Help setting up my time table :) (1 Viewer)

d-pilipovic

HSC
I received and accepted an offer for Advanced Science at UNSW and I'm having some trouble creating my time table.
I've come to the conclusion that I want to major (most likely) in biotechnology.. though I'm also leaning towards biochemistry.
Apparently according to this (http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2012/BIOTB13972.html)
In the first stage I have to
BABS1201 Molecules, Cells and Genes (6 UOC)
BIOT1011 Introductory Biotechnology (6 UOC)

but then I start failing to understand, I also have
MATH1031 Mathematics for Life Sciences (6 UOC) 1
MATH1041 Statistics for Life and Social Sciences (6 UOC) 2
but apparently
1 MATH1131 Mathematics 1A, or MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A may be taken instead of MATH1031
2 MATH1231 Mathematics 1B, or MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B may be taken instead of MATH1041
is there any advantage to taking a higher maths, and if so could which of these could I cope with, (my hsc maths mark was 84).

Similarly I have to do:
CHEM1011 Chemistry A (6 UOC) or CHEM1031 Higher Chemistry A (6 UOC)
CHEM1021 Chemistry B (6 UOC) or CHEM1041 Higher Chemistry B (6 UOC)
I did Chem in the hsc, received a hsc mark of 85 and an exam mark of 88, could I cope with the higher chemistry, is there really an advantage to it, remembering that i have to maintain 70+ wam for my course.

and finally:
"4. SCIF1121 Advanced Science: Professional Perspective and Practice (6 units of credit) or SCIF1131 Science: Technological and Professional Perspectives (6 units of credit) must be completed in first year."
Which of these should I do?

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

HSC
Uni Grad
MATH1141 kinda requires you to have got at least E4 in 3U maths, so unless if you're willing to put that effort in I'd strong suggest not to take MATH1141.

d-pilipovic

HSC
MATH1141 kinda requires you to have got at least E4 in 3U maths, so unless if you're willing to put that effort in I'd strong suggest not to take MATH1141.
Yeah, I kind of only did 2 unit maths (mathematics) do you recommend I just do the "MATH1031 Mathematics for Life Sciences (6 UOC)"

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, how do you feel about maths? Do you want to do minimum requirements or do you want to challenge yourself because you're a bit interested in maths and like to do more challenging material?

d-pilipovic

HSC
Well, how do you feel about maths? Do you want to do minimum requirements or do you want to challenge yourself because you're a bit interested in maths and like to do more challenging material?
Personally If there isn't really an added benefit I would stick to MATH1031, but I'm thinking of doing 'CHEM1031 Higher Chemistry A',it's just that this wam requirement is making me nervous and I'm less inclined to pick these harder subjects, are there stats anywhere on the amount of people who are dropped from Adv science to regular science after a year or so?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh okay, well there's no real benefit to taking MATH1131 if you're just thinking of doing your degree. And Advanced Science people, I think have to take Higher versions of subjects where possible - but just double check that on your handbook. I know for me, I must take all my maths courses at a higher level.

And I think about 5-10% drop out after first year. That's for Adv. Maths though.

d-pilipovic

HSC
Oh okay, well there's no real benefit to taking MATH1131 if you're just thinking of doing your degree. And Advanced Science people, I think have to take Higher versions of subjects where possible - but just double check that on your handbook. I know for me, I must take all my maths courses at a higher level.

And I think about 5-10% drop out after first year. That's for Adv. Maths though.
Thanks, and I guess you're right

" 9. Where offered in a particular major students must take higher versions of courses. Any variation to this must be approved by the Associate Dean (Undergraduate Programs) or nominee.

This rule only applies to courses typically at level II and III in a major (or in some cases level I courses considered to be core for the major). It does not apply to fundamental knowledge building level I courses in a major. Not all Bachelor of Science (Advanced) majors have advanced level courses, but where a major does, Advanced Science students must take these higher level courses. Please refer to the Advanced Science plan entries in this Handbook which indicate where higher courses must be taken. "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)