HELP- ISOMERS and ALLOTROPES (1 Viewer)

stacey**

HSC
i need serious help...... my teachers keeps confusing me on the difference between isomers and allotropes and the notes i have dont help and the net has made things worse!! if anyone knows the difference (or if they are the same) i just want to know what on earth they are!!
thanks heaps
xxxxxxx

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
An Allotrope is an element with the same chemical properties but differing physical properties, e.g white phosphorus and red phosphorus.
An Isomer is a molecule with the same molecular formula but different structural formula.
So they're different things.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Following Kami's definition, here are some examples:

Allotropes of Carbon: Diamond, graphite, and "Bucky balls".

All of the above structures are carbon, but they have very different properties due to the different arrangement of atoms. Graphite is soft and brittle, and conducts electricity. Diamond is extremely hard and transparent. Fullerenes (Bucky balls) have superconducting powers.

Isomers of C4H8: butane, 2-methyl-1-propene have the same formula but different structures.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Following Kami's definition, here are some examples:

Allotropes of Carbon: Diamond, graphite, and "Bucky balls".

All of the above structures are carbon, but they have very different properties due to the different arrangement of atoms. Graphite is soft and brittle, and conducts electricity. Diamond is extremely hard and transparent. Fullerenes (Bucky balls) have superconducting powers.

Isomers of C4H8: butane, 2-methyl-1-propene have the same formula but different structures.
I think those two have pretty much covered it, but, other allotropes include ozone/ozygen. Don't worry now, I suck at chemistry too. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)