cold war' for us. so we know wtf your talking about.

Vladimir Putin

HSC
N/A
I have reviewed some of your opinions, and would like you all to rest assured that I will personally do everything to prevent a new Cold War. Besides, the past ideological differences between Russia and the West do not exist anymore.

As for the events in Georgia, we did the only thing we could do and that is to protect innocent civilians from a brutal onslaught.

ASNSWR127

HSC
Vladimir Putin said:
I have reviewed some of your opinions, and would like you all to rest assured that I will personally do everything to prevent a new Cold War. Besides, the past ideological differences between Russia and the West do not exist anymore.

As for the events in Georgia, we did the only thing we could do and that is to protect innocent civilians from a brutal onslaught.

thanks Vlad : )

There everyone see??!!?? even the Prime Minister of Russia says its all OK!

Miffstaa

HSC
bigboyjames said:
listen, fucking do us all a favour and define 'cold war' for us. so we know wtf your talking about.
"a period after World War II (1945-89) marked by political tension and an arms race between the Soviet Union and the United States."

It only takes friggin google.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Yes, Russia and America are coming to a loggerheads now, but it's different this time.
For starters, the world is no longer able to be divided into black and white. Europe is far more likely this time to act as a mediator in any divisions between the US and Russia, and not take sides like last time. It also now has enough power thanks to the EU than it did during the Cold War.
Also, Russia is a far weaker state now. Nowhere near powerful enough to stand up against the US on it's own. Even with being over committed in the Middle East, America is still a force to be reckoned with.
On the other hand, China is Russia's ally this time around, and is not a third party looking on in opportunistic neutrality. This adds a whole new scope to the divisions, as without Europe's undivided support and facing both Russia AND China, the US may find itself outnumbered.
Then again, Russia cannot exert the same kind of influence upon it's citizens that it did last time. They've been exposed to the joys (and horrors) of capitalism and democracy, and have fallen in love with the former. But capitalism cannot work in isolation. You need trading partners. The same goes for China, to a lesser extent.
But yeah, the Russkies have every right to attack Georgia. It's not exactly a perfect state, and it did start the fighting earlier this year by attacking the Russian-backed separatists. Granted, Russia maybe shouldn't have responded with as much force as it did, but how would America like it if Russia started selling arms to Mexico and encouraging it to rebel against the US? Pretty sure America wouldn't think twice about asserting themselves.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Vladimir Putin said:

You can save me from a tiger any day :p

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Miffstaa said:
"a period after World War II (1945-89) marked by political tension and an arms race between the Soviet Union and the United States."

It only takes friggin google.
wtf. you think i didnt know that you assshit. fuck your slow. your definition absolutely contradicts what is going on in the current global arena.

Vladimir Putin

HSC
N/A
moll. said:
Yes, Russia and America are coming to a loggerheads now, but it's different this time.....
You have raised several good points, and yes we have "learnt the joys of capitalism and democracy" and trust me they do not make it any more difficult to brainwash entire populations, just look at America (unlike my fellow citizens who are well informed). But I have several sources that tell me that the new American administration (the Democrats) will continue cooperation between our two nations.

I also assure you that my military will be able to deal with any threat to the freedoms of my people. I will be creating major reforms in our nuclear forces to restore the nuclear deterrent.

Kwayera said:
You can save me from a tiger any day :p
Rest assured you are safe with me.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Vladimir Putin, what are your opinions on the shift from communism to capitalism in your country. is it a success? do you want to go back to communism?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)