Help! Course offers and bonus points? (1 Viewer)

Astea

HSC
Hi so I got an Atar of 86 and I want to apply for a 93 atar course... but I have the EAS as well as the 5 bonus points that the uni offered me.

Sadly I didn't get in, I guess the gap was too large. But my friend who got 91 atar + 5 bonus points got in.

I thought bonus points treated you as equal competitors instead of disadvantaging you???

So technically with bonus points I'd get 96 right? And my friend would get 96 too?

Did I have to apply for my bonus points or something? EAS and at UNSW?

Help please and thank you

Astea

HSC
1. Unsw: international/media and public relations
2. Usyd: speech pathology
3: Usyd: economics

semsav2

HSC
N/A
In same boat. Seem to have bonus points that would mean below atar needed by 0.1, but no offer.

Who do I contact to query, Uac or the relevant Uni?

Astea

HSC
I'm going to call UAC tomorrow and if I'm still uncertain about things I'm going to contact the unis. I suggest you do the same :)
But ofc help on this issue is still appreciated

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Not sure what the issue here is? Why would you expect to get an offer if you were below the cut-off?

In same boat. Seem to have bonus points that would mean below atar needed by 0.1, but no offer.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you have misinterpreted the bonus points/EAS stuff.

Both UNSW and USYD essentially have a 5 bonus point policy. Even if you have 5 subject and 5 EAS bonus points, the maximum they will accept is 5. Meaning, your ATAR must be 88 for a course with a 93 cut off this year. So your ATAR with 5 bonus points of 91 isn't good enough for a 93 course, but your friend who now has 96 is obviously above.

Sorry to see you missed out on the courses you wanted; I've been there, it sucks :(
Keep up your preferences for later rounds though, you never know what could happen! (I had many friends with lower ATARs who still made courses in late rounds as people accept other offers. I stupidly gave up and missed out on that opportunity!)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad

No, even with bonus points your ATAR is to low unfortunately. The lowest offer made for this round was 0.1 higher than what you have.
Hold out for later rounds seeing as you are -that- close, but don't bother contacting the UAC/Uni because this is all they will tell you.

semsav2

HSC
N/A
No, even with bonus points your ATAR is to low unfortunately. The lowest offer made for this round was 0.1 higher than what you have.
Hold out for later rounds seeing as you are -that- close, but don't bother contacting the UAC/Uni because this is all they will tell you.
Meant to say Atar (with bonus points) is above cutoff by 0.1, but no offer :-/

Astea

HSC
I think you have misinterpreted the bonus points/EAS stuff.

Both UNSW and USYD essentially have a 5 bonus point policy. Even if you have 5 subject and 5 EAS bonus points, the maximum they will accept is 5. Meaning, your ATAR must be 88 for a course with a 93 cut off this year. So your ATAR with 5 bonus points of 91 isn't good enough for a 93 course, but your friend who now has 96 is obviously above.

Sorry to see you missed out on the courses you wanted; I've been there, it sucks :(
Keep up your preferences for later rounds though, you never know what could happen! (I had many friends with lower ATARs who still made courses in late rounds as people accept other offers. I stupidly gave up and missed out on that opportunity!)
Hey thank you ilikecats for explaining it to me, I can't believe it went over my head. I guess I made a false assumption because apparently Macquarie allows 9 points or something...

Kinda sad now... but thank you for clarifying!

Astea

HSC
This depressing realisation is actually sinking in now... I feel so stupid and useless ugh.
I wasted an opportunity to choose courses within my actual atar expectations, not the ones I thought I could get into. Now that I look at the courses, so many potential courses don't have vacancies anymore... I could have gotten offers.

It hasn't completely hit me yet but I think I'm gonna be a train wreck when it does.

JK1314

HSC
Hey thank you ilikecats for explaining it to me, I can't believe it went over my head. I guess I made a false assumption because apparently Macquarie allows 9 points or something...

Kinda sad now... but thank you for clarifying!
Actually, ilikecats is wrong

For UNSW, across all bonus point schemes (ACCESS, HSC plus, Elite Performers), you can only get a maximum of 10 (as opposed to 20 or something)
They clarified that during the google hangout session they had a while back :)

It could have been that your EAS wasn't sufficient enough to gain 5 points because it changes every year due to severity of your circumstances

knacknick23

HSC
Actually, ilikecats is wrong

For UNSW, across all bonus point schemes (ACCESS, HSC plus, Elite Performers), you can only get a maximum of 10 (as opposed to 20 or something)
They clarified that during the google hangout session they had a while back :)

It could have been that your EAS wasn't sufficient enough to gain 5 points because it changes every year due to severity of your circumstances
Exactly, their website says "If you are eligible for UNSW's ACCESS Scheme you will receive up to ten EAS bonus points depending on the degree of educational disadvantage you have experienced."

Lickety split

HSC
I am confused about bonus points, I applied to used under EAS but got an email saying sorry but you didn't make it blah blah but then I got accepted into a course 3 points above my ATAR, can anyone explain this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)