Help me with my Art major (1 Viewer)

TheKey

HSC
Hello people

I just got into Engineering/Arts and i need some advice on what major to choose for arts.

I looked at all the majors and (just going on interest) i have narrowed it down to:
- Sociology & Anthropology
- Philosophy
- Politics & International Relations

I actually plan to be an engineer, but i also want something 'different' that could be helpful in eventually getting me that managerial/supervisor/maintenance role rather than the technical/design side of things.

I have considered a major in english or linguistics but i think that would be too intensive seeing that in engineering we havent really pushed the limits beyond spelling our own names.

At the moment im leaning towards Sociology.

So yeh all advice is welcome, im also interested if you have done one of these majors how is the teaching, is it well organised and are you happy you took it?

Thanks

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
You shouldve gone for Engineering/Commerce then, for the "managerial" side of things.

I suggest doing another language, like Japanese or Chinese - that could potentially be useful 10 years down the track if you work for a multinational company

gman03

HSC
Minai said:
You shouldve gone for Engineering/Commerce then, for the "managerial" side of things.

I suggest doing another language, like Japanese or Chinese - that could potentially be useful 10 years down the track if you work for a multinational company
He did, but his UAI and WAM are too ... ouch!

In fact, if anyone could help him to decide which 2 art subjects he should choose in the upcoming semester would be suffice for the moment.

TheKey, do some econ electives as well for the managerial stuff.

Last edited:

TheKey

HSC
Thx for the reply and yeh..that was my #1 choice but i missed out (due to shitty marks) so i got my #2 Eng/Arts.

As for languages i already know 2 and Im European so i think i would have a very hard time learning an asian language...

ohne

HSC
Political science can end up being useful for management, especially if you end up working for government.

Philosophy is obviously interesting, although I don't think there are any jobs outside universities that are specifically related to it. It could be useful in broadening your education though.

I think sociology could help you in a management role as well, because there is obviously an emphasis on people. Overall, there is probably not much of a difference between these 3 subjects if you want to be an engineer. I'd just do whichever one interested me the most and I thought I would be best at.

I did POLS1002 with Rolfe this year and I thought it was quite good. I would definantly recommend a major in political science if you're interested in it. I have not studied any subjects in the school of sociology/anthropology or philosophy though.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Check out the introductory lectures or at least obtain the course outlines for subjects within those majors.

I've done 2 first yr politics subjects (except 1 of them has now become a 2nd yr subject) and enjoyed them.

Whichever major from those lists you choose will at least get you thinking.

TheKey

HSC
Thanks alot for the posts

Tho im still uneasy about all this i think philosophy sounds most interesting from the descriptions, so for now im taking 1 philosophy subject and il go from there.

Ideally i also wanted to do a few psychology subjects (for my remaining 18 Arts credit points outside the major) but they are so screwed with their prerequisites i would need to do 4 subjects to do the one i want. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)