help me (1 Viewer)

dschru_te

HSC
ok so this is my first time posting here

this is my situation: a school ranked in the 200s or so, a biology teacher who proudly admits to dragging on a topic until the end of term to "keep students engaged", its the start of week 3 term 1 of year 12 and we haven't even had our 2nd lesson into mod 6 yet,

if you read this please tell me what I should do to get a band 6 because I genuinely like the subject and really want to pursue a degree in the field of biology

thank you

dschru_te

HSC
other than tutoring, what are some study techniques that for eg you have used for bio that I can use aswell?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC

this is my situation: a school ranked in the 200s or so, a biology teacher who proudly admits to dragging on a topic until the end of term to "keep students engaged", its the start of week 3 term 1 of year 12 and we haven't even had our 2nd lesson into mod 6 yet,

if you read this please tell me what I should do to get a band 6 because I genuinely like the subject and really want to pursue a degree in the field of biology

thank you
Study independently. You can obtain the pearson/focus (or whatever brand) biology textbook possibly from your teacher/science faculty and study ahead (to your liking) so it matches your own pace, if you need help, you can go to faculty teachers and ask them with questions. Otherwise, the internet will have loads of answers and sites like BoS or discord servers like conquerHSC will have tons of resources and people that can try helping.

I haven't studied biology but i've had friends that have done it and it seems to be more of an essay/writing intensive subject so you'll have to be adept in answering questions to the criteria so I'd suggest just going forward to some HSC papers and checking the marking criteria and their model answers. I did this for my HSC long responses in physics and emulating the style of the model answers early on will definitely benefit you in the long run. A big mistake I see is people conflate long responses in science to something similar in english or eco where they usually overload and dump their knowledge rather than being precise and concise, losing them marks.

Another option is tutoring as aforementioned but by no means is it vital given you are able to organise yourself. Many people do get B6s without tutoring but if you can afford it, why not? There are many examples of people who've succeeded without tutoring so don't feel like you NEED it to succeed, I find that people who do tutoring and don't but are successful in the HSC are able to self-teach to an extent and use online resources to supplement their tuition/school study.

ssreganr

HSC

thank you
use edrolo and pearson txtbook to learn ahead, n then jus spam questions

nsw..wollongong

HSC
yeah just self-study, since bio is mostly memorising content and applying it i don't think tutoring would help too much at this point

raindance42

HSC
bit late but on self study - first going through the content, learning it - youtube videos, drawing diagrams, basically just reorganising / synthesising / summarising information to get your head around it. then it's just practice questions - don't use the ones for the old syllabus, the question style changed, but the NESA sample 2019 questions are good, and bio had lots of trials available out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)