help choosing subjects for first year in a BSp&H Sciences (1 Viewer)

migsy2202

HSC
hey all, im new to the forum and am starting my first year at Mac Uni doing a Bachelor of Speech and Hearing Sciences. I have a few questions im hoping people can help me with.

1. I am taking STAT170 however i am confused by the timetable for it and whether to take it as a first semester or full year subject? If i take it as a first semester subject... what is the second semester timetable for listed below it?? And if i take it as a full year subject that means i only have 10.5CP for each semester... is that ok?

2. I have still to find 2 semester two subjects to take... i am unsure what subjects are either relevent or just interesting as i only have the handbooks details on each.. any advice (particularly on those relevent to my course) would greatly assist me.Thanx

migsy2202

HSC
thank you anyway, stressing out a bit it seems il have to take a trip to Dr Mannell to help me

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
When Offered: D1 - Day; Offered in the first half-year
D2 - Day; Offered in the second half-year
D3 - Day; Offered over the full year
E1 - Evening; Offered in the first half-year
E2 - Evening; Offered in the second half-year
E3 - Evening; Offered over the full year
Summer Session - Offered in January-February as part of Summer School program.
X1 - External study; Offered in the first half-year (On Campus session: 7 May (V))

STAT170 is offered either as a first half year, second half year, and full year course. Meaning you can take it either as, first sem, second sem, or spread over the two, or even summer school. From hearing others, the workload isnt too bad and one semester should be enough for it.

I cant really help you with teh full year thing, havent really understood how that works.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2005&id=21080 Im assuming you've checked that, the prescribed units seem to be pretty set and straight forward, so perhaps you have room for electives of your own choosing :)

ReaveR

HSC
Yeah, one semester is enough, although in the first few lectures they'll keep pushing students to enrol in the full year one. You should count up the credit points and see if they match the requiements of your degree, although having 10.5 per sem means only 21 over the year, which *might* be a little short. I'd still recommend taking it over one semester - you can pick either semester as previously mentioned - you'll be able to get through it with a little consistent application.

As for your electives, try getting ideas from the program of study you picked, otherwise electives can be anything, try getting something you're interested in.

migsy2202

HSC
thanks heaps guys.. that helps alot because im interested in another first semester subject and if i can do STAT170 in the second semester i can pick that up...

is STAT170 hard.. i dropped maths halfway through year 12 and i was doing 2U but not doing to well at it! im worried il get stuck?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
migsy2202 said:
hey all, im new to the forum and am starting my first year at Mac Uni doing a Bachelor of Speech and Hearing Sciences. I have a few questions im hoping people can help me with.

1. I am taking STAT170 however i am confused by the timetable for it and whether to take it as a first semester or full year subject? If i take it as a first semester subject... what is the second semester timetable for listed below it?? And if i take it as a full year subject that means i only have 10.5CP for each semester... is that ok?

2. I have still to find 2 semester two subjects to take... i am unsure what subjects are either relevent or just interesting as i only have the handbooks details on each.. any advice (particularly on those relevent to my course) would greatly assist me.Thanx
sorry i can't be bothered to read all the replies, but:
1. taking stat as full year means you will go over the material at a slower pace.
it's likely the semester 2 timetable is because stat is actually offered sem1, sem 2 and as full year so just ignore the sem 2 and decide whether you want to do it in 1/2 or full year. it's unlikely you can do stat170 is a 2nd sem subject because you have to do psy in sem 1 and is stat a corequisite for psy? i cbb to look it up.

it is ok to only have 10.5 cp for each semester. just check that you will be able to do the total number of cp required to finish off your degree. if at the end of a 3yr degree you need to do 72cp, it means you have to do 24cp ever year. since you'll only be doing 21cp this year, you'll have to pick up an extra 3cp at some time.

i took a look at the handbook http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2005&id=21080 and it says you need to do 72cp. so just be prepared to do a few extra points at some time (for example, in 2nd year you might be able to do 3 subjects worth 3cp and 1 subject worth 4cp, or you could do an extra subject in 2nd sem this year if you're comfortable with doing 5 subjects, but i think that would be a lot of work.)

edit: google can be useful:
http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/programs/bsphsc/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)