Help? How to improve? (1 Viewer)

miasa

HSC
N/A
Despite studying, I still do terribly and I don't particularly know how to improve.
Today, I got my test results back for Maths Extension 1 and the results? Only 30% and even when I looked at the paper again, I still couldn't do it. I don't know how to study anymore.
This goes the same with English and physics also- I'm still really behind.
How do I catch up and get ahead, hopefully? How do I manage my time?

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
how much do you study per day right now? apart from school.
Honestly 3unit really shouldnt be that hard if you put in the effort. it is all about practice and doing past papers.
I suggest you actually try to understand the concepts behind the questions. Doing around 20 past papers for each exam will significantly improve your marks (this is what i did).

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Kill your social life for while, and study. Maths, understand the concepts and proofs and how to dervice everything. Do the homework, doing homework exercises will help you retain the concepts and then do past papers to better prepare for test.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
if you need help, PM me. Consider the notes in my signature

what topics were they and how are you doing in 2U maths?

Kill your social life for while, and study. Maths, understand the concepts and proofs and how to dervice everything. Do the homework, doing homework exercises will help you retain the concepts and then do past papers to better prepare for test.
I guess ill be seeing you next year :)

cineti970128

HSC
I SERIOUSLY advice you to drop 3 u and concentrate on your other subjects.

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
Despite studying, I still do terribly and I don't particularly know how to improve.
Today, I got my test results back for Maths Extension 1 and the results? Only 30% and even when I looked at the paper again, I still couldn't do it. I don't know how to study anymore.
This goes the same with English and physics also- I'm still really behind.
How do I catch up and get ahead, hopefully? How do I manage my time?
Hi Miasa,

I can't help you with Maths/Physics but I can offer advice on English. Do you do Standard or Advanced? The work load might seem daunting right now but just concentrate on breaking up your work into chunks. Start off with a clear mind and make a very specific check-list of things you need to prepare or review for each subject. I would recommend consistent dedication to maths/physics as it's very easy to fall behind, whereas English can be dealt with when you have an entire weekend to just sit down and concentrate.

If you aren't achieving results which reflect your study ethic, then I would recommend talking to the subject co-ordinators and teachers at your school. You need to study smarter, not just harder, which means learning in a way which is entirely applicable to the syllabus, and developing strong exam technique. Good luck, please feel free to PM me if you need any help. x

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Miasa,
I would advise you to drop 3 unit if you are not doing 10 units currently since the time you will spend in improving this subject will probably be better spent in improving your other subjects much more significantly-since it accounts for just one of your units. Even if you do keep it, bear in mind you need to spend some time to understand the concepts and do a lot of practice questions and mark your work, perhaps considering to ask questions on BOS forums if you do get stuck.

Like Loversinjapan said, make sure you determine what you need to do and break it into small chunks and just start doing it, you will be surprised how much you get done when you stop speculating and worrying and start doing. Make sure you ask the teacher/tutor for extra assistance in your weak subjects and make sure you are developing good study techniques that maximises your academic potential. Feel free to read through a senior study guide which I have complied where some sections such as 'how to make a study timetable', and the science and English tips which I have collated might be beneficial to help to alleviate your stress and provide you with some direction. If you need help with anything, feel free to PM me:)
http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html

Best of wishes for your HSC this year:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)