Help In Essay Writing!!! (1 Viewer)

Jackson

ive been writing so many essays relating to changing perspective and i only get around the 12/20 mark... people have been tellling me that there are two ways of writing essays and the method that i use only gets a maximum of that mark.

One such essay question is:
How have the texts you have studied developed your understanding of the nature of changing perspectives?

They say rather than talking about the texts throughout the essay... talk about the issues relating to CP such as inevitabilty of change, the difficult/confronting process of change etc and use the texts as my back-up...

Help would be appreciated

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
a popular misconception is that there is a 'right' way of writing essays - trust me, there isn't.

an essay is essentially a text to convey or argue for an idea or point; a good essay should be structured, logical, to the point and articulate.

perhaps u should read essay writing for students by john clanchy and brigid ballard, published by Longman. it's a very good book on writing essays.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think you really need to sit down with your teacher and find out where your going wrong, and how you can change it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
also, read my 'studying - by Frigid' thread at the top of this forum... *plug-plug*

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i think they meant that you could've related your texts more closely to the module. i guess you mean with, 'just talking about the texts', that you have an excellent analysis of the text, you just need to relate it closely to an idea about change you want to portray.
i think you need to have a thesis for your essay, (like your examples, change is inevitable, change is difficult..etc, but relate that to ALL your texts so you have a consistent argument). as a guideline sort of thing, write a practise essay and make sure all your topic sentences say something about change. you can always manipulate what you've prepared to the exam question.

the texts aren't a backup, you need to analyse them closely and show how they reflect change. consider how the context, purpose, audience, techniques reflect the aspect of change you're talking about.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I had a similar question in my end of year exam. I had to write an essay 500-750 words on this question:

How have the texts you have studied develpoded your understanding of the concepts of power.

I had to write two letters, one to a character of gilbert grape and a juror from 12 angry men. I rwad the question, wrote down on a spare piece of papers all of the types of power that each of these characters had used. I explained them in detail and l ended with somehting like "Thank you for ispiring me to use the power you have displayed in my life and in the furture" I reckon it was shit...NOT an advanced level essay.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
well, 750 words isn't much, even if it's a letter (anything under 1500 won't have much of an argument IMO!)

as far as essay writing goes, as the others have said you should have an argument and just back it up with your texts. Even the stuff you study in class is just 'related' to a topic (changing perspectives) and an aspect of that is focussed on in your essay.

as long as your essay structure is solid (you know how to write an essay, i assume) then the only thing you need to do before the hsc is practise integrating your texts into your points. Probably the most annoying thing about writing an essay is that you want to show the examiner how much you know about the text but you can't because it's not relevant!

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
Originally posted by anti
well, 750 words isn't much, even if it's a letter (anything under 1500 won't have much of an argument IMO!)

damn. i thought 1000 words was reasonable. hmm my brain does not work that fast.. let alone my hands..

sparkles

essay writing

Hi everyone, I am a uni student and I really want to help anyone who needs it with essays.

It is true there is no 'right' way but there are things which you must do. Things that you can improve and add and modify. In short, it is a skill, and one that with practice and possibly a little help, you can conqueor. If you want help... email me... constance.sparkes@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Re: essay writing

Originally posted by sparkles
Hi everyone, I am a uni student and I really want to help anyone who needs it with essays.

It is true there is no 'right' way but there are things which you must do. Things that you can improve and add and modify. In short, it is a skill, and one that with practice and possibly a little help, you can conqueor. If you want help... email me... constance.sparkes@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
hey, do u have essays on specifc texts?:)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC

hey, do u have essays on specifc texts?:)

sparkles

I am not going to give you the essays. I have my own work to do. I am currently writing a unit of work for stage six (ie year twelve) so I have more than enough on my plate.

What I will do is read any essay you have, and help you ... but you have to be willing to learn.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
I am not going to give you the essays. I have my own work to do. I am currently writing a unit of work for stage six (ie year twelve) so I have more than enough on my plate.

What I will do is read any essay you have, and help you ... but you have to be willing to learn.
so u can mark essays for us?:eek: :D

N

ND

Sorry to sound cynical, but how do we know that this isn't just a plight to get our essays?

Everyone send me your cloudstreet essays... i'll umm.. mark them for you.... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)