Help !!! Lenz's Law and Faraday's Law. (1 Viewer)

shais

HSC
guys .. can some one plzz explain the differnce between Lenz's Law and Faraday's Law.... WITH SOME EXAMPLEs

Can u also plzz explain Eddy Currents in simple terms ...

i recognise eddy cureents as ... {in order for train to stop , it produces eddy currents...}

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Lenz’s Law states that an induced current is always in a direction such that its magnetic field opposes the changing field that created it.

In Faraday's Experiment a magnet was moved in and around a coil of wire. It was noticed that when the magnet was moving a current was induced in the coil. Hence movement between a magnet and coil will induce a current in the coil. This is faraday's law.

Faraday said that a current will be induced, Lenz said which way the current will be induced.

I suggest you read this biki article, or my notes, if you have and you still don't understand post again. :)

shais

HSC
me121 said:
Lenz’s Law states that an induced current is always in a direction such that its magnetic field opposes the changing field that created it.

In Faraday's Experiment a magnet was moved in and around a coil of wire. It was noticed that when the magnet was moving a current was induced in the coil. Hence movement between a magnet and coil will induce a current in the coil. This is faraday's law.

Faraday said that a current will be induced, Lenz said which way the current will be induced.

I suggest you read this biki article, or my notes, if you have and you still don't understand post again. :)
you see.... how u said induced current and so on ...

for eg .. like ppl say induced emf , induced current ...

in particular term .. what do we really mean by induced current and induced emf. ...

do we mean induced as in ... generated/produced

me121

Premium Member
HSC
shais said:
you see.... how u said induced current and so on ...

for eg .. like ppl say induced emf , induced current ...

in particular term .. what do we really mean by induced current and induced emf. ...

do we mean induced as in ... generated/produced
yeah, when people say induced current they mean that the current has been created by some external factor. definition of induced: brought about by some means.

shais

HSC
me121 said:
yeah, when people say induced current they mean that the current has been created by some external factor. definition of induced: brought about by some means.

thanx man .. if u dont mind ... can you also explain eddy currents in simple terms ... and with some eg

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
me121 said:

The simplest definition of Lenz's Law I learnt during the HSC:
The effect of induction is opposite to its cause.
(This applies both electrically and magnetically)

shais said:
thanx man .. if u dont mind ... can you also explain eddy currents in simple terms ... and with some eg
Eddy currents are circular currents created by an alternating magnetic flux.

shais

HSC
me121 said:

u said which way the current will be induced ... did u mean ... the direction it will be induced in.. or in what method it will be induced....

me121

Premium Member
HSC
shais said:

u said which way the current will be induced ... did u mean ... the direction it will be induced in.. or in what method it will be induced....
sorry. the direction.

shais

HSC
me121 said:

bro do u have any idea about your notes ....

jeez ... :jaw: ... Literally jaws dropping ....

it looks like a picture from ur BRAIN..

THANX ALOT MAN

me121

Premium Member
HSC
shais said:
bro do u have any idea about your notes ....
it looks like a picture from ur BRAIN..

THANX ALOT MAN
well, that was the idea. to get everything related to physics that is in my brain onto paper. no worries.

Addictd2

HSC
lol it took me forever to understand eddy currents, but from what i saw before in the posts how Lenz's law states that a changing mag field always induces an opposing current (the eddy current).

damn its hard without drawing it for you but
so say u have a metal disc rotating in a stationary magnetic field. you can use the palm rule to find out the direction of the current. so your fingers go in the direction of the mag field, your palm in the opposing force (so the opposite to how the disc is spinning, i think thats right) and the thumb is the direction of the eddy current.

lukemackinnon

HSC
me, those notes are the best. u should make that into a text book or study guide and get some money off it. they are really helpful and especially the part on lenz's law and conservation of energy. just couldnt understand it from my textbook.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
lukemackinnon said:
me, those notes are the best. u should make that into a text book or study guide and get some money off it. they are really helpful and especially the part on lenz's law and conservation of energy. just couldnt understand it from my textbook.
lol. thanks. several reasons why its not published.
1. because i've already published it online. no published would be willing to publish it when it has previously been free online (i tried [name withheld], but once i said it was currently online they no longer had any intrest, which is totally understandable.)
2. because then poor people would miss out.
3. its too much of a hassle to worry about it.
4. my chemistry teacher said he only gets about 5cents every time his book is sold

if you think its good. tell others. let them know that they can get it if they want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)