HELP! need translation (1 Viewer)

sm8

HSC
HEY! everyone!
i was wondeing if anyone here would be able to translate some parts of that "We are Australian" song.

We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream and sing with one voice:
I am, you are, we are Australian.

</pre>

if anyone can i would appreciate it heaps!
-Thanks

Oritsuro

HSC
Very strange request...Meh, I'll give it a shot. Direct translation in plain form.

Bokura ha hitori, dakedo ooi,
subete no tochi kara bokura ga kita
yume no onkei wo koumutte, hitotsu no koi de utau
boku ha, anata ha, bokura ha goushuu jin

rhia

salty
HSC
Oritsuro said:
Very strange request...Meh, I'll give it a shot. Direct translation in plain form.

i'm not doing continuers &/or extention as you appear to be, but i don't think that a song which is not sung by only the male members of our country should use boku or bokura. instead, perhaps watashi and watashitachi?

X

xeuyrawp

LottoX said:
Watashitachi would sound funny.

But if it's just for direct translation, watashitachi would be fine.

I'm not sure of "boku"'s casual-ness
What about warera?

watashitachi implies a group of people without the cohesion of warera. Oristuro's translation looks good, but I don't think the parataxis of the English makes sense in that Japanese. Eg and sing with one voice, - maybe that requires the use of simultaneous -te form?

yume no onkei wo koumutte, I don't get that bit, doesn't seem like the right verb for sharing. And surely there's a way to express sharing of a yume without creating a genitive no onkei?

Just curious... *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xeuyrawp

LottoX said:
Ware is used for extremely formal things i.e. the Japanese constitution.
And anthems.

Then again, we really don't take anthems as seriously as Japanese people, I think most Japanese businessmen take their corporate anthems more seriously than we take our national anthem...

Oritsuro

HSC
PwarYuex said:
yume no onkei wo koumutte, I don't get that bit, doesn't seem like the right verb for sharing. And surely there's a way to express sharing of a yume without creating a genitive no onkei?

Just curious... *shrugs*
yume no onkei wo koumutte implies a benefitting from the dream. buntan suru and wakeru both mean a dividing or allotment, which I'm sure isn't what the lyrics are trying to say.

X

xeuyrawp

LottoX said:
Anthems aren't as formal as constitutions. In fact, they are quite informal.
Yup, they sure are. I think it's because historically, they came from tanka, although I might be generalising based on the recent controversy surrounding 'Kimi ga Yo' and the few corporate anthems that I've read or heard.

Edit: Sorry just saw Oritsuro's post

Oritsuro said:
yume no onkei wo koumutte implies a benefitting from the dream. buntan suru and wakeru both mean a dividing or allotment, which I'm sure isn't what the lyrics are trying to say.
Yeah that's true. Hmm, I still think there's another word for when people share something. I vaguely remember something about sharing a bath or a meal?

It's all very hazy. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Oritsuro

HSC
Ah, it came to me! 'yume wo kyouyuusuru': co-ownership of a dream.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
Oritsuro said:

hahaha
"bokura ha hitori" - we are alone

X

xeuyrawp

mushroom_head said:
hahaha
"bokura ha hitori" - we are alone
But it comes from a cardinal number for one with the radical for person, not an adjective like alone. More like we are one person. Maybe look at the kanji...?

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
yeah i know what you mean, but the context of the song isn't literally 'we are one person' but more of 'we are unified'

anyway... hitori can mean alone/one person/by yourself

oO.michelle.Oo

HSC
i think i should be "hitotsu" not hitori even tho hitotsu is for counting objects. thats what i remember from this jap song i noe so.. it should be right..
but why r we translating the australian anthem newaiz??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)