Hatshepsut (1 Viewer)

in a drag club full of glitter...no, seriously!
Originally posted by angelduck
Okay:
- Her changing apperance from female-male.
As H. became more powerful, she realised that she could project herself as a powerful figure, in the sex that she wished.
- Changin pronouns in inscriptions
Ditto from above
- Her daughter dying at an early age
Maybe she realised that if she was projecting herself as a man, she could not possibly have given birth to a daughter (As in, physically given birth)
darling, i have just one, teensy problem with ur...'evidence'. IT DOES NOT IN ANY WAY PROVE YOUR ARGUMENT!!! geez.
ok, now listen like a good little gal angelduck, whilst your 'evidence' is all true, none of it proves that she thought she was a man born itno a woman's body. There are extremely simple and powerful/convincing/reasonable explanations for her male self-portrayal in the political and social spheres (and hey, who wouldnt want 2 b a guy?...hehehe...im so gonna get blasted 4 that one!). And we know that she reigned for...what, roughly 22 years (depending on how you date of course)...so we know that she was a competant and efficient ruler, which supports the REASONABLE theories on why she changed her image.
im assuming from ur list of evidence that uve done some basic study into Hatshepsut (im guessing not as a personality yet...), which means that u must realise what utter rubbish ur miriam theory is.
i think someone has waaaaay to much time on their hands. why on earth wouldnt u shop rather than watch miriam? she doesnt even have any style!

Originally posted by angelduck
(1)I dont believe that the fact that shes a woman makes her a reasonable study, i mean, we have had the feminist movement, haven't we???? I mean, seroiously

(2) I realise the Hyksos arent specifically in our time period, but they were the instigators of the 18th dynasty. If it wasnt for them, this dynasty wouldnt have been any where near as good as it was.

(3) Yes, Minoans were basic, but still interesting, and i feel more study worthy than H. They were so superior to other countries, they had drains, sewrage, 3 storey buildings, toliets, running water. come on!!!
oh yes, i forgot about this post. sorry, was going 2 answer this all 2gether, but, got kinda thrown by 'miriam' thing...well, who wouldnt?
anyway...
(1) darling, the feminist movement as such is over - as in, it is no longer a new method of interpretation. HOWEVER, when a new perspective is established within history, it then becomes (like in English), a critical method that should always be considered. Therefore, it does not matter if we are not studying Hatshepsut in a time when feminism is the burning social issue, a good historian shoud still consider how they can use this ciritical school to gain another insight to their area of study - and Hatshepsut is the obvious choice for this time period!
(2) the hyksos may have been the instigators of the 18th dynasty - note, you cannot state this unequivocally! - but, even if you wish to take the line concerning their relative importance to the 18th dynasty, they are still irrelevant 2 this argument - they are NOT A PART OF THE EIGHTEENTH DYNASTY! get over it! this argument is not a winner angelduck!
(3) Minoans. i hate minoans. HATE. so very boring. anyway, personal opinions aside *hate hate hate*, studying Minoans is not the same thing as studying Hatshepsut. A study of Minoans is a civilisation (if u can call the minoans that) study, not a personality study. Completely different focus! Also, it is not even as if there are any notable Minoans that you can study in depth - justgeneral theories on the operation of the society as a whole. And all of them are easily countered by opposing schools. At least with Hatshepsut, there's a little more meat in the course.
So, i think we can safely discount your arguments number 2, 3 and 4 completely as they are not relevant to the requirements of the course.

oh, and tina, i feel so sorry for u darlin! the harpy queen sounds awful! in luv with the dread gae callender huh? i erally dislike callender's work. So many history teachers seem 2 use her as a paradigm of the perfect ancient historian, yet, most of her ideas are fairly common ones. I haven't found very masny of her ideas that are original - many historians have espoused the same theories. and all her comparisons of her work with earlier arxhaeologists and historians. she discredits them to make herself look good, failing to mention most of the time that they did not have access to the same material she does and that their theories were accurate and reasonable assumptions/hypotheses based on what they had. Sher also fails to mention other contemporary archaeologists and historians who espouse the exact same views, making it seem like she is the only one capable of such theories!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
u know guys, i was gonna post something here...but ive got the feelin that itll do no good. *sighs* angela, ur on ur own babe!!! i have 2 say...even tho ull prob kill me 4 this at skool l8er...*braces self* i believe alfalfa may be right about this. as much as i dislike harpy, callender etc. the minoans were damn boring and hatty-soup's gotta be the best one 2 do out of the time period. u know i dont really like her...but at least theres scope 4 a good answer, lots of historiography, new critical schools etc. alfalfa's right.

oh, and tina? mayb we should both just back out of this one!!! hehehehe...angie's gettin burned...serves her right 4 spendin so mcuh time watchin miriam. lol, if her theory was right tho, hatty-soup could be *evil music* DARK MIRIUM...*dum dum dum!!!* anyway, like i was sayin, we know when we're not wanted!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
you know, i think we all (including the harpy queen) need to remember that the purpose in doing a pesonality study isnt to cultivate a 'we worship the ground you walk on' mentality *mentally apologises to harpy queen*, its to study their achievements etc. if what makes them unique is that some things they did were completely different and turned out to be detrimental then thats ok. you dont have to like who ur studying.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
actually, more on that, i think if u dont like the personality ur studying, maybe itll be not so great 4 u in class (damn the harpy to hell!), but itll probably be better 4 u in the long run. after all, its when ppl really do adore the person theyre studying that they stop being able to look at them critically and see where they didnt do things properly, or they didnt stand out for being the best or most innovative. so, us not loving hatshepsut can work 2 our advantage - remember children:
JUST COZ GAE CALLENDER LOOKS LIKE A GIRAFFE DOESNT MAKE HER RIGHT! HER THEORIES ARE JUST THAT - THEORIES.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
^LOL on the giraffe thing! And remember kids, if you judge Gae Callender by her looks, you would not see these great theories (gospels according to Harpy).

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
tina_goes_doo said:
, if you judge Gae Callender by her looks, you would not see these great theories
sorry tina, nut i must disagree...if u judged gae callender on her looks ud never c anything else - ok maybe that was harsh, but i swear im still havin nightmares about strnage giraffe type creatures - THAT NECK IS NOT NORMAL!!!!
ok, im calm now...not in panic...i deny that i have a phobia about strange pseudo giraffe people!...its not true i swear it! *runs off screaming*

tina_goes_doo said:
*tina rips off mask*

Aha! I AM Gae Callender!! Fail HSC for choooooooo!!!
well...that certainly explains a lot darling.
have u considered the many merits of plastic surgery 2 fix up ur face? or was it neck? anyway, i was v. much disturbed by earlier comments that likened u 2 a giraffe...must c 2 that or ull never b able 2 leave the house 4 shame!

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
I spelt it Gai instead of Gae. Same thing anyway. Giraffe's don't deseve names...unless its Happy Healthy Harold! He was sweet!

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
The duck is a smuck. Hehe...it rhymes!!

Don't worry duckie, we still love you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)