Help In Understanding. (1 Viewer)

Shadowless

HSC
Question: P05Q4D.png

MY Answer: MI.png

I was wondering if you guys could check if there was anything 'wrong' with my format because during trials, apparently I set up my induction questions poorly and as a result I only got 2 out of a potential 4. =/

Skeptyks

HSC
uh I thought the last sentence had to be the longer version?

Skeptyks

HSC
uh i'm not a genius at mx1 but your working out looks fine...
"and thus if the result is true for n=k it follows that it is true for n=k+1"
"since hte statement is true for n=2, the it is true for n=3 and for n=4, and so on for all positive integer values of n."

Shadowless

HSC
uh i'm not a genius at mx1 but your working out looks fine...
"and thus if the result is true for n=k it follows that it is true for n=k+1"
"since hte statement is true for n=2, the it is true for n=3 and for n=4, and so on for all positive integer values of n."
Can someone verify? =/

Yurtles

HSC
N/A
Question: View attachment 26810

MY Answer: View attachment 26811

I was wondering if you guys could check if there was anything 'wrong' with my format because during trials, apparently I set up my induction questions poorly and as a result I only got 2 out of a potential 4. =/
I would've done what you did, apart from state that k>=1, therefore 21k - 4 >0, and since 4^k etc >0, LHS is > 0. You seemed to ignore the -4 part :/

Shadowless

HSC
I would've done what you did, apart from state that k>=1, therefore 21k - 4 >0, and since 4^k etc >0, LHS is > 0. You seemed to ignore the -4 part :/
What? If you mean the line before my "LHS > 21k" then no I haven't, because we have already proven that the things in the bracket are greater than 1 in the 'verify for n=2' segment.

Yurtles

HSC
N/A
What? If you mean the line before my "LHS > 21k" then no I haven't, because we have already proven that the things in the bracket are greater than 1 in the 'verify for n=2' segment.
Did you? All I see is that you proved that it equals 1 when k=2, not that it is greater than one for all values of k (or n). Your assumption was that the things within the brackets were greater than zero

Maybe I'm missing something, running on little sleep :)

Skeptyks

HSC
Did you? All I see is that you proved that it equals 1 when k=2, not that it is greater than one for all values of k (or n). Your assumption was that the things within the brackets were greater than zero

Maybe I'm missing something, running on little sleep :)
just wondering why is k>=1?

is it because n=k+1 and n>=2?

kenkap

HSC
do we need to know simpson's rule and trapezoidal rule??

Skeptyks

HSC
you should learn a.p. and g.p., dunno about simpson's and trapezoidal..

Shadowless

HSC
Will continue to update this thread with questions throughout the night IF I have to query something. So stay tuned. Thank you.

Fakeuser

HSC
@Shadow - you do NOT have to write that long conclusion for induction. In the words of my maths teacher, you do "not get marks for a memorised sentence".

It's a misconception that you NEED to write the statement. While there's nothing wrong with the statement, it's unnecessary.

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
@Shadow - you do NOT have to write that long conclusion for induction. In the words of my maths teacher, you do "not get marks for a memorised sentence".

It's a misconception that you NEED to write the statement. While there's nothing wrong with the statement, it's unnecessary.
This

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)