Help for a year 12 (1 Viewer)

Purplelollie

HSC
N/A
Hello, guys I want to do psychiatry or psychology but due to some unforeseen events I'm not having the best time in year 12, initially I was doing very well in the junior and pre lims year, but family issues and such and my ATAR estimate is around 65-75 after trials and I don't know how far I can push that, I think my ATAR is pretty much unsavable tbh.

So I'm thinking of doing Criminology in UNSW which is 85 ATAR, is it possible if I work extremely hard, I can still get into psychology or medicine (as med is required for psychiatry) and how exactly and what is required tbh.

Thanks~~~~

HSC
Ofcourse!! Dont lose hope, u have several options to become successful in life!! Goodluck

Revitalize

HSC
HSC is 50%, don't forget that. Your assessment mark may be if-fy, depending on your rank and how your cohort goes.

But also, you're aiming for UNSW, consider other universities for your UAC preferences, like macquarie, UWS, ACU (I'm not sure if they offer the courses but they typically require a lower cutoff). By not going to UNSW you take away the prestige and the higher cutoffs, you'd still get the same/similar degree. Different pathways to the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Revitalize

HSC
Also, regarding Med, you'd have to have taken the UMAT exam (correct me if I'm wrong). Have you taken it?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Also, regarding Med, you'd have to have taken the UMAT exam (correct me if I'm wrong). Have you taken it?

Yeah definitely man most universities need you to take the UMAT exam, except for USYD which if you get 99.95 no UMAT.

buriza

conviction
HSC
Hello, guys I want to do psychiatry or psychology but due to some unforeseen events I'm not having the best time in year 12, initially I was doing very well in the junior and pre lims year, but family issues and such and my ATAR estimate is around 65-75 after trials and I don't know how far I can push that, I think my ATAR is pretty much unsavable tbh.

So I'm thinking of doing Criminology in UNSW which is 85 ATAR, is it possible if I work extremely hard, I can still get into psychology or medicine (as med is required for psychiatry) and how exactly and what is required tbh.

Thanks~~~~
Another option is that you can just do Arts - Psychology at most universities and transfer into Psychology after you've done well for the first year in university. Cut-offs for Arts - Psychology will generally be a lot less.

buriza

conviction
HSC
I would also note that if you're doing the Psychology route, it probably doesn't matter much which university you go to initially. Ultimately you'll do Honours year and then you'll have the freedom of choosing which university to do Masters at, which is what's more definitive at the end of the day to become a registered psychologist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)