help refining question for project (1 Viewer)

Jennibeans

HSC
I'm having some trouble with the wording of my question. the question i had was
how has the media portrayal of saddam hussein shaped the world's understanding of this controversial figure and what can be learnt from this about the role and reliability of the media in the investigation of history?

but my teacher says and i have discovered that this is way too broad. does anyone have any suggestions for making it more focused? any help much appreciated.

Jennibeans

HSC
ANY....

People I've helped you out
Any help with this would be much appreciated

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
how about CHANGING PERSPECTIVES ON SADAM HUSAIN,

look at how over time different peopel have peirceved him differently and invesugate why this si so...pretty much what u wanted to do..ha ah if u need more clarification on what i mean drop us a line!

| n i s s y |

HSC
YEh ur teachers right!...thats ONE reallly long question!~

Ur question seems like theres two questions in it...y dont u just do one of em...

how has the media portrayal of saddam hussein shaped the world's understanding of this controversial figure

OR

the role and reliability of the media in the portrayal of Sadamm hussein

Your topic is really modern!....Im doin sumthin along the modern side to (the moon landing hoax)...im curious to know how u plan on finding non-internet resources on ur topic....coz i cant find n e thin on mine!...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Jennibeans
I'm having some trouble with the wording of my question. the question i had was
how has the media portrayal of saddam hussein shaped the world's understanding of this controversial figure and what can be learnt from this about the role and reliability of the media in the investigation of history?

but my teacher says and i have discovered that this is way too broad. does anyone have any suggestions for making it more focused? any help much appreciated.
You should be able to narrow this down to specific issues that relate to historiography (and this is the key to the course).

You must remember that your essay relates to the key questions:
Key Questions:
What are the historical debates?
Who are the historians?
What are the aims and purposes of history?
How has history been constructed and recorded over time?
Why have the approaches to history changed over time?
It is always easier to be able to talk about history with the benefit of hindsight, a lot of this related to the Iraq War and media is still panning out (e.g. Lord Hutton's Inquiry into the BBC, the "independent" review and inquiry that the US is going to hold into it and so on). That said, we already have the history of it developing through the critiques and criticisms that are continually being given by everyone ever lol, though we still have no idea how this will shape the future.

Your essay sounds a bit too "English" for me though, especially with the word shape which is generally used in English ad infinitem (and nauseum...).

My EE2 project is sort of loosely related to your question here. I'm doing a webpage on propaganda and it will cover much of the ground you're covering (except I'll need to make it more english with techniques and how it shapes meaning and ideas and all that crap...).

Now: "role and reliability of the media in the investigation of history?"
This is better for History because you will be able to explore the key questions of the course. I don't know how you're going to structure it, personally I would pick one point in time. For example, pick World War One and you can have a field day on the sources from the media (Punch magazine, newspaper articles) and even more so with WWII as you have Hitler and the British propaganda machines (and the BBC was fantastic at this, even Gobbels envied the BBC!).

So you should really narrow down your question based upon the requirements of the course - historiography. On any topic you choose you will have to talk about conflicting viewpoints of Historians, how the viewpoints have changed over time and all that fun stuff...

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
I'm finding that the hardest part of this history project is writing the question... Its so hard to include this historical study into the question...

snot

hey, im really startin to stress now ive basically have decided on what i want to do my project around but i have no idea on the question.
the idea i had was like on the titanic and its sisters ships (was it the real titanic). but now i dont know how im going to base my question:confused:
any ideas would be awsome

Jennibeans

HSC
that titanic idea is pretty involved. ive seen very little information regarding her sister ships other than that accident with the olympic i think. make sure theres historiography on the topic before you go ahead with it. post any further ideas n ill see if i can think of a question

snot

ok thanks but i think ive changed my idea again now im going to look at the main stages of the life of the Titanic and compare how the veiws upon the Titanic have changed since then. still not sure if this would meet the requirments. wat do ya tink.

Jennibeans

HSC
talk to your teacher is my recommendation see if your idea will work. if it does check how historian walter lord. he wrote the text a night to remember and another text that i cant remember the name of but his stuff is quite accessible

erica

HSC
Hey guys, my question is "Evaluate the extent to which the differing purposes and medium of historians affect their depiction of historical personalities and events, in particular the portrayal of Alexander the Great. What do you think, is it a fair enough question????
thanks so much!!!
erica
quick edit: thanks jenni!!!!

Last edited:

Jennibeans

HSC
sounds good. if you can find the differing historical interpretations (which im assuming you've started doing) then it should be good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)