Help Now Plz (1 Viewer)

*hopeful*

HSC
I've got my exam in like 3 hours n i just did a question bout remote and local directories n i dont know wat d hell they are?
help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

L7

yeah i got no idea what your talking about? is it to do with communications?

JRasnier

its from the communications chapter..

A remote directory is that like from a file server or mainframe, where ur accesing files from a computer other then the one ur using....

A local directory is just that local, from ur computer, such as your computers harddrive, or cdrom....

rx72c

Yes that is correct, remote means not on your computer and on any other computer in a network or on the internet.

L7

common knowledge...they are looking for comp terms...add in trojans and how you use them on people, specially HSC markers...and youll get top marks

JRasnier

i think he means DSS, A decision support system are information systems that are used to AID the user in decision making....remember they AID, man i know the spelling is wrong but cant think of the spelling of it, its important cause ppl think that DSS make the decisions for u...

Freakin_Ot_Gal

well ive 2 hours left 2 study and i'm FREAKIN out ok a detailed short summary of chapters if 1,2,3,5,7 ANYONE HEEEEELP!!

dAn1

no case studies that i know of? I'm in the same boat as u, shit teacher doesn't say anything.

lucky these 2 units aren't counting towards my UAI as my results in my other 10 units are 101x better than ipt...

should of dropped this a long time ago!!!

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Not four. Just have one in your mind, if you can think of one. There's one in chapter 4, but it's rubbish. Use it if you have to.

I don't have the book here, being ex-HSC, but you can ask specific questions. Sorry. :(

(Edit - typo.)

Last edited:

pan3dol

please help me to understand the communication part

i still have fairly poor ideas in the router, hub, switches and gateway concepts... how can we apply those in real scenarios???

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Ok, I'll start from the ground and work upwards:

Hub - allows multiple computers to talk to eachother on a Local Area Network. 'Dumb' - anything it receives it retransmits to all the other computers attached to it.

Switch - a 'smart' hub: it only retransmits messages to the destination, not everyone else.

Router - a switch that allows LANs to be connected together.

Gateway - Provides a 'bridge' from one network to another (eg. LAN to WAN (internet)).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)