HELP...Optometry or Pharmacy (1 Viewer)

gyva85

HSC
Hi,
I have accepted my offer for optometry and i have received an offer into Pharmacy in the Late round. Now im stumped as to which course i should choose. I like both of them just as much....please, any advice as to future prospects...

cheers!!

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
optometry might have more money in it......specially when fixing up cases like dis :D:

jimmik

HSC
help

i'd like to revive this thread..and say im in the same situation as gyva85. the only thing is i took it one step further and enrolled in both optometry AND pharmacy..but i hav to choose one to withdraw from before the census date..sooOOOoo could somebody please help me here! i seriously don't kno which i want. it's both the same to me and i want to do both but that's just impossible so could somebody maybe help make the choice a bit easier? and asap! thnx

Last edited:

thebach

HSC
I personally think pharmacy is the way to go, theres more career oppurtunities and chance to start your own business. I would say pharmacist earns much more than what HSC 4 LIFE suggested as many people even pharmacists themselves say they earn approximately 60-80 thousand dollars a year and it doubles as you open your own pharmacy and gain more experience. Optometry is also good but it just depends on what you would like to do in the future.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
I dunno y r u pple still replying to this thread....da poor guy/girl who needed advice...needed it ages ago. It's too late now

thebach

HSC
HSC 4 LIFE are you starting pharmacy this year if you are i see you there!!!!!!!!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
i wonder why Usyd doesn't offer optometry and UNSW doesn't offer pharmacy.
bleh, the uni's are just a bunch of cheap pricks

jimmik

HSC
thanks everybody for replying - and no it wasn't too late LoneShadow since i had enrolled in both courses n had until the census date to eliminate one =) i've done my research on both careers to death and i think pharm is more suitable to me so gudbye optom & its 25hr weeks and heLLLoo usyd! altho i heard the hrs for pharm are only slightly betta. o well, i have HSC 4 Life and thebach to suffer with me! =P go us! hehe

jimmik

HSC
Bob.J said:
i wonder why Usyd doesn't offer optometry and UNSW doesn't offer pharmacy.
bleh, the uni's are just a bunch of cheap pricks
lol, yeh it would hav been so much easier to unenrol in optom and enrol in pharm if both courses were offered at one uni.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
jimmik said:
so gudbye optom & its 25hr weeks and heLLLoo usyd!

um, my HS friend in pharmacy did 30-34 hours a week in 2nd year.
I hope this doesn't change your mind...

kow_dude

HSC
thebach said:
I personally think pharmacy is the way to go, theres more career oppurtunities and chance to start your own business. I would say pharmacist earns much more than what HSC 4 LIFE suggested as many people even pharmacists themselves say they earn approximately 60-80 thousand dollars a year and it doubles as you open your own pharmacy
There are so many pharmacy undergraduates wanting to open their own business. I don't understand how they can earn "60-80 thousand dollars a year" if there are already hundreds or pharmacy stores out there. Moreover, how often does your family get sick to buy drugs? So i dont know where all this money is coming from. According to "The Good Universities Guide", starting salaries for graduates are "very low".

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
yeh, graduates earn a median income of $29k a year. Some might get lucky to hit the 40K mark (if they're lucky).

Starting your own pharmacy is EXPENSIVE... you need lots of assets or rich partners if you want to open a pharmacy. Many work in pharmaceutical companies and i guess that's where the $$ is without the hardships of running a private business.

jimmik

HSC
Bob.J said:
um, my HS friend in pharmacy did 30-34 hours a week in 2nd year.
I hope this doesn't change your mind...
omg u srz? -___-
well..i cnt opt out now so might as well face the challenge. i say bring it on!!

jimmik

HSC
Bob.J said:
yeh, graduates earn a median income of $29k a year. Some might get lucky to hit the 40K mark (if they're lucky).

Starting your own pharmacy is EXPENSIVE... you need lots of assets or rich partners if you want to open a pharmacy. Many work in pharmaceutical companies and i guess that's where the $$ is without the hardships of running a private business.
that's very true but if ur willing to take the risk and if u want it bad enuf u'll find a way to get there n b that pharmacist with ur own shop

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
jimmik said:
that's very true but if ur willing to take the risk and if u want it bad enuf u'll find a way to get there n b that pharmacist with ur own shop
yeh, that's for sure...how else do all those other pharmacy grads get to where they are earning over a million a year *drool*

i guess you could take up a parttime job at a pharmacy and suck up to the owner and ask how he got to where he is.

envy87

HSC
kow_dude said:
There are so many pharmacy undergraduates wanting to open their own business. I don't understand how they can earn "60-80 thousand dollars a year" if there are already hundreds or pharmacy stores out there. Moreover, how often does your family get sick to buy drugs? So i dont know where all this money is coming from. According to "The Good Universities Guide", starting salaries for graduates are "very low".
but according to another survey, which was quoted int he SMH last yr, overall Pharmacists end up having the highest salary of all jobs. so while graduating salary might be low, once u get ur own business, or a senior position in another one, the salary skyrockets.

jimmik

HSC
~*HSC 4 life*~ said:
pharmacists, whether you believe it or not are actually in demand, hence there is 100% employment, opening your own business is another story, but 95% of pharmacy graduates go into community pharmacy

and about the 'very low' starting salary, it is true that pharmacists are the lowest paid in their 1st year of work, but this in fact is technically your 5th year of study, because during this year of work you are stll beign examined and when u pass this exam then you can finally become a registered pharmacist.

edit: the money is coming from the fact that only pharmacists are allowed to open pharmacies.
its true pharmacists are in demand but that's at the moment, it doesnt necessarily mean by the tym i graduate and start work this trend will continue. looking around, i see so many pharmacies open shop - will the demand remain this way in the future?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
saqif is doing pharmacy. he didnt think hed get in but he did. sounds good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)