help pls (1 Viewer)

Illumin@ti

HSC
So, l couldn't find the proper answers to this question on google:
What 3 laws were reformed as a result of the Skaf case, and why?
It'd be great if you guys helped me out.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
1) Jury Act 1977 (NSW) --> case of r v skaf there was juror misconduct as 2 jurors in one of the trials went to the alleged crime scene to do their own investigations (i think it was to check like the lighting of the crime scene/lighting conditions at night)

^this law was amended into the Jury Amendment Act 2004 (NSW) (specifically s68c) -- states that "making inquiries about trial matters is punishable by 50 penalty units and/or 2 years imprisonment"

2) Criminal Procedure Act 1986 (NSW) to the Criminal Procedure Amendment Act 2005 (NSW).
the amendment included evidence being recorded, where if a retrial was ordered the victims will not need to reiterate evidence (mostly for sexual assault victims i think so they wouldnt have to recount their experience again as its traumatic)

3) The Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Amendment (Victim Impact Statements) Act 2004 -- a local court may receive and consider VIS includes some indictable offences. This amendment making it easier for the victims of emotionally traumatic experiences to give evidence within the trial process.

4) Crimes Act 1900 --> Crimes Amendment (Aggravated Sexual Assault in. Company) Act 2001 -- The maximum penalty is imprisonment for life. The standard non-parole period is imprisonment for 15 years.

Illumin@ti

HSC
1) Jury Act 1977 (NSW) --> case of r v skaf there was juror misconduct as 2 jurors in one of the trials went to the alleged crime scene to do their own investigations (i think it was to check like the lighting of the crime scene/lighting conditions at night)

^this law was amended into the Jury Amendment Act 2004 (NSW) (specifically s68c) -- states that "making inquiries about trial matters is punishable by 50 penalty units and/or 2 years imprisonment"

2) Criminal Procedure Act 1986 (NSW) to the Criminal Procedure Amendment Act 2005 (NSW).
the amendment included evidence being recorded, where if a retrial was ordered the victims will not need to reiterate evidence (mostly for sexual assault victims i think so they wouldnt have to recount their experience again as its traumatic)

3) The Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Amendment (Victim Impact Statements) Act 2004 -- a local court may receive and consider VIS includes some indictable offences. This amendment making it easier for the victims of emotionally traumatic experiences to give evidence within the trial process.

4) Crimes Act 1900 --> Crimes Amendment (Aggravated Sexual Assault in. Company) Act 2001 -- The maximum penalty is imprisonment for life. The standard non-parole period is imprisonment for 15 years.
lifesaver, thank you so much :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)