Help needed for sparta dottie. (1 Viewer)

Haisux

HSC
Hi
I need notes on sparta for this dot point:

5. Religion, death and burial, and systems of belief and practice including
Beliefs, practices, organisation and buildings.
Relationship with Delphi.
Funeral rites for the kings.

???? can anyone help me out!??
I need to write a speech on this dot point so any info will help.. :D
thank you.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
im pretty sure there are notes on the dot point in the resources section but ill tell u wat i kno from the top of my head:
-Only men who died in battle or women or died in childbirth received marked graves.
-When a king died, i think everyone had to proclaim that he was the best king ever, and messengers rode all over sparta to proclaim his death. Also all debt was cancelled.
-The Spartans were extremely supersticious, taking omens very seriously. They even avoided battle in the name of festivals, like when they delayed ariving at Thermopylae to meet the Persians (I think it was the Carneia). They celebrated numerous festivals throughout the year as dedication to the gods, for good harvests, etc.
-They worshipped all of the Olympian gods, and claimed relations with hero.es such as Hercules, Agamemnon, and Helen.
-The kings had the responsibility of protecting the delphic oracle.
-Sparta had pithoi who were basically representatives from Sparta who asked the Delphic oracle in matters concerning Sparta.
hope that helps :)

Haisux

HSC
Thanks for that... thats from the top of your head :| pretty good job :)

Ive looked under resources there is some stuff on like religion n shit.. i dunno i just not finding enough info on the other focuses of the dot point.. i'll give it a try anyway.
thank you again,

Keef88

HSC
karneia, hyakinthia and gymnopaiedia are the festivals.
and they worshipped the 12 principal gods + the dioscuri (castor and polydeuces), helen and menelaus. that is all i can think of right now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)