Help Plz, what else are they looking for in essays? (1 Viewer)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
damn

well some essays i saw r so polished up, i have no idea wat they r talkin about. o_O

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
My history teacher emphasises the importance of sophisticated language so I guess it should be important in English essays as well. :D:D

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
1/5kiwifruit said:
My history teacher emphasises the importance of sophisticated language so I guess it should be important in English essays as well. :D:D

my history teacher emphasises that you shouldn't use big words to impress the markets esp if you don't know what they mean or are just putting them in there to look "smart".

mitsui said:
damn

well some essays i saw r so polished up, i have no idea wat they r talkin about. o_O
haha i know what you mean. some history extension essays and sources i have seen are so sophisticated that it's literally unreadable ! like omgosh wouldn't it be easier just to use normal words and actually get straight to the point lol. i think there jus tryna show off to us !

Last edited:

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol though don't take the sophisticated approach too seriously. There was a dude in my English tuition class/school class who kept using words that he didn't even know, in fact this guy couldn't even pronounce those words let alone understand the meaning of them. In every essay he wrote it was practically so complex that you wouldn't even know what he was trying to say.

Btw, for those who use Microsoft Word, beware of the synonyms function, and only change that word if you feel that its 'right' to do so.

After my trial exams, I was able to locate my element of essay writing in that I needed a solid thesis which was constructed in the introduction and used continuously throughout the body, in other words, always answer the essay question, and if needed, repeat the keywords of that question, that's what allowed me to get into band 6.

Another thing that I found when correcting yr 11 essays was that alot of students tended to forget linkage between each paragraph, so say at the end of the introduction students would sometimes forget to end it off by answering the essay question direct.

So if it was an Impacts of a journey Discussion question, the end of the introduction could be: "Just as the sentimental impacts are felt by immigrants at Central Station[/i]", so too are the travellers in ...."

Then the next aspect would be again referring to impacts in the 1st sentence of your 1st body paragraph, linking it to your first text, or even 2 texts in discussion [similiarity/difference]. I'll post up the essay I used in trials/hsc soon, probably write a short essay guide.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I reckon that answering the question and writing a well structured essay is the way to go if you want band 6, and sprinkling a few of those elevated words does help. Also practise, practise, practise! ;)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Mmmm hmm totally! :) Darn, too bad I didn't keep a copy of his essay, otherwise it'd be a good example of sophistication-overuse.

Though after skim reading the attached essay in this topic, I believe a really vital element is your introduction. You must answer the question at all costs, the 1st sentence is a generalisation ><, try linking it to the Impacts of a journey. E.g.

The development of the human nature are one of the most significant impacts felt upon most physical journeys.

Lol, that above may still be a simplistic intro, but you'd probably get what I mean.

Additionally, talking back to the start of this thread, the introduction just like any part of the essay is important, every word you write down is accounted, and judged for marks. Length is not an issue, but one thing for sure is, be concise at all times, although teachers may request students to do how many A4 pages,etc etc [Which I find to be morally wrong, since it takes over quality] it tends to force students into thinking "What's the best possible approach to changing one word into a whole sentence?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)