Heckler on Canberra (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/heckler/canberra--where-being-polite-is-a-capital-offence/2006/02/27/1141020021818.html said:
I was pedalling down the bike path in Canberra to work the other day, when from behind me came another cyclist. Ignoring the brotherhood of cyclists, he doesn't ding his bell, or call "Good morning" or an "excuse me" or even "hey you" as he sideswipes me, and as I give a yelp of alarm and veer into a ditch, he pedals away as fast as he can, without so much as a "sorry".

When I first came to Canberra I was amazed that other cyclists would not return a hello. Cyclists in Lycra are bad. Lycra-wearing cyclists on racing bikes are worse, full of sanctimony and self-righteousness. They're all single-minded obsessives who deserve to be run over because they ignore the road rules.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, Canberra has the drivers to do just that, and the NRMA and AAMI confirm their record. I used to think that Canberra had the worst drivers in the country because everybody in Canberra came from somewhere else - Melburnians giving way to trams that aren't there and turning right from the left-hand lane; or Brisbanites ignoring "Left turn on red permitted after stopping" signs because "we don't have them in Queensland".

Canberrans, I have decided, are some of the most arrogant, small-minded and inconsiderate people in Australia. This is because all the dreary, creepy borderline personality disorders in the federal public service get "kicked upstairs" to Canberra.

Once here, they watch ideas, mostly bad ones, emerge from Parliament House, roll down the hill and fall into Lake Burley Griffin. Their job is to strangle the ideas that make it to shore, and they can't even do that.

It's not just the cyclists. This behaviour is also seen in the pedestrians - they will not even make the slightest adjustment to their path. I have seen them coming, moved out of their way, and yet they still manage to walk into me. It never ceases to amaze me. I have taken to muttering, "Do you drive like that?" Alas, the answer is, yes, they do drive, and ride, and walk, like that.

Every state has a stupid slogan on their numberplates. Canberra goes better, and has three. "The Nation's Capital" which is at least a statement of fact, "Heart of the Nation" which is not, and "Feel the Power" because "Bend over, losers, and feel the power of Canberra" was too long to fit on the plates.

Canberra wants to increase its tourist trade. Recent proposals have varied from the delusional to the desperate, from building another "iconic building" and converting ugly car parks into uglier hotels, to encouraging residents to invite their relatives over for the weekend.

What it should do is round up all its inhabitants and ship them off to remote regional parts of the country where they could learn that the best way to encourage people to come and visit, to be your friend, is to be nice to them. Or at least polite. And if that doesn't work, maybe the slogan should be changed to "Canberra - barge right in".
It's funny because it's true :(

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sure I run down some, nay, most predestrians when married with my bike (we're now seporated), but i'm really polite about it.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
As Shane said it is so true, I noticed it as soon as I moved here - especially the driving which is by and large atrocous (especially within the Inner North).

At the time I coined a simple theory to explain this - canberrans in cars were not in fact drivers they were cyclists who happened to be in a car. As a direct consequence of this they have a severely limited knowledge of the dimensions of their vehicles (they have afterall just been made conserably wider on one side and given two extra wheels - a big adjustment for many canberrans... or rather too big).

Upon the site of a parked car their immediate reaction is to swerve aggressively onto the opposite side of the road - regardless of any oncoming traffic. Their knowledge of whom gives way to whom at an intersection (especially roundabouts and opposing stop signs) is severly impaired - which perhaps explains the plethora of traffic lights (more per capita than anywhere else in Australia).

I have (and I kid you not) seen two cars acciodently nudge each other (audibly) and neither driver realise, stop, signal, etc. Many rules are out of date - eg the ACT still requires you to guesstimate a damage bill for an accident before calling police. Others are poorly understood and rarely obeyed - eg 'lane one form' (which is incedently a foolish idea as it places no onus on anyone in particular to merge but rests on a 'it'll sort itself out' philosophy). Cars are not even required to undergo a roadworthiness test to have their registration renewed.

The licensing system certainly doesn't help matters, a driving test is optional and Ls are gained in the classroom which places the system of only slightly higher integrity than finding a licence in a specially marked packet of cornflakes....

Ending the rant on canberra drivers I will briefly address cyclists.... the story here is much better I've never had a huge problem as either a pedestrian or cyclist the only comment I can make is the range of wanky bikes possessing suspension on both ends (ultimate wank being a single fork front end), disc brakes, etc.

To finnish on a positive note though cycling is great in canberra bnecause unlike the roads which criss cross (or rather loop-loop) arbitrarily the cycling paths travel pretty much directly from one place to the other. Oh and the bike shop on campuss is great.

hangerm5

HSC
I went on a gentle cycle around the lake last nite and was almost run over by the lycra wearing cyclist on racing bike as mentioned. I dont know if I qualify as the canberran described in this article. I am chosing not because I have only lived here for two weeks....

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Campus bike shop is great because it's run by Spike Milligan (He's uncanny I tell you!) and, if pushed or violently set upon, he'll do you a good price.

Re. cars, surely something has to be said about the plethra of pay parking and Walter's crazy circles?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
"Out of my way peasant, I'm the vice secretary to the deputy shadow treasurer."

How does one get earn their L's and P's in Canberra addy? If it's so easy here, I may as well go for it.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well as far as I know Ls are gained through somekind of classroom (eg at school they teach you some road rules) based system and then you have two options to get your Ps, either logbook or test.

For the logbook you require a certified instructor to tick off everything over time and say that you are competant and then you are given Ps with no on road test.

The test way seems to be the quicker of the two not sure if there is a time restriction on it but it seems you basically rock up at the motor registry whenever you think you can pass a test and if you do you get your Ps.

A year later (?) you become eligible for the P-off course which is basically the equivalent of NSW green Ps. You get more points (a total of 8, and no longer have to display P-plates).

I'm not 100% sure on this stuff as I simply transferred mine from NSW so check with canberraconnect.

Oh a further rant that occurs is the leniancy of traffic infringements here - in the ACT 1-15km over the limit is regarded as at the same level whereas in NSW by 15km over you are onto the third tier.

Oh as a PS: I prefer to be called Kieran.... Addy is afterall the name of my ex....

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Just to add to this little rant

Canberra cars just dont have indicators - thats my observation.

since i came here last year i think i could count on one hand the number of times i've seen someone with an ACT number plate actually use their indicator.

mcs

HSC
Grrr just thinking about the idiots on the bike paths make me wanna punch someone.... and that guy is exactly right. But the driving I cant believe how bad some of the drivers are.... the best one ive seen so far is a middle aged man and his wife drive on the wrong side of the road in Dickson across the pedestrian crossing just so that he didnt have to stop for me to cross the road- just idiotic behaviour. But saying that i am only new to Canberra but geez the driving is atrocious.
Some champion of the locals has written a hecklers reply on that site

Lock up new capital-ists for a year's re-education
By Russell Wenholz
March 3, 2006

HECKLER

THE only thing I don't like about living in Canberra is putting up with people who are new to the city. They are a menace on the cycle paths, of which Canberra has an excellent system. With the correct bike and suitable clothing these paths serve the double purpose of keeping users fit and lessening the reliance on fossil-fuel-fed means of transport. Visitors are easy to identify on these paths. They pedal at a pedestrian pace that fails to increase the pulse rate. They meander (wobble) from one side of the path to other and expect to exchange a "have a nice day" with every other user.
Similarly, these new chums have no experience driving on a designed road system. Raised on roads that are permanently clogged with vehicles (and refusing to use tollways), interstate drivers seem unable to drive at more than half the allowable maximum speed - despite the speed of the traffic around them.
And, of course, outsiders see Canberra as a town of politicians and public servants and believe that Canberrans live in the shadow of Parliament House. Only four federal politicians are from Canberra. The rest are outsiders. Canberrans prefer to avoid these outsiders. During the working week, Canberrans try to avoid the parliamentary triangle. Even the public servants - less than half the Canberra workforce - prefer to work at sites well clear of the buildings frequented by politicians.
When I walk down Pitt Street in Sydney I do not expect the locals to greet me as someone from out of town - someone they should be taking note of. So why do new residents in Canberra expect me to inquire of their wellbeing on the strength of their having walked past me in a shopping mall?
People who move to Canberra hang onto their car registration plates for as long as they can. They believe it is some badge of honour to have "State of Excitement", "Premier State", "Garden State" - how original is that - officially - on their car. I have had to tell several Queenslanders "no, your car is not the first vehicle to be seen in Canberra purporting to be from the Sunshine State." New residents in Canberra should be issued with plates declaring "State of Paranoia" - the driver to the locals.
I blame the Canberra Tourist Bureau for destroying the quality of life - they are responsible for people visiting the national capital. Tourists come, see what a grand place to live Canberra is and then do everything they can to find a job here. But these days each new arrival feels obliged to convince Canberrans that they come from a far, far better place and they are doing Canberrans a great favour by choosing to live in their city. This delusion can endure for several years - unless stamped out by the more intolerant of Canberrans.
My proposal is that people who want to move to Canberra must spend at least 12 months in a halfway house - somewhere close to the NSW border. Then each prospective Canberran must pass a test - written and practical - to prove they are ready to be released in the city proper and mix with the locals without giving them pain in the neck

I bet thats the same guy that drove on the wrong side of the road just to avoid stopping at a pedestrian crossing! Oh and maybe people dont want to register their cars in the ACT because its so damn expensive compared to any other state!

Matt

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
And if canberra is so great why and more than a third of 25-30 year olds moving intersate every year?

Canberras a place filled with three kinds of people:

A) Those (un)fortunate enough to be born here.
B) Those studying here - who may stay as they join the public service.
C) And finally public servants and lobbyists imported from interstate.

Canberra has very few advantages and way to many wankers.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I would contend that the price reduction is indicative of the reduced cost of not having cars inspected when rego is renewed. Upside cheaper, downside poorly maintained and unsafe cars....

mcs

HSC
My mistake... i failed to realise CTP was included in the rego cost in the ACT. loquasagacious i must agree there are some cars in very poor condition down here in the ACT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)