Having doubts about degree (1 Viewer)

dancingqueennn

HSC
N/A
Hiii everybody, so I’m commencing USYD Commerce with a double major in business info system (bis) and design (which is seemingly UX-centred), although I'm having doubts about wether or not it's worth it.

I've heard many people say business information systems at USYD is a waste, especially since it doesn't teach "technical" skills. I also chose design because I'm somewhat interested in UX areas (was also initially planning on doing Interaction Design at USYD).

I guess my main concern is that doing a single business degree may not be worth it, especially in regards to maintaining a competitive edge. I'd imagine UX roles would favour students studying the full-fledged interaction degree, meanwhile I've heard bis is "fluffy"(hence potentially making getting internships/experience harder). I'm also not sure if its a waste to pair two majors that may not relate to each other (basically have no idea if design and bis mesh well together).

Overall, I think simply doing a business/IT double at UTS would be better (especially since I'd actually learn more programming and it open a wider range of opportunities) but I chose USYD instead (mostly) due to a scholarship ($8500 per year), which I'm starting to regret. Also USYD doesn't have an IT degree, it has computing which I'm not interested in studying.

sorry this is moreso a rant lol, any input would be greatly appreciated :)

rubypinky:)

HSC
hi, I don't know if this helps but was wondering why you decided to do bachelor of commerce major in design and not bachelor of interaction design? if you are interested in UX design?

dancingqueennn

HSC
N/A
Initially I was aiming to do interaction design with an added "advanced studies" degree so I could do a second major (in business info systems). this would have added an extra year to the interaction design course (4 years total compared to just 3 years for commerce). I was also aiming more towards careers relating to business but I recently realised I think enjoy UX more (the idea of reading about companies and all that is giving trauma flashbacks to business studies lol)

rubypinky:)

HSC
so which one do you wanna do more? Business Side or Ux designer?

liamkk112

HSC
Hiii everybody, so I’m commencing USYD Commerce with a double major in business info system (bis) and design (which is seemingly UX-centred), although I'm having doubts about wether or not it's worth it.

I've heard many people say business information systems at USYD is a waste, especially since it doesn't teach "technical" skills. I also chose design because I'm somewhat interested in UX areas (was also initially planning on doing Interaction Design at USYD).

I guess my main concern is that doing a single business degree may not be worth it, especially in regards to maintaining a competitive edge. I'd imagine UX roles would favour students studying the full-fledged interaction degree, meanwhile I've heard bis is "fluffy"(hence potentially making getting internships/experience harder). I'm also not sure if its a waste to pair two majors that may not relate to each other (basically have no idea if design and bis mesh well together).

Overall, I think simply doing a business/IT double at UTS would be better (especially since I'd actually learn more programming and it open a wider range of opportunities) but I chose USYD instead (mostly) due to a scholarship ($8500 per year), which I'm starting to regret. Also USYD doesn't have an IT degree, it has computing which I'm not interested in studying.

it really depends imo. most ux roles seem to barely even mention a degree like most technology roles nowadays. hence i think it would be a good idea to just craft a really good portfolio, using tools that are commonly used like figma, to show that u have the skills to commence work in the ux role. not wrong that maybe u wouldn't have a heavy focus on programming, but in most ux roles that seems to be a minor role.

so it really depends on how flexible/what u really want to do when u finish. if u want a more flexible degree in it then obviously business/it is a good combo. but if u really want to get into ux, then the degree at usyd would be sufficient, at least from my perspective.

cossine

HSC

Saying USYD does not have an IT degree is bit meaningless as Usyd Bachelor of Advanced Computing can be seen as an IT degree. What matters in deciding between UTS and USYD should be things if a particular subjects is taught or not.

Are there any issues with particular subjects?

dancingqueennn

HSC
N/A
now I'd say I'm leaning towards ux (but that could change once I start design and business units). although I also like the range of opportunities with commerce/business info systems

dancingqueennn

HSC
N/A
Saying USYD does not have an IT degree is bit meaningless as Usyd Bachelor of Advanced Computing can be seen as an IT degree. What matters in deciding between UTS and USYD should be things if a particular subjects is taught or not.

Are there any issues with particular subjects?
true true. I think the issue was that I looked at computing units at USYD and they don't really appeal compared to UTS'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)